Bugman's XXXXXXX - May 21-22, Nottingham, UK

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Wightlord
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Bugman's XXXXXXX - May 21-22, Nottingham, UK

Post by Wightlord »

In the final analysis my resistance to attending had all the tensile strength of a wet paper bag... Ticket and room booked, now to pick a team that floats my boat!

Reason: ''
Things you never expect to hear in a sane world......"I went home a broken man. Contemplating my place in a universe where Shaniepoo was king" - No Number
And..."Shaniepoo is our glorious champion!" - Leipziger
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Did my sums wrong and have more cash to spend. Considering being the first person ever to take J Earlice! Though Hack Enslash probably more sensible and fun :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Maverick
Legend
Legend

Post by Maverick »

Some one took earlice to exiles last year ;)

"Even if you win the Rat Race you're still a RAT"

Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Sann is the offer to borrow a team still open? I'll buy you a beer! :)

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Yep! Any particular flavour of team? Let me know roster and will sort.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

JT-Y wrote:But how do we know what skills are available to Stars?

I'm getting a bit sick of this lack of understanding displayed by the WHW staff.
this present in this file: http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.co ... rs-v.2.pdf
Star Players, like any other player in the league can earn a skill after a game in a similar way to regular players. (see Playing in the Bugman’s XXXXXX League Cup on page 27 of the rules). If you decide you want your Star Player to receive a Skill upgrade after a game, instead of following the usual rules, declare this to your opponent and roll a D8 to see which category the skill can come from. After all, Star Players follow their own training routines, and they know what's best for them!
D8 Result
1-2 Choose any General skill of your choice
3-4 Choose any Passing skill of your choice
5-6 Choose any Agility skill of your choice
7-8 Choose any Strength skill of your choice
NOTE: Unlike other players, Star Players can only receive one additional skill during the event.
so, we could not predict the skill we would get (for example, no strip ball on jordell or roxanna, if not 1-2 on this D8...)

it would be sad to get a passing skill on an grasnak :lol:

Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Magictobe »

babass wrote:
I would not mind to get leader on grashnak.

Be4ch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Be4ch »

Magictobe wrote:
babass wrote:
Why take the risk? I'm spending 30k TV on the Bugman's sponsorship and giving my star player Leader that way :D They even confirmed that if you give the star the sponsorship it won't count as the "one additional skill" they can take so, if you want, you could still take a chance and roll another skill for them.

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

babass wrote:this present in this file:
It is now. It wasn't when they decided to change the rules and when I posted.

Thanks for reminding me.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Be4ch wrote:
Magictobe wrote:
babass wrote:
Why take the risk? I'm spending 30k TV on the Bugman's sponsorship and giving my star player Leader that way :D They even confirmed that if you give the star the sponsorship it won't count as the "one additional skill" they can take so, if you want, you could still take a chance and roll another skill for them.
+1 :)

all nurgle/chaos/chaosdwarves coachs would defintly already buy this "30k" RR :)

Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

What a great event, was huge fun. Too many good stories to relay them all but my highlights were:

. The atmosphere and community there was excellent. There are a lot of people we have never met before that are passionate and love the game.

. All of my opponents were awesome people that I'd have loved to spend more time with. Laurie, Simon, Jon, Johnny, and Gaz were all a credit to the game.

. Yes that's right I played our very own froggy jbone in game 4 in what is the best most fun game of bb i have ever played. From him first seeing me sat opposite to the last roll of the dice (sann has a picture) it was pure entertainment. Quad skulls were double high fived, jbone did at least one dance, and when he tells you to "watch this" you really want to be paying attention!

. The games were very entertaining. I was thinking on the drive home how to explain it and the best I could come up with was this. You know chess puzzles you can get online or in some papers? These rules made it more like doing a series of chess puzzles rather than playing a chess game. Every single one of my turns started with me asking "now where is my completion going to come from?". Strategy was out the window but tactics were in full force.

. The rules do need some tweaking even if they want to keep this style because the top 4 teams were wood elves.

. Although the wait at the end was too long there was a polish to the event that we can take some learnings from.

. I met Andy Hoare and was very impressed by his passion and approach for the game. He confirmed he was not looking to piss people off (who woulda thought?) and was looking to bring back blood bowl to grow the community and be a success. They are looking to use CRP as a ruleset and in addition the season 1 of deathzone would be out the same time with league rules.

. At thus stage they are just looking to get as many high quality teams produced as possible. Linemen are looking to be multipart plastic while positionals will be high quality forgeworld resin.

. The orc and human teams looked much better in the flesh than in pics i had seen. The orcs in particular are a lot less toothy. Hard to work out the positionals i thought.

. The way Andy spoke about his plans showed he has put a lot of thought into this. Very hard to explain that over the internet but I was very convinced that bb is in safe hands with him.

Scrappa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scrappa »

I went to the event and had an amazing time.

Anyone who read the event pack and knew Blood Bowl knew that Elves were gonna be the stars, and it worked out that way. The top 8 teams were:

1) Wood Elves
2) Wood Elves
3) Wood Elves
4) Wood Elves
5) High Elves
6) Goblins - (Me! HOORAY for throw teammate)
7) Skaven
8) Pro Elves

Besides the video game, it had been some time since I'd played Blood Bowl and I made some bad rookie mistakes the first day - I thought I had handed off the ball to someone when I hadn't and handed a touchdown to a Skaven player and the first day, I played Blood Bowl rather than playing to the tournament. Originally, my thought was to just win the 'Sending off' trophy by taking all the special weapons(Except Nobbla as he's just too expensive for what he does). Turned out that besides not giving campaign points, they didn't even count as being sent off for purposes of the trophy(Which hadn't been made obvious).

The first day, I faced Halflings(And won 4-1) - My mistake was using special weapons to cause casualties on the halflings as they didn't score points and I was just playing Blood Bowl at this point rather than looking to get additional points. My second game was against Orcs and I won 3-2, again playing as if I wanted to win Blood Bowl games rather than play to the event. The third game was a Skaven game, where I won 3-2 and gave up a touchdown because I had forgotten who had the ball. Again, I played the game rather than to the tournament, got some casualties from special weapons and generally played like that.

Second day, I just played to the tournament. I faced Wood Elves and won 4-2, then a SPECTACULAR game against Norse with a 4-4 tie.

In every game, I ended with about 4-5 players on the field.

Ultimately, the tournament was amazing. Wonderful people, the rules were sound and I loved the use of Star Players. To me, Blood Bowl HAS to have chainsaws, people being run over by steamrollers, bombs and snake-charming Elves. Part of the charm of Blood Bowl is its over-the-top nature. If it sounds like I was bothered by the rules that favoured Elves, I can promise I am not. I knew that going in. I was rusty, made a few rookie mistakes, but managed to have some spectacular games.

I think the Skaven and Wood Elf player didn't like the Ripper/Scrappa combo, but if any players can't complain about 1 turn touchdown shenanigans, it is literally any Skaven or Wood Elf player. Great players, all, but I got the feeling the Skaven and Wood Elf player were frustrated by me being down to 5 players and having the plan:

Set up Ripper(Who rolled Passing as his skill advantage and chose Nerves of Steel). Put Scrappa behind him. Give Scrappa the ball and surround him with my last few players one square out to keep him getting attacked. Throw Scrappa. if it fails, save reroll for landing. Try again next time. If it passes, walk in for touchdown.

Literally 14 of the 18 touchdowns I made over the weekend were made by Scrappa in some form.

Everyone were great opponents, though and a great time was had by all. I would keep these rules for another tournament

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Don't stop at 8!

Many congratulations for your placing. I was hoping to be top Ag3 team, but hadn't reckoned with the stunty madness.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Scrappa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scrappa »

sann0638 wrote:Don't stop at 8!

Many congratulations for your placing. I was hoping to be top Ag3 team, but hadn't reckoned with the stunty madness.
Your wish is my command!

https://www.facebook.com/GWWarhammerWor ... =3&theater

This is the first of 3 pages that show results.

Scrappa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scrappa »

You know... You were, besides the Skaven and myself, the only non-elf in the top 10. :o Skaven have their scoring shenanigans, so it's not a surprise.

You must have been playing amazing to do as well as you did with the Necromantic team. My results were more, "Pray to land" and then walk in with no chance to stop me. You had to actually worry about a turn of people fighting back!