Ochil Bowl 2016 Stirling August 20th and 21st

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Re: Ochil Bowl 2016 Stirling August 20th and 21st

Post by Pipey »

For anyone considering making the trip, this in an incredible venue with loads of gaming space with a café and shop on site. Delighted you've upgraded to two days Mr bigdog. A new highlight on the Scottish circuit!

Reason: ''
UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Big Dog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Big Dog »

Mike_Rushby wrote:Thanks for the clarification - just thought we should get it out of the way early! Might be worth updating the rules pack with it to be honest...
Rule pack's been updated and I've also updated the link in the main post. The new pack can be found here https://www.dropbox.com/s/4w5gr18uglm19 ... 6.pdf?dl=0

Big Dog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Big Dog »

pipey wrote:For anyone considering making the trip, this in an incredible venue with loads of gaming space with a café and shop on site. Delighted you've upgraded to two days Mr bigdog. A new highlight on the Scottish circuit!
Glad to hear the geordie's are planning on making the trip once again. :D

Big Dog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Big Dog »

Garrick wrote:
Mike_Rushby wrote:Thanks for the clarification - just thought we should get it out of the way early! Might be worth updating the rules pack with it to be honest...
Good point as it is not in the CRP rules and therefore is a modification to the established competition rules ;)

Is the restriction that Star Players may not take your team to over 16 players still in place or is that being modified as well?

In fact I have a list of another 100 odd modifications I would like to clarify, alternatively we could just stick with the rules as they are and stop messing around with them? Just an idea!

Oh and whilst I am in rant mode, it is a delight to see that the "2 Doubles and no more that 2 of" additional skill set has been retained in spite of a lengthy conversation last year about why it benefits the two strongest races to the detriment of all the rest, discourages diversity and encourages power gaming.
The rules pack has been updated with the change to star players.

As for the configuration of the skills, I discussed your suggestions with a number of other players last year and most people were happy for it to stay as it is. Having different tournaments with different set ups encourages diversity in itself by keeping events different.

Pipey

Post by Pipey »

Big Dog wrote:
pipey wrote:For anyone considering making the trip, this in an incredible venue with loads of gaming space with a café and shop on site. Delighted you've upgraded to two days Mr bigdog. A new highlight on the Scottish circuit!
Glad to hear the geordie's are planning on making the trip once again. :D
Yep, I'm very hopeful I'll be there. Might entice one or two other Geordies to join. Watch this space!

Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

Big Dog wrote:
Garrick wrote:Oh and whilst I am in rant mode, it is a delight to see that the "2 Doubles and no more that 2 of" additional skill set has been retained in spite of a lengthy conversation last year about why it benefits the two strongest races to the detriment of all the rest, discourages diversity and encourages power gaming.
As for the configuration of the skills, I discussed your suggestions with a number of other players last year and most people were happy for it to stay as it is. Having different tournaments with different set ups encourages diversity in itself by keeping events different.
Couldn't agree with you more which is why it is a shame that 50% of Scottish tournaments last year and 50% of Scottish tournaments this year have chosen the "2 Doubles and no more that 2 of" additional skill set. So this skill set not only discourages diversity in race choice but also seriously limits diversity in Scottish tournaments.

For those who don't understand why I feel so strongly about this: Above and beyond the lack of variety, this skill set benefits the two strongest races in Blood Bowl (Wood Elf and Undead) over all the other races. The no more than 2 of a skill particularly benefits Wood Elves as they already have a variety of skills whilst many other teams would benefit from "spamming" skills (Norse, Amazon, Human, Orc, Dark Elf etc.). The 2 Doubles degrades the finally balanced diversity of the different races and particularly benefits Undead, the only tier 1 team with two big guys who already don't have Loner and can now both have Block.

Is it any surprise that the last tournament in Scotland was Wood Elf 1st, 2nd and 3rd with the exact same skill set?

The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.

Big Dog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Big Dog »

Garrick wrote:
Big Dog wrote:
Garrick wrote:Oh and whilst I am in rant mode, it is a delight to see that the "2 Doubles and no more that 2 of" additional skill set has been retained in spite of a lengthy conversation last year about why it benefits the two strongest races to the detriment of all the rest, discourages diversity and encourages power gaming.
Couldn't agree with you more which is why it is a shame that 50% of Scottish tournaments last year and 50% of Scottish tournaments this year have chosen the "2 Doubles and no more that 2 of" additional skill set. So this skill set not only discourages diversity in race choice but also seriously limits diversity in Scottish tournaments.

For those who don't understand why I feel so strongly about this: Above and beyond the lack of variety, this skill set benefits the two strongest races in Blood Bowl (Wood Elf and Undead) over all the other races. The no more than 2 of a skill particularly benefits Wood Elves as they already have a variety of skills whilst many other teams would benefit from "spamming" skills (Norse, Amazon, Human, Orc, Dark Elf etc.). The 2 Doubles degrades the finally balanced diversity of the different races and particularly benefits Undead, the only tier 1 team with two big guys who already don't have Loner and can now both have Block.

Is it any surprise that the last tournament in Scotland was Wood Elf 1st, 2nd and 3rd with the exact same skill set?
That may be the case but in the last two years at Ochilbowl there's been no Wood Elf players in the top 3 and only one Undead. We've had Dwarfs, Undead, Dark Elf in 2015 and Dark Elf, Norse, Dwarfs in 2014.

You're definitely entitled to your views on the pack but it will not be changing this year. If after the tournament there is a lot of feedback that the way skills are selected should change then we will look at it for the future. The change to two days was based off of player feedback so there's nothing to say that the pack itself can't change as well if we get feedback from a number of players that it should.

Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

Big Dog wrote:That may be the case but in the last two years at Ochilbowl there's been no Wood Elf players in the top 3 and only one Undead. We've had Dwarfs, Undead, Dark Elf in 2015 and Dark Elf, Norse, Dwarfs in 2014.

You're definitely entitled to your views on the pack but it will not be changing this year. If after the tournament there is a lot of feedback that the way skills are selected should change then we will look at it for the future. The change to two days was based off of player feedback so there's nothing to say that the pack itself can't change as well if we get feedback from a number of players that it should.
With the deepest respect I challenge both of your points:
  • In 2015 3 out of the top 6 were either Wood Elf or Undead and the top 3 Scots played Dark Elf, Wood Elf, Wood Elf. In 2013 it was won by Wood Elf.

The pack has changed with the added "must have 11 players before hiring Star Players modification" which means I will not be able to take the Dark Elf roster I came third with last year.
Please don't take this as criticism, this will be my 4th Ochil Bowl and I am really looking forward to it. The venue is excellent and I am delighted you have taken the feedback to extend it to 2 days. It is just a robust repetition of the same feedback I gave last year and some disappointment that my wacky roster from last year has been made illegal this year by changing the pack that "will not be changing this year".

Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

Here is an even longer debate on the same subject: http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... 18&start=0

Big Dog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Big Dog »

We sold our first ticket at Carronade, tickets are available now by sending £25 to stirlinggamers@gmail.com via PayPal or in person on a Thursday night at the club.

purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Post by purdindas »

This tournament has now been submitted to the NAF site for approval!

Have you tried my Crispy Pancakes?

Scottish Blood Bowl Captain
AwesomeStu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by AwesomeStu »

I am really looking forward to this :)

Also known as awesome
purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Post by purdindas »

Tournament Approved!

Have you tried my Crispy Pancakes?

Scottish Blood Bowl Captain
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

Paid!

Bring on the doubles... and the Chinese buffet :)

Big Dog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Big Dog »

pipey wrote:Paid!

Bring on the doubles... and the Chinese buffet :)
Payment Received :-D, I'll add you to the entrants list.

Glad to have you back.