The Elflympic Games || 03/12/16, Yate || Wobert wins!

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

landrover
Legend
Legend
Location: Reffing at a tourney near you. Bribery preferences start with sweets....

Re: The Elflympic Games || 3rd December, 2016, Yate

Post by landrover »

sann0638 wrote:I'm guessing he means putting in the diary before Euros have happened.
They use Euros in Europe now?

I have been away a long time.

Reason: ''
Squad Chaos captain.
Thrudball co-organiser.
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

I'm interested, potentially plus one little, too.

Is this a resurrection tournament? Can't spot anything about it in the rules pack.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
nightwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nightwing »

Jip wrote:I'm interested, potentially plus one little, too.

Is this a resurrection tournament? Can't spot anything about it in the rules pack.
With so many Elves there it better be!

Scrumpy Scramble (2017), Foul Bowl 2016, SAWBBowl 2017- International Glowworm Award
Auld World Masters 2017- Most Casualties
Chimera Cup 2017- Most Touchdowns
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Yes, it's a resurrection tourney! I'd be mad to not run it as one.

Boneless
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Boneless »

a good 7-0 win game 1, using a strong arm accurate elf thrower, Long bomb on 3+

thats 42 points.......

I strongly suggest you reconsider the scoring a little. this is right up there with quidditch bowl Bonus point crazy gone mad

UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

hawca wrote:a good 7-0 win game 1, using a strong arm accurate elf thrower, Long bomb on 3+

thats 42 points.......

I strongly suggest you reconsider the scoring a little. this is right up there with quidditch bowl Bonus point crazy gone mad
I think that's the point, the rules pack is set up to promote Passing/Scoring rather than the traditional 2-1 grind. I think comparing it to the Qudditch Bowl lottery is a little unfair. Good coaches will be able to manage a 7-0 but less able coaches will not. Over the course of the 4 games the player who wins while using the most out-there tactics, which are normally mutually exclusive, will win; in line with the ethos of the tournament.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I hope the rules don't change because the team I got planned for this is ridiculous muhahahaha :evil:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Boneless

Post by Boneless »

while i agree, a good coach could win 2-0 each game having played dwarfs dwarfs dwarfs and orcs. total score

82 points.

another coach losses the first 2 games and plays a stunty winning 7-0, and another stunty wining 7-0 and 4-0 and beats the coach who won all 4 with 42 and 32 points respectively.

as long as the pass and score in each of the first 2 games we have a champion with 2-0-2 vs a 4-0-0 winner, due to the opposition race not giving the turn over..

so comparison to Quidditch bowl is justified. by all means encourage elf play but make it the tie breaker not the points. this is scoring gone mad again.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I'm with Loki. This tournament will force a different style of play and a different type of tournament. You know the bias going in - if you don't take Elves, you're either an idiot, or inspired.

I'm going with inspired.

I do get Hawca's concerns, but unlike Quidditch Bowl, this has some really clear rules and there is a definite winning strategy. It's just a different one to the norm.

Boneless

Post by Boneless »

im all for encouraging play, but when a weaker record can win an event is this not an issue? your saying that you wont win unless you have a passing team and get the right draw. if it was a tie breaker then the best record will always win but the elf play will trump.

you know im an elf coach and love this as a concept but it also belittles the NAF trophy when a poor record beats the best record

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Worth making the point that in shorter tournaments, the W/D/L supremacy is much more likely to be maintained, I think? I don't think it's belittling the NAF shield at all, personally, you're unlikely to win the tournament without winning your games.

People were concerned about Bugman's and that was dominated by Woodies, but winning Woodies!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Boneless

Post by Boneless »

If the Prez is happy the W/D/L supremacy will be maintained over 4 games mark me as interested and I will trust his judgement.

Put me down for Dwarfs

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

I think that may be the crux of the matter, which was raised in 'previous discussions'...

Does this type of tournament where W/D/L is not the only factor in production of the tournament pack 'devalue' the NAF trophy?

Obviously we have the (current) NAF president making comment but I am aware that ultimately not everyone even within the NAF staff is going to give the same answer on this and NAF staff will change.

I think NAF needs to be clear on this, ultimately TO's will want to add variation and NAF has to make a call on if and what it will sanction in it's name. Hawca, Sann you are both NAF staff and would appear to be giving slightly differing opinions/view points, as I understand it this tournament has been NAF sanctioned already so there is at least one more NAF voice involved already.

Does NAF need a 'Premium' event trophy: along the lines of NAF saying the standard is x,y,z if you want to award the 'Hard Liners' Trophy and you must adhere to this minimum standard; if you want award the 'Flexible Rules' trophy the minimum requirements are...?

I'm not asking for a response in general, more thinking aloud. If this discussion is going to grow probably best to move from here and open a separate thread for the above question rather than polluting the Tournament thread

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Boneless

Post by Boneless »

As I said. I trust the Prez.

Put me on the list

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Thanks for the vote! Might run a few test events (because I can on my new spreadsheet) and see what happens with various sets of results.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler