Hard6 Superbowl I - and why not NAF?

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Hard6 Superbowl I - and why not NAF?

Post by lunchmoney »

NAF?

Reason: ''
Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Hard6 Superbowl I- 11th Feb 2017, London

Post by besters »

lunchmoney wrote:NAF?
Clashes with ARRBl.?

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Not NAF, ARBBL clash.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Also not allowing all 24.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

True, but it didn't get that far :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

hard6 wrote: We asked about NAF and in this instance the event will not be NAF, the reason for this is that it is our first event and we want it to be friendly and to attract players new and old. If it is NAF then the level of competitiveness increases which may not be fun for new bloodbowl players. We do understand the importance of NAF but we feel the prize support far outweighs any ranking system and the winner walking away with gift vouchers and a trophy is better than some rankings points.
You can give out prizes even if the tournament is NAF sanctioned.
I don't see the contradiction.
hard6 wrote:If you only have certain models and not one of the teams in "death zone season 1" we are allowing "counts as" models this time so you could bring a norse team and run it as humans for example.

Again not allowing the 24 teams is to stop new players that have only purchased the new bloodbowl box and deathzone being overwhelmed with rules and skills they are not familiar with.
Couldn't there be a problem with people being confused by the dwarves that look like halflings or the chaos team being played as skaven?

There is a pdf with all the teams (except Slann) on the blood bowl site, ie official rules from GW, that every one can download and read in advance.
There aren't that many extra skills for those teams that aren't already in death zone

hard6
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hard6 »

Pedda wrote:You can give out prizes even if the tournament is NAF sanctioned.
I don't see the contradiction.
It is not an either or situation, we would do both but like I said for this first event we don't want people to be put off by the competitiveness of rankings. Also we cannot get this first event NAF sanctioned, we have asked already. What I am saying is that to make up for it not being NAF we have tried to increase our prize support.

If you are worried about skill tables, there will be a customized skill table that people can roll on and not just a straight up "whoever rolls STR wins"
Pedda wrote:Couldn't there be a problem with people being confused by the dwarves that look like halflings or the chaos team being played as skaven?
With regard to the other teams, you will have 2 copies of your roster as stated in the pack, one of which will be handed to your opponent, if it says "Dwarfs" then I think it is unlikely that your opponent will think they are "halflings"

Allowing the other teams is not completely out of the question. Perhaps if you would like to send me a direct email to uberjay6@gmail.com then I am open to discuss your concerns especially with regard to the "common mistakes" comment. Like I said it is a friendly event and we are open to discussion, however I will not simply allow someone to bring a complete filth team that is not ballanced as after talking to GW HQ they have suggested that use of the other teams could compromise some new players enjoyment.

I do not want little jimmy who got his human team for xmas turning up and being stomped over every game by multiple undead teams and not enjoying it in the slightest.

HadrielCaine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HadrielCaine »

After chatting to various BB Long term players we have decided to allow the 14 teams from the GW PDF "teams of legend" as you can see revised (in red) in the Comp. Thank you so much for your input so far.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

We may need to do something about the non-NAF perception of rankings. For the vast majority of people the point of the NAF database is a record of the games they have played, with the rankings being a fun sideshow.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

sann0638 wrote:We may need to do something about the non-NAF perception of rankings. For the vast majority of people the point of the NAF database is a record of the games they have played, with the rankings being a fun sideshow.
This is Blood Bowl not Warhammer as Joemanji said already.

It's a shame that people may look at the NAF in a negative way when it's the reason Blood Bowl is still alive, also running in direct competition with an already established local event seems wrong, the NAF has always been about promoting Blood Bowl, please don't try to split the community.
We may edit the comp slightly in order to stop meta gaming.
Needs more detail in the rules pack. People want to see what they are getting themselves in for. Not sure what what can be done about the meta gaming, Its slightly different to warhammer, the teams (army lists) don't change with each GW release they are fixed in stone, successful BB events normally release the rules pack and then the meta comes from there, there are no net lists and its not like you can say, restrict Wood Elves from having multiple units of wardancers for example. Well you could but with so little choice in the teams already it would ruin the game IMO.
With only two skills available from the start and the bonus points for touchdowns that's already given the most powerful team a big boost. Wood Elves could thrive in this environment.

Also probably the first call of advice for running an event would be the NAF or at least any of the experienced coaches who have already replied in this thread. GW produced the game yes but how many have been to an event and know how they really work. I'm sure they always happy to talk about their game though.

It's sad, this thread looks to be turning negative when really people just want to help, hopefully the organisers can see that.

As for keeping little Jimmy and his humans safe from the BB sharks that's always going to be hard. Awesome prize support sounds good though.

Its real cool to see awards for painting, this is one aspect that is lacking at so many events I've attended and in my limited experience never been to one that supports bringing custom made stadiums.

Overall I'm sure it will be a great day and fun for anyone attending, I've only ever been to NAF sanctioned events up to now and they have all been great fun too, after all, this is Blood Bowl. Good Luck...

Foul Bowl :puke:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

I don't think the thread is negative. On TFF a lot of NAF events are done in a particular way because they are run by people who have been around the BB scene for a while. Not everyone is aware of the NAF or the tournament calendar and so sometimes clashes are going to happen like this one. Ideally both events will fill up but time will tell. The new rule set was always going to attract new people to the game and new tournaments to appear, if there are initial teething problems then so be it. Lets face it, lots of people keen to be involved and organise things is a pretty nice problem to have - it could be a lot worse!

Thumbs up to the new guys - good luck.

Oh I also meant to say, it may help if you posted your start and end times as well. I may consider getting over for this but would need to know what time I'd have to be there.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Wobert wrote:I don't think the thread is negative....
Oh yes it is :lol:

Also you can't express interest in this event else Darkson will ban you from the site :orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

hard6 wrote:
Pedda wrote:Couldn't there be a problem with people being confused by the dwarves that look like halflings or the chaos team being played as skaven?
With regard to the other teams, you will have 2 copies of your roster as stated in the pack, one of which will be handed to your opponent, if it says "Dwarfs" then I think it is unlikely that your opponent will think they are "halflings"

Allowing the other teams is not completely out of the question. Perhaps if you would like to send me a direct email to uberjay6@gmail.com then I am open to discuss your concerns especially with regard to the "common mistakes" comment. Like I said it is a friendly event and we are open to discussion, however I will not simply allow someone to bring a complete filth team that is not ballanced as after talking to GW HQ they have suggested that use of the other teams could compromise some new players enjoyment.

I do not want little jimmy who got his human team for xmas turning up and being stomped over every game by multiple undead teams and not enjoying it in the slightest.
I'm sure that some people would be confused by the 3ed halflings being dwarves, but I'm glad that you included the other teams as well.
I also think little Jimmy will be happier as well. Playing five games against just dwarves and wood elves isn't that much fun. Sprinkel in some goblins, halflings or chaos and little Jimmy will at least have faced different teams. The extra skills shouldn't be the problem, I hope.

I didn't want to come accross as negative and I think it's great that you're organising a tournament. I would however have liked to see it being NAF approved and I think it's a shame that you view it as that giving the tournament a vile and competitve atmosphere. I've been to several NAF tournaments and the atmosphere has always been friendly and fun. Sure, it is competetive on the top tables, but still friendly. As you get down that tables it starts to get more "just for fun", but I don't think that's due to the NAF approval. I think the top table in your tournament will be competetive as well.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Pedda wrote:I would however have liked to see it being NAF approved
As Sann said, even if they'd allowed all 24 teams from the get go, it wouldn't have got approved due to the date clash and close to the ARBBL Open.

I hope it goes well, but not with coaches that would have otherwise come to the ARBBL. ;)

frogboy wrote:Also you can't express interest in this event else Darkson will ban you from the site :orc:
As if I'd do such a thing.

Anyone heard from Wobert?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

As an ARBBL ist l think it is important that the recognition or otherwise of this is based on the redline of Slann not on some percieved clash with anoter venue 80 miles away.
ARBBL is for those who want 2 days of BB and this is for those who want 1.

We should be supporting this guy not slapping him down for daring to choose the same day as you. I am pretty sure there is space for both.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.