Cakebowl 7 3/4 June 2017 HAWCA WINS

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Re: Cakebowl 7 3/4 June 2017 HAWCA WINS

Post by nazgob »

They are Boring and over designed. They are like the crack cocaine of bloodbowl. You think you are a god, but you learn nothing and everybody thinks you are an flower of an undescript sort. Dull Dull DULL. I hate playing against them not because I cannot win (My win record is no worse than against everybody else) I hate playing them because win, lose or draw I am going to be BORED.
I completely understand where this is coming from. Dwarves can be frustrating to play against, and the games can lack some of the traditional craziness.

Speaking as an Elf coach, I would relish games against Dwarves. They are challenging, as they have a lot fo the tools they need, but with a good kick (Kick wins games) and cunning play, they give a very different style of game. It's not about craziness, but careful positioning and cautious moves.

Speaking as a spam guard Dwarf coach, at no point did i think i was a god. I found myself 2-1 down against Halflings in the second half against Dementor and threw away a good chance at a win and two draws through my own errors (gaining a draw and two losses). From each of these, I've taken important lessons on timing the push to the end zone (Ceetee...), risk management (partly down to my lack of rerolls), and lots and lots of positioning. From the best way to handle strength four pieces without guard, to the importance of standing off and blocking a route (damn you, Maverick!).

Dwarves look like a really easy team. They have armour. They have block. They have the essential skills.

They are also the most unforgiving tier one team I have used (i understand Khemri are worse). A single mistake may not cost you the game, but it will almost certainly cost you the win. You simply can't chase a game with Dwarves; they are unforgiving.

They're a different kind of fun.

Reason: ''
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I agree with nazgob on this ^

Why change the rules anyway? There was 36 coaches this year...

Is it because of all the bash teams. You want to have different teams??

Why not change the prizes around but keep the rule set.
1st place, best agility team, best bash team, stunty cup etc. Have a prize for them instead.

If you want to have some skill stacking and lots of skills then you know where to be on the 24th June, that's right sports fans, F... *mmmmm mmmmm mmm*
????

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Wotfudboy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wotfudboy »

Just have completed a blog from the day; http://wotfudboy.blogspot.com/2017/06/c ... -2017.html

Personally I really enjoyed the weekend overall - great venue, well organised and clear rulespack etc, but importantly a good bunch of folks.

I know Heff's views on Dwarves... so it's fun winding him up. My Dwarf build though was a more fun build as I wanted to use my painted Deathroller... no serious dwarf coach would field one to win a tournament though I'm sure!

6 game tournaments are tough to please everyone... there are the purists who want to play the game as god (or GW) intended, there are those that go to every tournament in the country and get bored with the same rulespacks everywhere, and there are those of us that don't attend enough to justify comment. All I would say is, the leagues in FUMBBL that work the best are the ones with strong racial diversity, but that's not the same ball-park as resurrection tournaments. There are races that always seem to cancel out others... Dwarves vs stunty, Necro vs Dwarf, Elf vs Necro etc. I've never gone to a tournament expecting to win any prize, but instead to experience table top against challenging coaches... and I learn a lot about my game.

I would suggest the organiser is never going to please everyone, so in the end, stick to what they feel is a balance of fun/competitive and then coaches can vote with their feet. The fact that this was the most heavily attended CakeBowl event probably answers the question posed... but I will leave it to your rule experts as to what needs very slight alteration... Hell, why not stack skills... puts all the eggs in one basket... and then a thrown rock or saw takes them out and that's a lot of points off the board!

Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Grats to Hawca for the great win. 6/0/0 is a mean feat to achieve!

Thanks also to all my opponents. I had 6 fantastic opponents, and it was nice to play against some new people that I had not faced before. It's also always nice to play against 6 different races as I avoided the Orcs! I really like the Cakebowl venue; having the food served fast after the last game really stretches the evening out and lets us play some fun games well into the evening. Masquerade was great with 8+ of us, and I am still laughing at "I am the witch". Haha - sorry Gorgoroth :)

As for the ruleset I think some tweaks are always good to look at, but I wouldn't stray too far. My suggestion would be to look at allowing +stat again, as having an Ag4 skink feels broken. I'd also advise caution on allowing too much stacking as I think it just leads to the game being about a couple of superstar players, which I think detracts from the game. Is guard spam a problem? I guess my question to players that did it is to ask why did they select it? Has it ever performed well? Taking 4 or 5 seems powerful, but after that it feels inefficient. I'd much rather face 6 guard than 4 guard and a couple block or mighty blow. Heff would you find it more fun to play against a 4 guard Dwarf team?

Hudson
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Hudson »

[/quote] would Heff would you find it more fun to play against a 4 guard Dwarf team?[/quote]

Heff wouldn't find anytime against dwarfs fun.

Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 09 with 24
Most Casualties @ PK&Q 09 with 21
Most Casualties @ GT 09 with 28
Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 11 with 28
Most Casualties @ ARRBL 13 with 30
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

I didn't make it to Cake this year :( but I wouldn't want to see the set up change too much. Cake is fun as no other tourney (in the SWTC area at least) allows so many skills! This, along with 115tv, allows for many different team set ups. Yes, there will always be guard spammers but they don't win the tourney so they can't be too powerful, can they?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

lunchmoney wrote:I didn't make it to Cake this year :( but I wouldn't want to see the set up change too much. Cake is fun as no other tourney (in the SWTC area at least) allows so many skills! This, along with 115tv, allows for many different team set ups. Yes, there will always be guard spammers but they don't win the tourney so they can't be too powerful, can they?
Its not the only one, there is Foul Bowl too

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Foul Bowl allows for potentially 12 skilled players​? Coolio.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

And you can stack skills (i stole this idea from Hobnail) and remove a negtraite (i stole this idea too) and much other shenanigans, its amazing! Seriously guys dont even think about it, just sign up >>>>>HERE<<<<< :orc: :orc: :orc:

Just think of it this way, test your next Cake Roster at the comfort of a 1 dayer, its basically all the best parts of every good tournement out there, shamelessly stolen eaten regurgitated and forced into 4 fun packed games.

yogi
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by yogi »

great weekend thanks for doing a great job again.

I would like the option for 1 player to have stack just because on teams with 11 players you might not want to choose a double but you might want to put regular skills on the 11 players in which case you loose out on a skill point, which i dont like teams with cheap players can get use of the full 12 but on expensive teams that can only afford the 11 players are at a disadvantage. other then that I love it as is.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Booked for next year - 2nd/3rd June. Will get the thread up shortly.

Current plan is to allow stacking on second day, with stacking costing an extra skill point. No spam limitation still.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Is there a stacking limit? Can I clawpomb a wolf?

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Too late asking here, this one is over.

Might want to redirect your question to the 2018 thread if you are asking about that.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

No, discussion here is good, I'll post a full rules pack on the other one in due time (next week), which will make questions there look a bit strange. I think you could clawpomb a wolf, yes. Fun times.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

lunchmoney wrote:Too late asking here, this one is over.

Might want to redirect your question to the 2018 thread if you are asking about that.
You really want to shut down every conversation you're involved in don't you?