BUBBA Bowl 8, Bristol, 6th Nov 21 - Results Pg7

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Re: BUBBA Bowl 8, Bristol, 6th Nov 21 - Results Pg7

Post by 20phoenix »

I saw or heard nothing anecdotally that fundamentally changed my view on Freebooters for tournament play. They fill a similar role to the most popular stars in the new version, either by opening up a role that the team didn't already have (Hakflem Chorfs for example) or performing better in a role than something the team has (Deeproot Flings etc). The problem with Freebooters is that they both widen the roles that they can fill in the first instance and are more cost efficient in the second instance.

Would they work with limtations? I don't know is the honest answer. Wobert has restricted mercs at my next tournament in January. It curbs some of the excesses but i'm not convinced it's enough.

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Loki wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:38 pm
sann0638 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:34 pm Ha, top 13 with toys!
How were the Wood Elfs... Bad team or Bad day?
Bad day and good opponents, but my results meant I didn't play against any freebooters except tony the stunty merc (who was pretty good, in fairness!)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

My thoughts so far...

First thing that seemed to come out of this was that Most TD's was taken with 6... no ones was getting 'blow out' 4/5 - 0 wins: small sample set but I think it's 'real' i.e. nerf on passing with any AG4 is pushing dynamic to bash at least for the moment.

If you are including Stars then 'for balances' sake you don't have to exclude Freebooters i.e. if you want to make things 'more complicated' but 'more colorful' add stars and freebooters.

Another take home point would seem to be that teams ARE getting a boost from stars and freebooters; so where they are allowed those playing to be competitive are going to be forced to take them.

It may need more play testing but I think its fairly safe to say not all stars are equal so in competitive settings allowing only stars there will be a loss of diversity in builds.

Just letting the thought roll... If your aim is to promote different team/builds you can go two ways ban stars or add Freebooters.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Results uploaded to NAF site

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Barnacles
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Barnacles »

I thought it worked really well and the 'lose a skill choice if you take a star' brought a nice balance.

Easier access to stars brings a great new dimension to the game so I'm all for the new rule set.

If both teams bring the same star then noone can field him for the game is great too.

With freebooters being so advantageous and knowing you're not going to be unable to play him as your opponent won't be running with the same guy could possibly be balanced by 'take a freebooter but lose 2 skill choices', instead of the 1 skill choice you lose if you bring a star.

Overall brilliant tourney, great venue and the ruleset worked pretty fine.

The Omega
WHERE WA GOIN' NOW!