Brucebowl - The Draft - 22nd April 2023 - Portsmouth

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

lgmdaniel
Experienced
Experienced

Brucebowl - The Draft - 22nd April 2023 - Portsmouth

Post by lgmdaniel »

After the success of the first unofficial 'Brucebowl - The Draft' last year, we now have NAF approval.

The info is all contained in the rules pack which you can download or view via the link below.
Saturday 22nd April 2023.
3 games of 2020 rules Blood Bowl.
Swiss style, resurrection format tournament, with a twist. After the first game, those in worst position get to pick a star. Working up through the table until everyone has chosen someone to join their team. This could mean that you can end up with more than 2 of the same star on a team (imposter!). Though Stars like Griff, Bomber and Morg are not included. Your more likely to see some of the obscure ones, depending on those available for the day and number.
Tickets are £20
Venue is: St Andrews Hall, Havant Road, Farlington, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 1AA.
0900 - registration.
0930 to 1145 - Game 1.
1145 to 1200 – 1st Draft
1200 to 1245- Lunch
1245 to 1500 - Game 2
1500 to 1515 – 2nd Draft
1515 to 1730 - Game 3
1745 - Prizes.

1.1M roster budget with tiered skill budgets
BUFFET LUNCH INCLUDED IN TICKET PRICE!
RULE PACK:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Aq7KoEgyqdBwhMJuytT ... g?e=3V06NJ

1. Dwtb1984 PAID
2. Ben1812 PAID
3. Adam Leaf PAID
4. Chris Palmer PAID
5. Juck Vaughan PAID
6. Steven Ward PAID
7. Joe Solo PAID
8. Thomas Barker PAID
9. Joe Newton PAID
10. Tony Field PAID
11. Michael Vernon PAID
12. AJ PAID
13. David PAID

Won by Michael Vernon - Vernanski - using Orcs.

Reason: ''
CrystalMCDoll
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Brucebowl - The Draft - 22nd April 2023 - Portsmouth

Post by CrystalMCDoll »

I'm going to be honest here. Being penalised for not wanting to remove clothing is a bit awkward, and I don't really feel like I should be expected to play against shirtless people. (Likely drunk shirtless people towards the end of the day)

We all talk about making Bloodbowl more inclusive, as a women, I can tell you, this isn't how to do it. If anything this shines a negative light on how uninformed men can be.

Not for me.

Danny
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Danny »

Claiming this is inclusive whilst asking people to take their tops off for a free reroll 🤦‍♂️

Shame on whoever sanctioned this and condoned this misogyny. If you guys want to do this in the privacy of your shed go ahead, but as a wider NAF event, this has no place in the community. Completely inappropriate.

lgmdaniel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by lgmdaniel »

I was trying to word it so that your can remove your 'shirt' but also keep anything else on underneath. For example a vest, long sleeved shirt, or just another T-shirt.
I'm trying to make it a fun experience for all, I know some can be more comfortable in their bodies than others. As a younger man I wasn't.
Having been to events like Thrud before, I have played shirtless in the warm weather and taken part in the games. While also enjoying some drink with friends.
If a drunk person was being difficult at this event I would expect the same response to their behaviour to be the same as any other. I certainly wouldn't accept it.

Danny
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Danny »

lgmdaniel wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:27 am I was trying to word it so that your can remove your 'shirt' but also keep anything else on underneath. For example a vest, long sleeved shirt, or just another T-shirt.
We all know what Bruce Bowl is. It’s topless drunk guys. Bullshit on pretending it’s anything else. We have enough going on anyway that isn’t making women feel welcome without tournaments and rulesets like this.

CrystalMCDoll
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CrystalMCDoll »

I am comfortable in my own skin, I just don't want to show it off in a room full of men at a blood bowl event, nor do I want to see anyone else's!

And for the record, Thrud no longer allows no tops on.

gr4n0t4
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gr4n0t4 »

lgmdaniel wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:27 am I was trying to word it so that your can remove your 'shirt' but also keep anything else on underneath. For example a vest, long sleeved shirt, or just another T-shirt.
I'm trying to make it a fun experience for all, I know some can be more comfortable in their bodies than others. As a younger man I wasn't.
Having been to events like Thrud before, I have played shirtless in the warm weather and taken part in the games. While also enjoying some drink with friends.
If a drunk person was being difficult at this event I would expect the same response to their behaviour to be the same as any other. I certainly wouldn't accept it.
So, just packing an extra t-shirt works?

DizzyBess
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DizzyBess »

Personally this is a big no for me and my partner (Dayday). Requiring any removal of clothing is invasive and uncomfortable. I don't find this to be very inclusive at all despite the changes made.

FreezingStar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FreezingStar »

Nothing much more to add that Crystal and Leap haven't already, but seeing this be NAF sanctioned is bitterly disappointing and sends a really questionable message.

If you're asking for donations to charity for an extra RR, great, asking people to remove clothing for a RR, not so much. Go ahead and do it with a group of like-minded friends without NAF sanctioning, but this does nothing for inclusivity and is actively putting women and girls off of being part of the community.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

the NAF listed event has a different thing
Screenshot 2023-02-26 120739.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
dayday
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dayday »

Yeah I'm also sad to see this be naf sanctioned. Anything that involves removing any clothing I don't feel is inclusive.

Duffins
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Duffins »

I want to second the complaints raised by Leap, CrystalMCDoll and DizzyBess about the topless advantage and it being in a NAF sanctioned event. These sorts of mechanics and attitudes only hinder our hobby's wider appeal and is much more likely to deter than encourage involvement.

This may still end up going ahead and being NAF sanctioned. Whatever, that's not my decision. But I at least want to express my opinion and solidarity with my fellow blood bowlers above.

gr4n0t4
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gr4n0t4 »

I would like to go but this clash with the one dayer at High Wycombe and it is much closer to me. All the best though!

BigBlocker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigBlocker »

As a NAF member I expect affiliated events to be safe places for women and children. An event encouraging the removal of clothing certainly is not appropriate. I am very disappointed this event is listed as a NAF event. Blood Bowl is for everyone and nobody should feel unwelcome, yet that's exactly what this does.

Danny
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Danny »

It’s been set back to Pending on the NAF site tournament listings. I hope it stays that way.