Rendez-Vous Match Reports

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Rendez-Vous Match Reports

Post by Redfang »

Well, OK, here we go (briefly)

I played my Karak-Grizdal Grizzlies (Dwarfs) with 2 Trollslayers, 2 Blitzers, 2 Runners and 5 Longbeards. Plus Apothecary, 4RR and 4 FF.

1st Match against Skaven with 3 GR, 1 Thrower, 2 SV no Ratogre and some linemen. He rapidly scored 0-1 in only 2 turns (after I kicked to him) but then I had (and used) 6 turns to roll my cage to the 1-1. In the second half I again used all my time to score in T8; 2-1 victory. I don't remember to much further about this game. It was early. I do remember that by the end of the game all his GR and 1 or 2 more players were in the Dead and Injured box and that there were also some KO (I seem to remember injuring at least 1 SV and probably KO'ing the other)

2nd Match against Trambi's DE. I kicked the ball to him, he would have scored 0-1 in T2, but his WE failed her dodge, and I broke away with the ball. I think... It was a strange match in which a lot depended on luck/bad luck from both sides. At the start of the 2nd half I remember getting into a lot of trouble after my runner failed to pick up a ball (rolled 2 and 2) very close to the midline...
Anyway most important moment in the match was when (with score 1-1) Trambi throwed a pass to a witch elf halfway through the 2nd half that would have scored, easily, had not my runner standing in front of her (in her tacklezone) made the interception. I then Blitzed the WE and had several turns to make 2-1 (in T8) against his by then weakened team.

3rd Match, against a dwarf team that was identical to mine except that I had given both runners Block and he had given both blitzers Guard. Guard was annoying and he got close to scoring 1-0 (after I kicked), but a 1-on-1 blitz by my runner, rolling a pushback, re-rolling a Pow/Skull result, killed (!!!) his ball carrying non-block runner, and allowed me to run away with the ball. He only barely prevented the 1-0 in that half. The second half he kicked to me and I took (and needed) the almost a full half to score 1-0, not allowing him enough time to score back.

4th Match against Zy-Nox' Wood Elves. He kicked to me and simply swamped my cage with WE. They did go down but at first I only rolled 7 for AV, and when I started rolling higher I only stunned his elves. Exception; with a Blitz I injured his all-important accurate thrower :-).
In the second half I couldn't prevent a 1-0 in 2 turns. A 3-turn riot then greatly decreased my chance at getting the draw. In the end a freakish series of dice rolling could have meant a 1-1 (after my last-try blitzer was pushed back by a Strip Ball Wardancer), but after succeeding a 5+ dodge with my runner I failed the 5+ pick up (I would have needed after that a 4+ hand-off, a 3+ dodge and a GFI, with a RR). 1-0 Loss...

5th Match against L_Dauguets Orcs. First time I faced an Ogre (Ogre, 4 BO, 4 BL, 2 Gob, 1 Thrower) In the 1st half the ogre kept a slayer and some LB busy without causing any damage (it had PO!). He kicked the ball to me and followed it up with a gobbo and a blitzer; causing some danger at first, but I came through and scored 1-0 in T8. A inaccurately thrown gobbo could have made the 1turner, but landed exactly between my 2 runners, needing a 6 to land and rolling a 5.
Second half, his team was somewhat less nummerous (missed a KO BO, a Gobbo and a Blitzer if I remember correctly, which I probably don't). His ogre was constantly kept busy by my Trollslayer (who kept blocking him, and getting him down on pow/skull result :lol: ). His cage stranded in my field, it got to a scrum. in the end one of my runners ran out with the ball and scored in T8 (I could have scored in T7, but I didn't want a 1-turner against me; I was still in a good position for the tournament and score-ratio could matter. Also i didn't want to set-up again and knew the match would be over sooner this way; beer was taking its toll)

6th and last match again against WE. Again I couldn't prevent a 2-turn score against me. I did follow it up with a T8 1-1, after my opponent and his agile and fast WE made me sweat quite a bit. The second half I received and while harassed by WE I rolled my cage to a T8 score (again after stalling one turn near the end-line; I don't mind doing that... not at serious tournaments). His team was reduced to 4 WE by then, but didn't have any cas against (most were KO) The last turn of the second half we both had 7 players to set up. then a PI KO'ed 2 and stunned 3 of mine, meaning I ended the match with only 5 players on the field. My opponent (who was really into "role-playing BB" which is very cool, I think) still send his catcher with ball into my backfield towards the endzone he could never make in time. The Match ended when the catcher failed the first GFI and DIED :-)

I had great matches against great opponents and a great time. I hope my opponents think the same about me. All my matches were very exciting; never being decided until near the end of half 2 (sometimes not before T8!). Most exciting match I've played in years was that against the other Dwarfs. (All matches on day one were very exciting).

Since there was no more time to play the Final match after round 6, the match played on table 1 in round 6 was called final, with the looser getting second position. This meant that 3rd position was the best I could get, but I did get it :)

It would have been nice to have played in the final, though. Better luck next year, I hope...

Reason: ''
Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Ok here are mine. Please correct me if anything is wrong, i write this completly from my blurred memories!

My team was Chaos dwarfs:
1 Troll
4 Hobgoblins (Dirty Player after Game 2).
2 Bull Centaurs (Surehands after Game 3, Block after Game 4)
6 Chaos Dwarfs (Guard after Game 5)
3 RRs, 1FF

I chose this roster over the 11 Player variant with 4 RRs or an apothecary because i believe in roster depth and some strategic fouling (swapping 40k players vs. more expensive ones).

Game 1: vs. Death Squad (Arkhandzar), Undead

I won the toss and received the ball. One of his mummies left the pitch early KOed, the other one got tied up by a Chaos Dwarf on the right side of the pitch, while the larger part of my team slowly forced the way down the pitch via the left side scoring in turn 7 with a Hobgoblin.

Arkhandzar desperatly searching for a move to stop this offence

This game was dominated by Skull and Pow/Skull block results. Having 6 block players helped a lot and gave the main advantage, as his Ghouls never were able to spread out and use their speed advantage. Skeletons and Zombies never managed to hold the line, falling down all the time, on their blocks and mine. A lot of quick turnovers (tons of ones) in the second half kept both of us from scoring.

The game ended 1-0 (1-1 Cas) for me. I ended up around table 10 for the next game. Good and solid start with not too much action in the game.

I picked PileOn for my Troll to be able to deal out more Casulties esp. against one of the plentyful Orc teams.

Typical dice for this game :)

Game 2: vs. Waaagh Wild West (Joker), Orc

Ouch, 4 Bobs, 4 Blitzers and an Ogre touched up with a thrower and two Gobbos! Not a single lineorc ... good test for my Troll.

Again i received and after some turns i managed to clear the left side of the pitch by injuring one player and pushing a Bob out of bounds. My Troll tied up plenty of players (did not manage to injure one though), while i managed to build a nicely safe position that allowed me to score around turn 5 with a bull centaur. Right before that i got a chance to stick a boot into one of the gobbos, injuring him and by this reducing the chance of a TTM action.

Another left wing attack

I managed to defend my endzone for the rest of the half, with the help of some good dice rolls on the blocking. Kicking i went into half two and he tried to force players down to my right side. However, all players were very concentrated and weren't able to break out after i gained the advantage in numbers and sent the second Gobbo into the KO box.

Take a picture whil there are still players on the pitch :D

When the pressure got too high in turn 6, he threw the ball to an empty square close to my endzone. With 3 turns left, the time of the Bull Centaur had come. He went to the ball, picked it and charged down into the endzone, running his 26 squares in 3 turns, for the 2-0 win.

The path is cleared, but veeery long! My Bull Centaur with the ball just a few squares from my endzone in turn 6.

Another very good game with solid blocking and good ball handling. Casulties was 2-1 for me i think. Next skill was dirty player on a Hobgoblin. His task was to take care of 1 or 2 expensive opponents per match, but he got more effective in the rest ofthe tornament than i ever could dream of.

Game 3: vs. Beautty Ladies (Tarra), Wood Elfs

Wow, i worked my way up to table 3 for a match against the 2003 Blood Bowl Champ. I have a very bad record against wood elfs, so i needed some luck to get through this game.

I lost the toss and kicked the ball. On the kickoff, my lonely fan "got the Ref" against Tarra's lonely fan, so got a full half of free fouling *harhar*
Btw. i played this 3-5-3 defence for almost the whole tournament and it worked very well.

My typical 3-5-3 defensive setup

Tarra blitzed a hole into my right side (i noticed that somehow most players -including me- had a strange tendency to the left side). One short pass and a few blocks later, a Wood Elf was standing in my endzone ... unstoppable as usual. I only managed to KO two of his players who returned both.

Now i was going for the offence and started to injure his players, mostly with fouls i have to admit. My dirty player went from elf to elf, esp. hunting for the wardancers, of which i could injure one for the first time, but he used the apothecary on him. Unfortunatly, ball handling didn't go very well and Tarra found a whole in my defence, leaped through and snatched the ball away from me scoring a second time in turn 4.

Tarra playes so fast, you can't make a good photo of him :)

Another time all 3 KOs came back for the kickoffs, but he had only 8 players left. In the third drive, my ball handling was better and the casulties kept poring in, injuring the wardancer for the second time and injuring both catchers. I managed to score in turn 8 with my Bull Centaur.

Tarra had 6 players left for the the second drive, 4 of them lineelfs. With the referee back in duty, the fouling stopped, but i managed to score some KOs and finally a real casulty as well as a quick score in turn 3.

The leftovers of a once proud Wood Elf team at the beginning of half 2

4 Elfs set up for the next drive, and Tarra found no way to defend the ball against a full Chaos Dwarf defence. He managed to injure a Hobgoblin, but finally i got the ball and ran for a touchdown for a third and final time.

A 3-2 win with coming back from 0-2 against Wood Elfs is something that only works through a high number of casulties. The official cas count was 1-1, the real one was 8-1 (6 foul casulties, 1 failed dodge). Very tough game for me, without getting the ref i would have lost big time after having to concede the second touchdown.

Next skill was Sure Hands on one of the Bull Centaurs, as there were plenty of Wood Elf teams with strip ball around the top tables. I chose the Bull centaur over a Hobgoblin because the hobgobs have a higher tendency to go down vs. a lonely Wardancer.

After day 1 i was one of 3 unbeaten players, in second place with 15 points, only a few touchdowns behind Del's (Longfang's) Humans, but one touchdown ahead of Redfang's Dwarfs.

Game 4: vs. Longfangs Dambusters (Longfang), Humans

Finally on table one, had to go against Longfang's unbeaten humies. He went for a RR heavy lineup without an Ogre and didn't look too happy when i was facing my lineup. I also had the advantage of some more hours of sleep and quite less alcohol on the last evening :) And then there's Nuffle of course ...

At this point everything was open ...

Longfang never had any chance in this game. He received and nothing worked at all. Ball handling was bad (tons of 1s) and almost every armor roll of me was at least a ten. My Troll cleared out 3 Blitzers (one apothed) in the first 4 turn and finally i had the ball on a Bull Centaur who went for the 1-0 in turn 6. I didn't even see any use in stalling the game as already half of the humans were either injured or KOed at this time.

Two handed player movement ... wow, that's an experienced Blood Bowl player!

I could keep him from scoring easily as his dice didn't allow him any better actions. He failed a pass to a touchdown possibility and i scored more casulties (all blitzers gone for half 2). Half two went very quick with almost no changes to my incredible luck, i scored two more (Bull Centaur and Hobgoblin) and scored more Cas and KOs, so finally the Cas count was 8-1 i think (4 alone for my PileOn Troll). Not a challenging game, not too much fun for me, absolutly none for Del. Redfang didn't manage to win as well, so i was the only unbeaten player at this point.

Block on the other Bull Centaur seemed to be a good idea (not really sure about this).

Game 5: vs. The Tribe Of Zy-Nox (Zy-Nox), Wood Elfs

Playing Zy-Nox was my biggest wish for this tournament as i had a great game against him at the Blood Bowl, which i lost big time (even the cas count and that hurts). Now i got the chance of a revenge.

Left side offence again ...

Once again i lost the coin toss and saw the elfs receive. Zynox went for a heavy left side setup. He blitzed a Dwarf to the sideline and built up a bulk of 8 Elfs just within my players. I've never seen a offence like this before, but it worked for him, as my players were too slow to build a defence in front of the bulk. He managed to open the path, for him and cleared out the players that interfered with his bulk. A pass, a run, another easy 2 turn touchdown ... damn those Elfs!

More agility than a Chaos Dwarf can stand.

Now i had to strike back and my fans really helped my by getting the ref again. This time i also managed to secure the ball and went out to clear the pitch of wood elfs. My Troll helped alot, my dirty player did his job quite well, too. So when i went for the 1-1, there were 4 elfs left on the pitch and the strip ball wardancer was dead for a second time :)

In half two, all KOs returned (the only rolls my opponents were REALLY lucky this weekend), so he could set up 6 against a full team of mine.
It looked easy, but a sudden turn of luck made this half one of best and most intense Blood Bowl experiences. I failed the 5 pickup attempts in a row (4 of them with my Sure Hands Bull). I managed to injure two more elfs, but i just could not secure the ball. His catcher was running circles around my players running, dodging into 3 TZ, picking the ball, falling down again ... it was crazy, both of us were only one dice away from a certain touchdown once or twice, and both we failed (with a RR). In turn 7 i finally had him down to 2 players and secured the ball. But i needed to do a long pass from a Bull Centaur to a Bull Centaur in turn 8 and fumbled the ball.

What a game! Final result 1-1, again with something like 5 to 0 official casulties (9-1 with fouls and self inflicted). I knew the tie was good enough to lift my to the final! Guard on a Chaos Dwarf was my last skill pick, as i was pretty sure to play a bashy team in the final.

Final: vs. Heidhusir Sticky Bits (Grep-V), Chaos Dwarf.

Arg! Another Chaos Dwarf team in the final with an almost identical roster. He had 2 Hobgoblins less, but an Apothecary and 4FF. HE also had a pile on Troll and 3 guarding Chaos Dwarfs, but no dirty player. This was really looking like a bashy game.

With an evil look, Grep-V scared my luck away ...

I won the toss and chose to receive, but the game started with bang. His crowd threw a rock at my dirty player, sending him off the pitch KOed.
I had some good first blocks, but my Troll wasted my blitz action (failed 2+) after i set up for a blitz to take his Troll out. Again, my Bull Centaur failed a pickup. He started bashing my players and my only guard went into the injury box. both Bull Centaurs charged in to put pressure on my back field. I tried to secure my position, but this time a hobgoblin failed the pickup early in the turn. Another full round of bashing and piling for him and another Chaos Dwarf and a Hobgoblin dropped out KO. He went for the ball, but didn't get it as well. In turn 3, my Bull Centaur was 1 square ahead of his two, finally picked the ball and went away 9 squares, so he could not blitz him. However, in the next turn i did not manage to get away and dropped the ball into the crowd. It was thrown back in and bounced to a square next to his endzone. In the mean time, my last Troll and my Chaos Dwarfs withstood a lot of bashing, but beeing outnumbered and outguarded could not help me at all. I managed to injure one of his Hobgoblins on an 1 dice skull/pow block, but while my Hobgoblin was stunned, his apothecary healed the injury, keeping him in the game in an important position. In turn 7 he went for a desperate long pass from bull centaur to bull centaur and managed to make it inaccurate (5+), bringing the ball out of the range of my players. In the last turn, he made the pickup and sprinted into my endzone for the 0-1.

The pregame huddle did not help very much.

Of course my KOs did not return, so i was outnumbered by one at the beginning of half 2, and still without my dirty player. I had to kick now and for the second time, the crowd interfered with my plans. A pitch invasion ran over my players and stunned a Chaos Dwarf and KOed a hobgoblin. Then his players flooded over me and i didn't really stand a chance to defend. My last hobgoblin (KO) and another Chaos dwarf (injured) went out, while my Troll managed to kill one of his Bull Centaurs, while the other one went out on a 1 dice block against mine (Block skill paid off). However, this was not enough to stop him, and he scored the 0-2 with 4 turns left for me.

2 turn scoring is possible but very difficult with Chaos dwarfs. esp. if you lack players. 2 of my Hobgoblins (including the DP) returned so i set up for a fast offense with both Bulls on one side. A perfect defence ruined my plans as suddenly a Troll and several guards were right in front of them. I failed some rolls to free up the Bulls and had to concede the game in turn 6 as there was no way to score. I went for the easy 4 turn score, but he even managed to hold up this, although my Hobgoblin was just a 3+ dodge away from it.

Not the nicest way to lose a final, but after all i had plenty of luck to be there anyway! Congrats to grep-v (Alessandro)!

Wow ... i have too much time. I could have painted two minis instead of writing this :)

TiMuN
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by TiMuN »

Cool report, Tim .. keep 'em coming guys!

Now i can stole his formation and use it in BarnaBowl ... muahahah :lol:

[b]TiMuN[/b]
[size=75][img]http://www.bloodbowl.net/NAF/ArticleImages/naf.gif[/img] Member #181
[url=http://www.bloodbowlforo.org]BloodBowlForo.org[/url] | [url=http://spanishteam.tbbl.org]Spanish Team[/url][/size]
joker
Star Player
Star Player

Post by joker »

nice report :) thx for that's funny game
Tim wrote:Take a picture whil there are still players on the pitch :D
ho ! and stop fouling my orks :P

may da WAAAGH ! be with me
kaboom
Super Star
Super Star

Post by kaboom »

good report, good pics!!!
it's allright!

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

I hope I had been there... I think my lizards can stop and beat any Chaos Dwarf :P

If you love something, let it go. If it doesn’t come back to you, hunt it down and kill it.
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

My Wood elves were sad not to play...
But they did pretty well in Friendly games.
Zy-nox (wood elves) stopped a game when i was winning 3/1 at Halftime and have to receive the ball...
Made a 3/3 against Sputnick (Lezard)
And won 3/1 Kerrunch if i remenber well.

In tourny, my WE won against Zodiac's halflings 3/1.

So, a good pratice for my woodies...

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
grep-v
Veteran
Veteran

Post by grep-v »

Ancalagon wrote:I hope I had been there... I think my lizards can stop and beat any Chaos Dwarf :P
That's possible. Your skinks too ?
Don't think so, but at least they would be tasty snacks ... 8)

Detect + Neutralize + Eliminate = Win
grep-v
Veteran
Veteran

Match report

Post by grep-v »

So, another report, of course not illustrated like Tim's (really nice, that one almost looks like some magazine article !)

1. Round: Johan Figlarz / Instant Death Dwarves (Chaos Dwarf)

Should have been playing against Longshot's Lighning Bug, but there was one player less, so Longshot resigned to make it an even number and I played my worst game in this tournament. Rolled 1s and 2s and skulls, Troll failed to do anything significant, Centaurs kept falling, dwarves were pushing players around while my opponent made lots of good rolls. Only two lucky moments (long passes): first to get the Ball away from my end zone and spoiling a TD at the end of the first half, in the last two turns of the second half: a dozen GFIs, a scattered long bomb by a Centaur, ball picked up by the other Centaur,
some mor GFIs and subsequent TD.
1:1, a lucky draw (or unlucky, depends).

2. Round: Fondu77 / HO HISSE ENKULé (Orc)

Great, second bashing team. But this time I was on the sunny side.
stunning and KOing his orcs was enough to be safe. The Bull Centaurs were
pretty effective against this somewhat slow team, while his black orcs
kept on making turnovers. Second of three games (IIRC) in which my
Apothecary demonstrated his unmatched incompetence. During the second half
Fondu became more relaxed and so did his players, fumbling the ball
falling down on blocks, no more Yeeeeeeee Haaaaaaawww.
2:1, safe victory.

3. Round: Gobbla Bouffe squig / Da Waaaaaagh (Orc)

Pretty much the same like before with a little difference: my opponent managed
to injure my Piling-On-Troll, which lead to a lengthy misunderstanding, only possible with a french and a german guy both talking in english with little merits :-)
While I wanted to heal my Troll and asking my opponent if the Troll could
still regenerate at the end of the drive, if I rolled a one, he
misunderstood and told me I could also roll Regeneration right now, which
I misunderstood as "You have roll Reg. right now." I did, failed and with
some more questions (I'm not that used to pure LRB rules) the
misunderstanding cleared up the next turn, after the game had already
continued. We agreed to let the Apothecary do his job but still put the
Troll in reserve i.e. out of game for the rest of the drive. Pretty good
sportsmanship shown by my opponent, because if I would have known the
rules, I wouldn't have had to ask.
2:1, but not so safe victory

4. Round: Zeboss / PACIFIC (Wood Elf)

Finally a non-basher-team. But then the game went almost horrible: no
injury fest, just Stunned and KOed, elves dodging into two or three tackle
zones, only THREE ones on dodges through the whole game. Plus two big
mistakes by me in the second half spoiling my second TD, whe he was
already outnumbered. On the other hand: stalling the game for six or seven
turns while bashing and mashing wood elves (OK, I only tried to) was a nice
possibility after few hours of sleep.
1:0, and almost got hurt by them, my toughest opponent along with Tim.

5. Round: Pierrot / Les Esprits Frappeurs (Dwarf)

OK, I admit it, this game was decided after the first few turns. I had only one
Dwarf with Guard less than him, had a Piling-On-Troll and the stronger
players. Additional my dice rolled marvelous, his dice chuckled with each
roll about something about "Snake Eyes", "Skulls" and so on.
Dispatched his skilled players in the first turns. Six blocks by the
Troll, five knockdowns, five injuries, thank you.
2:0, with the third TD canceled by a bad catching roll.

6. Round: Tim / Doomville Titans (Chaos Dwarf)
The Final Game.
While boasting around on the first day about ruling the tournament, trophy
will be mine and never going to Mannheim's sickos, because I'll own their
asses, I preferred laying low on Longshot's interview, clever me :-)
Before match I had a lengthy discussion with Tim about the game to come and we both agreed, that CD against CD was very prone to lucky dice rolls. We supposed the armour rolls to be decisive in this game and of course we were wrong :roll:

First Kickoff, dadadadaa dadaaaaaa: Throw a Rock. Hits his dirty player
Hobgoblin, KO, harhar. Tim's first turn: HIS Piling-On-Troll does nothing,
few actions later: a turnover. My first turn: MY Piling-On-Troll KOs his
only Guard-Dwarf. Go, me!
And it went on like this for the rest of the game, a pitch invasion and a
perfect defense for me, my Guarders annoying him (almost) till
desperation. Ironically, before the tournament I considered almost the
same team roster like Tim but stayed with my higher FF and Apo instead of
two more Hobgobs. It really paid off in this final: FF made me win all
important kickoff events, Apo healed a player several squares before the
endzone who made the second TD a few turns later. With four turns left for
him to egalize the score, I chose to set up VERY defensive and even
prevented a TD (of course with the nice event of Perfect Defence).
2:0, all glittering prizes come to me :-)

To sum up: a tough competition. I expected to play against one or two
beginners making enough mistakes to grant me a 4:0, but met pretty
competent coaches. Playing against all those bashing teams also was a bit of a
problem for me. 12 Casualties in all six games, if you subtract the six
casualties from the lucky fifth game, it's about 1 Cas/game, which isn't
that much. So: great tournament, great location, last but not least great
people, will come again!

Detect + Neutralize + Eliminate = Win
Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

grep-v wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:I hope I had been there... I think my lizards can stop and beat any Chaos Dwarf :P
That's possible. Your skinks too ?
Don't think so, but at least they would be tasty snacks ... 8)
:D never lost against CD. And played against them twice at Blood Bowl and they had starplayers and I didn't (but I must admit I suffered a lot against Grumble).
And my skinks are ferocious... they only eat cow meat :-P

Jokes apart, congrats!!!

If you love something, let it go. If it doesn’t come back to you, hunt it down and kill it.