PBEM Tournament

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Dark Lord (retired)

PBEM Tournament

Post by Dark Lord (retired) »

Anyone thought of doing this?
An NAF sanctioned TBB invitational or something?
Just a thought.

Reason: ''
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

If it uses Javabowl or BBirc, i'm in. PBeM, i'm out.

Dark Lord (retired)

If it's NAF sanctioned it has to be PBeM I think. Not sure. I don't think I would be comfortable playing with the other systems anyway. Since I'm not sure if they are as cheat proof as PBeM is.

I was thinking that it could be run at a certain time, just like a normal tourney. As long as each coach used the same instant messenger they could talk while they kicked the file back and forth. I know time zone restrictions would make it difficult for a west coast American to play an East German but we would also have more time than a normal tourney. The tournament round could start at 12:00 am GMT on a Saturday and run til 11:59 pm. And if you are kicking the file back and forth through an IM program then it shouldn't take more than a couple hours to play a match even with OT.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

i'm not satisfied any of them are cheat proof

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Grumbledook wrote:i'm not satisfied any of them are cheat proof
I'm satisfied that the PBeM tool is cheat proof enough if you set up the rules in advance that only one computer could be used by each player for the tournament (and no computers on revolving networks).

I know of 2 small holes in the PBeM cheat protection, but we are talking about some serious effort needed to cheat, and you'll never be able to assure the rolls you want.

Galak

Dark Lord (retired)

And I think that if it was the type or setting I'm talking about (Chatting and IMing while you play) it would be obvious when a person took 45 minutes on a 3 move turn that funny business was going on. :wink:
I think in that typpe of situation you could apply a 10 or 15 minute time limit to the turns.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I'd happily take part in something like this..NAF sanctioning may be a different matter though...but we could easily run a TBB Open or something...
And DL's right, Pbem's plenty fast enough if you're both online at once...y'know I never thought about using IM and chatting as well as using it to zap the file over.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Dark Lord (retired)

My brother in law and I did it for the REBBL once and when I was teaching him the tool. It's pretty nice because you can avoid the PBeM problems...like leaving a dead player's square open in case the apothecary works, or the side step stuff, and all that diving tackle business, etc.

tchatter
Super Star
Super Star

Post by tchatter »

Yeah, my brother and I do this every so often, it is much faster, you can get a game in quickly.

Maybe we should run a TBB Open tournament as a 'test' to prove to the NAF that it can be done?

I would volunteer to run it, but I honestly don't have the time...

FUMBBL Coach name: tchatter
Ex-Commish of REBBL
Dark Lord (retired)

I'd volunteer but I haven't sent them my $10 yet. :wink:

I could try to set something up but it may be easier for somebody who is already a commisioner and involved in the NAF...(cough...cough)Galak(cough...cough)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Its the time ... I just don't have it right now. Talk to me after GenCon when I have time to think about it.

Galak

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

You can't cheat with Javabowl or BBirc anymore than you can IRL, because your opponent witnesses your die rolls.

Blood Bowl was made to be played real time, with your opponent sitting in front of you. Javabowl and BBirc are the two closest things we have available, and PBeM is nowhere near them in that department.

lawquoter
Legend
Legend

Post by lawquoter »

yeah, but for those of us that can't spare the time for javabowl, or table-top, PBeM is a perfect way to play. It's not the same, but it allows us access.

I'd be interested, depending on the timing of the rounds, and when it would begin.

:smoking:

NUFFLE SUCKS!
LQ says " I may be slow, but the sh*ttiness of this beer hasn't hit me yet."

I twist nuffle's teat and laugh.
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Well, if games are gonna take a whole day each as suggested, i don't see how time is a problem. Javabowl takes about 1 hour to 1½ hour to play, or so i've been told.

Dark Lord (retired)

I don't know much about javabowl but AFAIK it's not complete and so, I doubt it's anywhere near as cheat proof as PBeM. And as the REBBL Challenge League found out, thanks to the PBeM software, there are a lot out there.

As for other reasons:

The NAF has said it will allow NAF members to compete over PBeM in some circumstances and that is what I'm pushing for. An NAF sanctioned tournament. If you want in you'll need to join.

I like PBeM and it's the topic of this thread. Please stop hijacking my thread. If you want to play a javabowl tournamnet than go start a new thread.