PBEM Tournament

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

Dark Lord wrote:
As for me and my area...well I live in a state that is about the same size as your country but our population is about 2.8 million people at 52 per square mile while yours is around 50 million at 376 per square mile.

Does this make sense now? I don't just walk to the local pub for a beer when i feel like it. I have drive 20 miles and cross 2 bridges.
I don't just get up and go to the game shop or stop my friend's house for a game. It has to be a weekend thing because the shop is in another city across state lines about 45 miles away.
There is nothing around my house right now but other houses and corn.

Does that help?
Help what? I don't pop by my friend's house for a game either, because my nearest bb playing friend is over 2 hours drive away. We may live nearer together but we don't all play bb and know each other. We don't all drink tea at 4pm with scones and sandwiches either :D
Ok, you live in the middle of nowhere, if I lived in the middle of nowhere I wouldn't expect a tourney near me either. How do you think the guys in Oz and New Zealand feel about this sort of stuff. If they want a 'major' tourney they need to go half way across the world! If so few people can be bothered to travel in the us, then why do we have a major there and one in canada at all? I'm sure the aussies/kiwis etc wouldn't mind it. Then you boys can go and play hide and seek in your seemingly empty countryside...

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Digressing a little here myself, but if BB is as hard to get in the US as it sounds (and it's not that I don't believe you), has anyone thought about getting a petition up (yes, it sounds stupid) for North American players to sign, and then get a copy sent to both GW's American and UK offices.

I don't know how many NA coaches there are here on TBB, but if they all signed, and got there non-TBB opponents to sign as well, I'm sure it'll come to an impressive figure.

Impressive enough t sway GWUS? Who knows? :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I don't think there's many GW store over here that carry the full range of BB stuff either...it's all 40k, WFB, LOTR, whatever latest other game they're pushing and snotty nosed kids with parents and credit cards. Neither are there thriving BB leagues taking place in these stores on game nights. (there's probably a few scattered around the country though). We want BB gear, we mail order it, same as you guys. More often that not, we get a screwed up order, same as you guys.
It really is not the land of milk and honey here, whatever the perceptions are.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

He just deep down wants to be english like the rest of the world. I mean lets face it no matter how hard it is at the end of the day we get to say we are english.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I really was afraid that the Chaos Cup was going to have an official that would not know the rules.

I've since found out that Cyberhare is helping ref the Chaos Cup.

And I hate to say it, but I now convinced that the GenCon Bowl is putting a serious drain on the folks going to the Chaos Cup (whereas I thought it would be the other way around). GenCon is a MASSIVE convention. Whereas the Chaos Cup is just that since you won't have time to see Games Day as the tournament runs past your ability to see it.

Plus ... I'm pulling out a lot of stops to make sure the tournament rocks. This is all as to ... why has the Chaos Cup only sold 25 to 30 tickets at this point.

As for US support ... well there are a lot of leagues ... I know of 4 in Indiana. But of those 4 leagues ... only 3 coaches I know of are on TBB ... so advertising is a bit of a tricky mess. How do you get the word out if the folks are not online???

And if the next issue of BB Mag mentions the GenCon Bowl ... with the 5 week delay to get to the USA ... it will arrive after the tournament ...

I'm not sure of the difference. I wish I knew why the Blood Bowl sold 200 tickets in 5 hours and the Chaos Cup hasn't hit 30 in 2 weeks ... if I knew the answers, I'd definitely be sending them into GW. However, GW Chicago just spend $3,000 USD on a permanent Chaos Cup trophy and a permanent Stadium for the top seed each round to play in (this investment is why I was told the Chaos Cup would not be moved to GenCon next year or any year even if we get more players every year). They were planning on the tournament doing a lot better than it is ... thats for sure.

TChatter .... I like your ideas for the tournament. I don't have the web design knowledge to pull it off, but if you could figure it all out. I'd help you organize the tournaments from time to time.

Galak

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I tihnk the blood bowl sold out so quick cause everyone knew it was going to happen for like a year before. Then there is the fact its the BLOOD BOWL, if you want to win one of the 4 main tournaments you want to win the big one huh. So basically I think its more to do with the fact people were saving to go to it for ages coupled with the knowledge it was going to happen for ages were the determining factors.

Dark Lord (retired)

Post by Dark Lord (retired) »

Okay, I think the point of what I'm saying is still being missed here.

I'm not crying cuz England is the land of milk and honey.

I'm trying to explain to you that we don't live in Europe. The plain fact is that you lot have access to more tournaments than we do and thus the NAF is not much use to a coach like me.

Why is this a hard concept? And why can't you answer my question?
I asked you what the NAF was all about. You said it's not all about tournaments but that is all I see on the web site.

I'M NOT KNOCKING THE NAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Christ i don't want this to be another BBRC thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just giving you the plain truth that there just isn't as much of a reason for coaches like me to join. All I see for my $10 is black dice and a world ranking that I will never have the time or finances to exploit.
I'm whining or asking for more tournaments or anything. I'm trying for 3 pages to explain to you why I really don't feel I need to join the NAF...and I'm sure I'm not alone on this. Hell, most coaches in my league don't even see the point in posting on Bllod Bowl message boards or even conversing with the online community.

but anyway, this thread isn't about the NAF anymore because they won't deal with a PBeM tourney. So discussion of world rankings is just silly.
It doesn't matter.

I think Tim has the right idea. We should just start our own deal.

Asperon Thorn
Legend
Legend

Post by Asperon Thorn »

Deathwing wrote:Yeah, I may not know how big your continent is , but I've got half an idea of how many people live within 200m of say New York...or how many are out in LA/San Diego....
This is kind of a minor point, but a stickler for me. I really want to drive home how large things are in the US. (I skimmed after this so I am sorry if the topic has moved on.) From one end of LA to San Diego is, I think, exactly 356 miles. To drive from one end of the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area, at 85 Miles an hour and no traffic (which is rare at anytime), takes one and a half hours. As far as demographics, LA and San Diego get grouped together. And relitive to other major cities, they are grouped together. But the other large City in California is 500 miles away and can be reached in 6 to 7 hours (at reasable speeds, any Californians here don't have to tell me how fast they made that trip.)

Tourneys, on the west coast at least, would just be ridiculous. When I complain about not having any, someone could say "There was just one in California in San Diego." But that is completely unreasable to travel 800 miles (for me) one way on a regular weekend. Distance alone, in the United States really puts a damper on organized enthusiast hobby's.

Asperon Thorn

Looking for Fair and Balanced Playtesting of the DE Runner 7347 Surehands G,A,Pa 90K - Outdated and done.
tchatter
Super Star
Super Star

Post by tchatter »

Ok... things that have been determined:

USA = Big and spread out. $2 per gallon for gas. (More corn fields here then anything else)
Europe = close together but expensive to travel. $4 per gallon for gas (if DW's math is right) Don't eat tea and crumpets at 4. (shoots my perception of England, I don't want to go there now...)
Canada - well Toronto has SARS, and smelly Blood Bowl players...

GWUK - gets orders wrong, BUT get things as soon as released
GWUS - Gouges the consumer on shipping and is about 5-8 weeks behind on releases, but gets orders right.

NAF - does more then just tournaments and dice, but we don't know what yet.
NAFO - will probably never happen.
CHUBB :wink: - could just run its own PBEM tournaments and not have a problem. may even be able to have prizes. Canabalistic Human Underground Blood Bowl

PBEM - 1,000,000 times easier to cheat in, according to some, but the only way others can ever play. Since BB is very spread out in the US, most are spoiled teenagers that play 40,000 or MageKnight, or HeroClix.
JAVA - is the best, because they have FUMBBL, and you have a dice server that if it gets outta sync it lets you know. Hmmm... doesn't that mean someone cheated? But still won't work for some because of time commitments.
FACE2FACE - is of course the BEST way to play, but difficult for us 28+ year olds to accomplish, without scoring a LOT of brownie points with the wife. And the money issue, plus travel is a problem for others.

TCHATTER - Is trying to teach himself ASP to make webpages look pretty and do things on their own, but it is slow going. Could make a website the quick and dirty way however, in order to run a tournament.
GALAK - can program one hell of a BB Tool, but is lost when it comes to HTML. He can also setup a great tournament, so great that it killed the Chaos Cup ;)
DARK LORD - Just wants to play in an official tournament and get more then dice out of the NAF, but he would settle for an Official Unofficial Tournament.
DW - He is drunk and is just typing gibberish... :wink: and losing touch with the werewolf game. Never wants to see Online mixed with Off, which tchatter and galak agree with.

FUMBBL Coach name: tchatter
Ex-Commish of REBBL
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

um the blood bowl trophies are available from us mail order but not uk yet :p

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I think that covers it Rich very well ... wish I could design websites like Christer and the one Juergen just did for the PBeMBBL ... oh well cannot be good at everything ... ...

although I don't know that I killed the Chaos Cup ... just afraid that I broke armour on the AV roll by accident ... when I set up the GenCon Bowl the date of the Chaos Cup had not been announced ... the fact it was one week later was a big surprise to me. ... we have yet to see where the injury dice land on GenCon affects Chaos Cup.

Galak

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

Grumbledook wrote:um the blood bowl trophies are available from us mail order but not uk yet :p
I got them four weeks ago from GWUK

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Very nice, tchatter.

Shot down every preconception I had :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Heh. Good post tchatter! :D

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Grumbledook wrote:um the blood bowl trophies are available from us mail order but not uk yet :p
Grumble, ring up mail order, i ordered and reciebved mine well over a few weeks ago, there not on the website, but you can still buy em