National Wargaming Championships 14th-17th August 2003

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

rwould

Post by rwould »

The thing is it is very difficult to find somewhere large enough to host such a big tournament. Because of that the cost of the tournament goes up. Trying to find a venue for 244 competitors (last year) plus a decent amount of trade stands is not easy!

Due to having entered so many of the competitions in the past for historical gaming I'd not considered how different/ complicated it is for entering! That is a very good point, and for next years event I will try and simplify it for BB players.

It also got taken over at a relatively late stage by me, which meant the prep for the tourney hasn't been as good as it could have been. More notice of all the rules and costs would certainly have helped I think.

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Cheers

Richard

Reason: ''
noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

Trust me, I know what its like trying to find a venue for an event such as this - there will be 300-400 competitors descending on Sheffield next April...touch wood :D

Its still not a reason to make ridiculous demands. Now all that BRITCON is doing is losing out on the money we WOULD have paid...

Ah well...

The BB tournament rules looked OK - but yes the entry form could have been simpler...

I shall now have to find something to do with myself on that weekend.... Anyone want a game of Blood Bowl? :D

Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

The entry form was a little 'non-user friendly', although I don't think that in itself would actually stop people from signing up.

The scoring system looked interesting. Maybe next year...

My biggest concern was two nights on campus with student priced beer was that I might not be up in time for the games

rwould

Post by rwould »

Noodle: If it is any help try getting in touch with Sheffield Wargames Society, the people who run triples. Lloyd may be able to assist with costs of various venues and give some guidance if you've not found anywhere yet.

(From an ex-Sheffield student!)

(Oh, and if you need an extra Sheffield rep lmk. I can play most wargames periods)

I'm looking forwards to the student priced beer as I live in London! There could be some problems though :puke:

Cheers

Richard

noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

We have a venue booked already :D

thanks be to the university and its half price doings

rwould

Post by rwould »

For the BB tournament there are now a limited number of day passes available. This means your entry will cost £27.50. Those who were interested please get your entries in!

I have copies of the entry form in Word, so if anyone wants the details then please e-mail me at richard.would@legalservices.gov.uk.

Cheers

Richard

dwarfcoach
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl
Location: That odd twilight that exists 'cause you have only had 3.5 hours sleep

Post by dwarfcoach »

Hmm, so does that mean I can come along and organise my own accomedation now then?

How many tickets are available and how big will the tourny now be.....?

*Mr. T pities the fool. Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off. *
Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

Hmmm, I've now agreed to do something else that weekend... but am really tempted to try and get to Loughborough if there are now going to be more than 4 people...
You're a bad man Mr Would - tempting me with the lure of bb and possibly student ale.
Is the Cheerleader championships on again?? That could sway me!! :P

rwould

Post by rwould »

Dwarfcoach:

Yes, you can organise your own accom., although I'd recommend staying on campus as it is less of a walk after lots of beer, plus it is far easier for rolling out of bed in the mornings :zzz:

It looks as if there should be at least eight players now (including me). I would obviously like a larger turn-out, but that is certainly enough to get a reasonable run going. Plus there is a wide range of trade stands there, and lots of other games to look at and view. I'll also have along various silly games for those who wish to play something different between matches.

Slinky78:

The cheerleader championships are elsewhere this year I am afraid. But does not the sight of three hundred war gamers attract you ? :o

I'll even buy you a beer.....

Go on.....

Cheers

Richard

Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

Which TBBers are going to be there then?

noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

I'm apparently going :D

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

I'm not - got to go for a suit fitting for a friend's wedding and being the best man I can't easily get out of it :)

Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

After a lot of chaotic schedule fiddling looks like I should be able to make it - if I can still sign up. :-?

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Indigo wrote:I'm not - got to go for a suit fitting for a friend's wedding and being the best man I can't easily get out of it :)
You have a friend? :o

:P

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

suprised me too! 8)

I think the fact he's picked me proves HE doesn't have many friends... ;)