National Wargaming Championships 14th-17th August 2003

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

I may also have missed something blatant, but what teams are allowed? Will we be able to use the new elf team, or the Khemri/Necromantic ones?

Seeing as how the NAF site doesn't allow them yet I guess not...

Reason: ''
rwould

Post by rwould »

Sorry for the lack of reply: am in the midst of a 'jolly fun' training course for work.

Only the teams listed in the current LRB are available for use, so none of the experimental teams may be used.

The cost is a bit complicated....

Because accomodation comes as part of the package the cost depends upon the accomodation you go for.

Assuming a 2 night stay (Friday and Saturday night) the cheapest package is £77 (single room, shared facilities, includes a huge breakfast).
En-suite is £99 (still with a huge brekkie), and the hotel is £150. I've always used the en-suite before and the rooms are fine.

In addition the figures from GW have come through. We have the new Varag and Griff, a new Dwarf wielding a chainsaw, a new dwarf carrying bombs, and the last one I think is a female elven referee! When I can I'll get some pictures up of them.

Cheers

Richard

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

What's your take on figures?

Only official GW ones, or any "fantasy football" lines?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
rwould

Post by rwould »

Any figures as long as they are suitable for the game and painted. It does not need to be GW figures.

Cheers

Richard

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

Good to see they need to be painted - is there a 3 colour minimum limit?

And hopefully there will be a prize for best painted team, I'm working on a new one now :wink:

rwould

Post by rwould »

There is no three colour limit, but I am sure all the players can use common sense as to what is a painted figure and what isn't. (I hope maybe I should say!)

The painting competition is overall across the whole tournament, taking into account every period. If the players who enter would prefer, I can easily enough put forwards a prize for the best painted BB team.

Richard

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

hell yeah - I'm doing a team specially for it :)

rwould

Post by rwould »

Sadly we have only had three entries for this. It looks highly unlikely that a BB tournament will take place, which will be a real shame. It is a really good show (lots of traders there too, including fanatic) so please come and help raise the BB flag!

If people are interested then please get your entries in ASAP, as in theory we have just passed the closing date.

I'd also be interested in any feedback as to why people do not wish to attend. Whether it be the cost, the format of the event, or the rules used it would be really useful to know for considering whether to include BB in future years.

Cheers

Richard

noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

I sent my entry in. The form was more than a bit confusing though

garoned
Rookie
Rookie

tournament

Post by garoned »

i'll be there too for my first tournamnet but i need to know when it's the closing date because i need to paint my team and to book accomodation days off and so on accordingly

noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

Well you can count me (and my dad) out anyway.

My dad got a letter today saying we had been refused the "day package" at £27.50 because we didn't live in Loughborough

But less than an hour's commute away...

So I'm not paying £77 and my dad's not staying in Uni halls of residence (!) and would have to pay for nothing.

Apparently the event is a "convention" and £77 is good value... :roll:

So - to Cambridge in September :D

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

hmm, didn't realise I needed to fill in a form hence no application for me. Also, if Noodle had problems getting the £27.50 package then I sure as hell wouldn't be able to if I was staying in Leicester.

I wouldn't say the problem was with the BB tournament at all, more like the old fashioned money grabbing attitude displayed by the convention organisers.

:(
Shame was looking forward to getting to three tournaments this summer. And it kind of makes my Chaos team project I'm working on lose all momentum :cry:

Someone please organise another tourney in the UK soon!

noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

Hmm - We need one in August now...

The closing date was Monday for BRITCON and my Dad was not impressed with the response he got...

We are looking forward to CamCarnage though...

If only I could organise a tournament in Sheffield at short notice.... :-?

If all else fails see you in Sept ;)

Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Low turnout

Post by Slinky78 »

Shame it's had such a poor response, admit I said I'd go then widdled about at the last moment and wasn't one of the 3 to fill the form in - although I did know there were only 3 up to then so that was rather influential.
I'm not sure why so few, but I suspect as mentioned the quite rigid entry payment criteria were off-putting. I know it was of some concern to me. I don't think £77 for 2 nights b+b is bad value particularly, the Bloodbowl plus shared Travelodge room is £90. But the inflexibility of it is a problem. £77 of value or not, it's still £77, take it or leave it (the £55 1 night b+b hardly solves the matter). I think a lot of people (and I did for Lancaster) try to either find tourneys close to home, or use friends/family nearby to save the cost of accommodation, which generally means just £25-30 (ish) for tourney entry, which makes a difference. I'm not saying the bhgs (is that right?) policy is right or wrong, but I can see how that much money would be prohibitive, especially when bloodbowl is now enjoying a relative wealth of events.
Have to say I'm still surprised by the lack of numbers, so maybe I've missed some key reason. Thanks for trying to organise it anyway.

noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

Personally I think the BHGS policy of refusing to allow people to visit on a daily basis unless they are physically in Loughborough is bizarre, misguided and detrimental to both the tournaments and the wargames convention as a whole.

Even if it were not close to home (well my dad's home) there is no way he would stay in University halls anyway (he's an old man now :))

It is a great shame that this has happened like this as I was available to play and greatly looking forward to a Blood Bowl tournament in August.