Spikey - reduce the effects of Riots?

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Should riot be reduced to D3 turns for tournaments?

Yes - change riots to D3 turns
76%
No - leave riot as it is
24%

Total votes: 29

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Spikey - reduce the effects of Riots?

Post by DoubleSkulls »

A lot of people at tournaments hate getting riots as they believe it effects the result of the game too much.

So should riots be reduced to D3 turns?

Reason: ''
Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

We replaced it (and Pitch Invasions, too) completely with a less impact rule (see Mannheim tournament).

But D3 would be much better than D6 imo, same for PI. And D6 players to move on a blitz! Those three would be my favorite changes to balance the kickoff table.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I'm loath to reduce the effects of Pitch Invasion. You may as well tell everyone to take FF 1 - why bother with higher levels otherwise?

As for blitz you can set up on offence so that a blitz (or perfect D) hurts you less. A little bit of caution and interlocking TZ across your front makes blitz much less dangerous, and really it ought to only cost you a turn or two.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

i think it should be 2d6

kaboom
Super Star
Super Star

Post by kaboom »

not 2D6, i think 4D6 at least! :wink:
what do you think about this?

how.... i'm just a jerk...... :puke:

the come back of the come back
Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

Riot cost me a game at the FO; I'm not too fond of using houserules at tournaments, but reducing Riot from 1D6 to 1D3 would be a nice idea, I think

R

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

i would prefer 1D3 cos we want to play even if it is to loose...
well, i voted yes on this one...

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
l_dauguet
Legend
Legend

Post by l_dauguet »

I voted yes. Main argument is similar to Longshot. When you travel from far away, you're not too happy when the game ends after 40mn!

Next time I win !!!
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

Also voted yes!

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

It's how I am playing it at CamCarnage - otherwise it can simply ruin someone day and when you've paid for a ticket then it leaves a bitter taste...

While we are on the subject on the kickoff table, what about the idea of making the weather result force a re-roll that changes the weather, i.e. re-roll the weather until it changes?

I personally can't see the point of that result as it rarely does anything.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Indigo wrote:It's how I am playing it at CamCarnage - otherwise it can simply ruin someone day and when you've paid for a ticket then it leaves a bitter taste...

While we are on the subject on the kickoff table, what about the idea of making the weather result force a re-roll that changes the weather, i.e. re-roll the weather until it changes?

I personally can't see the point of that result as it rarely does anything.
That's exactly the point though. Lessen the effects of the more serious effects of the KO table and have more results that don't do anything.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

D'oh I voted no then realised this was for tournaments - YES, kick - off's in general are EXTREMELY powerful in tournies so D3 turns seems fair(er)

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

Deathwing wrote:That's exactly the point though. Lessen the effects of the more serious effects of the KO table and have more results that don't do anything.
Well what's the point of using the kickoff table if the goal is to have it not affect the match in a meaningful way. Riot is unbalanced IMO, esp. for tourneys, but the weather can add an interesting and more balanced element into play that will force coaches to adjust how they play.

For example, a blizzard will force throwing teams to run more which requires these coaches to be able to run with the ball as well lobbing it around.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

If you don't use the Kickoff table at tournaments then there is no point taking FF. With a KO table buying FF is a strategic decision...

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

The 'point' is for fluff, fun and a bit of unpredictablity.

The average of 2d6 is 7, so (under your proposal) after a team scores there's a good chance that the weather will change and adversely effect the team that's just conceded next drive.
"You've just gone a score down, now it's harder to pick it up, pass it or gfi....ok, end of drive. Now I've got the ball back, the average 7 comes up again and guess what? Perfect weather for me again!" Really, think about it.

And why must 'something' happen every single time the ball is kicked? About the only time nothing happens now is when weather comes up and it remains fine, and you want to do away with that?

I believe the KO table in general should have less impact. I really like what Phil's done with the LPL tables. Basically they're D66 tables with D3 turn riots, Thrown Rocks automatically stunning the player being hit, blitzes allowing you to move one player, and a lot of results where nothing happens. (There's a lot of staidum specific fluff too, but that's getting away from the point..)

The utter randomness of the KO table IMO should not cost you games (at least not in a tourney situation and not for NAF ranking points).

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."