Tournament in central IL

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Should I run the tourney?

Demo and Tourney
100%
Just do a demo
No votes

Total votes: 8

Perrinbash
Rookie
Rookie

Tournament in central IL

Post by Perrinbash »

I was invited to run a tourney/Game Demo at the local Convention in Central Il.

I've never run a tourney before.

a few more details

Tourney would be a 1 day affair with at most 4 rounds

Tourney would take place in just under 2 months.

It has been verified that there is an interest in the game in this area.

Should I run the tourney or just do a game demo?

If you think I should do the tourney any suggestions for success?

For the moderators If I've placed this in the wrong section please feel free to move it

Thanks ahead of time all.

Reason: ''
grep-v
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Tournament in central IL

Post by grep-v »

Perrinbash wrote:I was invited to run a tourney/Game Demo at the local Convention in Central Il.
You know, when I read "Central IL" I first thought about a tournament in Israel :D

Detect + Neutralize + Eliminate = Win
Dark Lord (retired)

Post by Dark Lord (retired) »

I could possibly go...since The Chaos Cup is now out of the question for me.

Thrud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Thrud »

Where in central IL is this Convention held? I live in central IL and have a league there. I am sure some of us would attend.

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

do some research on here and the NAF site to make sure there is interest, but I'd say a tournament is a valid idea. Although true I haven't actually finished running one, and I am not making out I'm a tourney guru, it is not as hard as it might seem.

trick is advertising it and gettin people to sign on ;)

Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

Guage the interest in a tourney. If you have aprize more will want to compete.

If you can't get at least 8 I would go with just a demo.

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
Thrud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Thrud »

In my previous message I didn't mention that I have been to 3 Blood Bowl Tourneys and 2 of them have been NAF sanctioned. Therefore I have had some experience with how these tournaments are usually ran. I am still very curious as to when and where this convention will be held. I would love to attend and bring some other Blood Bowl players from my league to participate in a tournament if that is the plan.

Perrinbash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Perrinbash »

Indigo and Melifaxis Thanks for the advice. At this point the tournament is decided. The Convention organizer and the GW contact felt pretty sure that there would be enough folks attending to allow for a tourney. :)

I registered it on Naf a couple days ago but have not heard anything back from them.

http://www.flatcon.com/03/games/bbowl.htm

This is the link to the necessary info for anyone interested.

Thrud Glad to hear I'm not the only Bloodbowler over here. Just moved here last year and haven't met a single one yet.

The tourney is in Bloomington. Hopefully not too far for you to drive. :)

The scoring of the tournament may look slightly odd but per the qoute from my GW contact
"This is what is suggested in the Rogue Trader
Handbook, available to the public soon.. :)"

Perrinbash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Perrinbash »

Forgot to mention the entry fee listed on the web site doesn't include the registration for the Convention. That is $15

lawquoter
Legend
Legend

Post by lawquoter »

Hmm...I actually could do this one too. I've never been to Bloomington, how far from St. Louis?

NUFFLE SUCKS!
LQ says " I may be slow, but the sh*ttiness of this beer hasn't hit me yet."

I twist nuffle's teat and laugh.
Perrinbash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Perrinbash »

Per Mapquest it is less than 3 hours about 160 miles

also if you would like specific directions, on the left side of linked website is a location and directions link that has directions from St. Louis to the hall where the Con is being held.

It has direction from some other lcations too.

Thrud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Thrud »

Well it looks like I'll be bringing 3 or 4 others besides myself. Who else is planning to attend besides me and my group? I am curious as to the number of possible participants.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Thrud wrote:In my previous message I didn't mention that I have been to 3 Blood Bowl Tourneys and 2 of them have been NAF sanctioned. Therefore I have had some experience with how these tournaments are usually ran. I am still very curious as to when and where this convention will be held. I would love to attend and bring some other Blood Bowl players from my league to participate in a tournament if that is the plan.
Thrud ... are any of your clan coming over for the GenCon Bowl? Just curious.

I might be able to go to a one day tournament depending on when in September (not my anniversary weekend), and what the rules are. I really don't want to play in a tournament using carry over SPPs or Star Players unless its the GenCon rules for Stars. Hate to be picky but that a long day for me if I don't like the format.

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Oops ... I thought this was going to be in September, but I just looked at the weblink ... August 8th is a no go ... too close to GenCon to get spousal approval.

And I really liked the rules that I read ... except one... -1 point for every player that is still KO'd at the end of the game ... ouch .... I think I'd bring Dwarves just to play the game to get the most benefit and least negative from that rule.

I'd rather see this change:
15 points for a win, 5 for a loss. 10 for a tie.
+1 point for every point you beat your opponent by (max +3)
-1 point for every player of yours Injured (in any way other than KO) greater than the number of your opponent's injured players.

But that just me ... otherwise the rules look good. Sorry I cannot make it ... Late Aug / Early September and I could have come.

Galak

Thrud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Thrud »

Actually Galak, me and one other guy from my league will be attending GenCon and are looking forward to it. It's kinda cool cause I will be attending 3 quality Blood Bowl Tourney's in 3 consecutive weekends. First I will be at GenCon, then the following weekend at the Chaos Cup at Games Day Chicago, and the following weekend after that I will be attending the Blood Bowl tourney at Flatcon in Bloomington.