Gauging interest in a Michigan tournament

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Keeping the UCon tournament in mind, which of these months would you most likely want to/be able to attend a Michigan tournament?

September
No votes
October
29%
December
29%
January
29%
Later than January
14%

Total votes: 7

Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Gauging interest in a Michigan tournament

Post by Cervidal »

November 14-16, 2003 is the date of the UCon tourney in Ann Arbor, run by the all-powerful JKL. Definitely THE Blood Bowl tournament of the year to go to in Michigan.

Well, I'd like to make a second tournament of the same kind of magnitude right here in the Lansing area. In addition to being NAF sponsored, it would carry the weight of a Rogue Trader Tournament. It turns out that GW is offering this possibility in the near future and I would like to take advantage of this.

I openly encourage all folk to participate in the UCon tournament but, if possible, I would like to see people attend both! So now I have this poll up and running to see when people would be most likely to attend this other tournament.

Reason: ''
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Anywhere i can get info on what rougue trader tournament means?

I know they are usually warhammer/40k but other than that i dunno much what rougue trader denotes. ;]

Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

Well... to be honest... I'm not entirely sure! The local GW guy mentioned it and I always see RTT events for 40k and WHFB, as well. I'll get more details on just what that means come Friday, when I talk to the chap once again.

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

RTTs are GW sanctioned tournies at independent events I think. I think they have a ranking system as well.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
jaylazer
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by jaylazer »

I might be interested. I live near Philadelphia but my sister lives in Waterford, MI. It's always good for a vist.

Do you know if that's anywhere near where you were going to have the tourney?

How about the UCon tourney?

I haven't voted yet since I'm not sure if it's worth all that travel for it.

Jay
NAF number: 559
Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

Waterford is a suburb of Detroit. I'm not entirely sure just where near Detroit since the 'burbs stretch a good forty miles in all directions save east for Detroit.

UCon is in Ann Arbor, which is about an hour south but mostly west of Detroit.

The tournament I'm considering running would be in East Lansing, which is about another forty minutes further and a different route from Detroit.

Rather amusingly, they are rival college towns.

JasonC
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by JasonC »

I would attend an NAF tourney in EL. Finding asuitable location might be tough. I may be worth looking into an hooking up with any student gaming groups associated with MSU that still may be around.( The Brass Dragon might still exist but I dont know I've been out of those circles since the 80's.) The student groups WERE able to get rooms in the Union either free or next to nothing. There were some really good conventions out at the Union in the 80's. But Like I said, I have been out of it for 15 years and would'nt have a clue how to go about it know. I know Riders Hobby used to do a historical miniatures convention at the Kellogg center ( they still might), it could be a start point.

Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

Location for the tournament is already taken care of. This would be run through the Fortress, which is a shop just off of Grand River, about a block north of Morill Hall at MSU's campus. (I may be slightly off on that, though)

I don't know anything about housing deals or whatnot. Right now, I'm just trying to see if I can drum up enough interest to make it worth planning.

JasonC
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by JasonC »

If memory serves me Fortress is a pretty small venue.
I'm not trying to be negative.

Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

The Fortress is not a large venue, true. I don't think one much larger would be necessary, though, judging by the amount of response I've received here and elsewhere.

It could easily go twenty games and thirty could fit without problem. If you can get me more than 40-60 coaches, however, I would gladly look to alternatives!

Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

Just make sure it's during the Wings season and you have a better shot of me making the trip 8)

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
JasonC
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by JasonC »

Cervidal wrote:The Fortress is not a large venue, true. I don't think one much larger would be necessary, though, judging by the amount of response I've received here and elsewhere.

It could easily go twenty games and thirty could fit without problem. If you can get me more than 40-60 coaches, however, I would gladly look to alternatives!
Wow! Idint think it could do half that! I have only been there 2-3 times a few years ago. Try riding the tails of something already going on, if there are around here. hell i dont know.

Thor
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Thor »

If you make it a Friday/Saturday tourny, I'd really try to attend. Also, I have some friends in Metro Detroit that would probably be interested in a Friday/Saturday tourny as well. Please keep us posted.

Thanks

Some days you are the dog. Some days you are the fire hydrant.
Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

Well, I have permission to go for a Saturday/Sunday tournament. Friday is one of their craziest days at the Fortress, and it wouldn't be worth it for them to clear out their basement on a Friday night.

Saturday/Sunday, either the third or fourth weekend of January. Now the key is figuring out cost. What would y'all be willing to pay? Would a better prize be worth a bigger cost?

Zergo
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Zergo »

I'm definitely down for a EL tournament. I live just a hair south of Flint, so it wouldn't be hard for me to get there. As I understand it, a RTT usually carries with it decent prizes. At Origins, the GW guys (incl. me, as a one-shot Outrider) were ready to give out decent loot to the BB tourney people, but no more than 3 ever showed up. I don't know how the Fortress people are thinking, but the shops tend to kick some stuff over to the best painted, best sportsman and overall winner.

Let's us all settle on a date and make this happen!

-Zergo

Smashy-smashy, roll two dice.