League Manager Software.

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

christer
Star Player
Star Player

League Manager Software.

Post by christer »

I'm considering creating a league manager application, as there apparently is need for such a thing.

What features would you like in such an application?

-- Christer

Reason: ''
Toby

Post by Toby »

Integration into Ski Junkies "Play Game" Client.

^^

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Quoting Anthony from the other thread:
Hmm for tournament management, my wish list would be:

- automatic pairings based on format (Swiss, round robin etc.)
- calculation of rankings from round to round
- summary of different stats (most TDs etc)

That's off the top of my head.
How would you want the stats to be placed into the application? Should it take care of team rosters as well as the league, should it import this information from html's or perhaps by manual means?

-- Christer

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Dangerous Dave wrote the spreadsheet that I use for my league management and I love it.

Galak

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

A few things :

- Be able to "tell" the program which format of schedule you want to use (especially if you play with an unbalanced calendar);

- Streaks (ie : four-game TD streak for XYZ...)

- Scored/passed/injured/intercepted X times against team A, team B...

That's all, but I might add to this thread in a near future though !

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Thanks Galak!

Love!

Not sure that's the right description ;) .... glad you like it!.... (and it is not a match up organiser - round robin or whatever!)

Team Tracker a la Dave is coming....... the new version is called BBRoster....

Dave

PS Galak when you have 10 spare minutes (!) check out the utility I sent you for the Leading Players!

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Its official Dave rocks :smoking:

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

If it's not alot of trouble maybe an error checker? I.E. a player is eligable for a roll on the star player table but no skill has been listed. It should point it out. I've a league tracker before (not sure which one but it was written in VB) and if you made an error it was a nightmare to correct it.
I make alot of stupid errors (anyone who has played me in the MBBL can attest to this) and I need the computer to babysit me.

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

How would you want the stats to be placed into the application? Should it take care of team rosters as well as the league, should it import this information from html's or perhaps by manual means?
For a tournament it would have to be manual since I get the rosters the day of registration.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Actually Dave I do use your programs to determine all the match-ups, but that's because the MBBL and MBBL2 are formula driven match-ups.

Galak

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Sure - I thought you did - simple matter of using the League Table!

My point was really that it doesn't work out match ups so that each team plays the others once etc.

Dave

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

doesn't work out match ups so that each team plays the others once etc
Heh, I can understand why. This isn't such a trivial problem as it seems from the start.. :)

When I decided to run my first league, I thought I'd just quickly put together a program to create the schedule.. Oh man was I mistaken...

Managed to create the schedule after a bit of effort though and after doing some research on the subject, I found that this is a NP-problem (problems that can not be solved in polynomial time). Far from trivial... These problems have the property that it's easy to see if a solution is correct so the problem lies in the huge search-space of solutions. To give you an idea of the numbers involved: Scheduling a league with 10 teams where each team should play the other once during a period of 9 rounds has 45 matches to be scheduled. The search-space (or the number of possible ways to schedule) for these 45 matches contain 45! (or about 1.2 * 10^56.. A 57 digit number) combinations. Now, assuming you could generate and test 1,000,000,000 of these per second, you'd be looking at a wait of around 3.8*10^39 years. Obviously, brute-force isn't a viable way to solve the problem...

There are various ways to generate these schedules though, and I have implemented one of these ways in the little tool I made. This method will probably be how I implement scheduling in my League Manager application.

Though at this point, I'm considering what kind of features people need from a tool like this. I also need to come up with a nice user interface for it...

-- Christer

SkiJunkie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by SkiJunkie »

>Integration into Ski Junkies "Play Game" Client.

I second that! :P

Optional integration of course, for those who don't want to use Ski's client.

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

League Management Software to download

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Want some League Management Software?

OK I have had a request for a copy of the League Management Excel Spreadsheet I have written. So I have posted a (slightly) slimmed down version with no results to my web-site.

It is in zipped form and is 1.1 megs zipped, 5.7 megs unzipped.

It is written using Excel 2000.

Now before you download it...... please note:-

Except where specified, DO NOT DELETE COLUMNS OR ROWS (the only place this is safe is the League Table).

It is set up for a max of 50 teams playing a max of 10 seasons over a max of 1,100 games (not enough for you?)

It uses the World Chess League Points system to determine points earned / lost for winning / losing / drawing games.

It was designed for Galak's League so each Season has Rounds then a Scramble and the Finals. NB The Finals and Scramble do not affect Current Season League Points

There are some Notes... see the Notes Sheet!

Most important - do not overwrite cells shaded purple - these are formula driven - you have been warned!

I have left 16 teams in the spreadsheet (called Team1 to Team16) plus races - just to show how the spreadsheet works - just overwrite these (Teams sheet) with your team names and races.

NB - I'm happy to answer some questions on this... however, I'm not going to support the program for you!

Please feel free to amend to suit your League - however, if you want to do this, I recommend you save an original copy first!

Here's the link.

http://www.dn-allen.supanet.com/Excel/L ... gement.zip

Dave

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

For me, Dave's spreadsheet and Ronald adding HTML dumps was just behind the invention sliced bread for usefullness in my life. :D

If anyone wants a spreadsheet that automates the World Chess point system .. his is the way to go.

Galak