Problem running PBeM tool.

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Basilius
Rookie
Rookie

Problem running PBeM tool.

Post by Basilius »

I must be missing something somewhere...

I'm interested in eventually joining a PBeM BB League, and was trying to get the 2.2beta PBeM tool up and running to get used to the software.

I'm running into a problem, though that I simply can't find the answer to. I can't get past the startup screen. I get the Who are you? drop down, but there are no entries, and the start new game and load saved game buttons are greyed out.

I think I've got the roster and ini subfolders setup properly, so I'm stuck. Can someone either point me to a page/document with the answers or help me out?

Thanks!

Basilius

Reason: ''
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Type your name in the box and you'll be OK

Next time your name will come up as an option.

Dave

Vesticle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vesticle »

Diesel and I had another problem earlier in our game, the weather rolled for normal weather, but listed as a string of numbers. I'm guessing it's treating it like normal weather, and it's just a display error, or something, but I thought I'd mention it.

I think he also said that when he moved his guys, their numbers weren't shrinking like they were supposed to, to show that they moved. Oh well, don't know. =)

"Don't suck!" - David
Basilius
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Basilius »

Thanks, Dave.
:oops:
That was rather embarassing. Never even _thought_ to type there... didn't look like an edit field.

Basilius

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Vesticle .... hmmmmmmm ... have zero idea what would cause that.

Send the zipped log file to tom.anders@blood-bowl.net and I'll see what happened.

Or you sure both you and Diesel are using the same version??? At one point someone was using 1.6c that talked on the board. If you played a game with two different version being used ALL SORTS of weird stuff would occur as they tried to talk to each other.

Galak

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

I think the numbers will fail to superscript if no one has yet selected a turn. I've promised to write a full-fledged user manual for this creature, but it will have to wait until later this year when (a) I'm moved in to my new place, (b) I'm married, and (c) I have Publisher 2002 at home with the ability to write to PDF files.

-Chet

P.S. No, "b" isn't going to kill this project :)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Vesticle wrote:Diesel and I had another problem earlier in our game, the weather rolled for normal weather, but listed as a string of numbers. I'm guessing it's treating it like normal weather, and it's just a display error, or something, but I thought I'd mention it.

I think he also said that when he moved his guys, their numbers weren't shrinking like they were supposed to, to show that they moved. Oh well, don't know. =)
Okay after looking at the game log sent to me I know what caused both problems ....

As Chet said a turn marker was not clicked so the numbers didn't shrink when moved. I realize this was opening kickoff, so this is a reminder that you probably already know, but in a lot of PBeM leagues, you click your opponent's turn marker at the end of your turn to make sure that the log doesn't get screwed up and impossible to review for either player or the commish.

Problem 2 was the weather. After reviewing the file, you guys didn't pick a league style when you started the game. Now I should mention that when you do not pick a league style, the PBeM tool will play with the 3rd edition rules. When you start the game, there is a tab where if you don't want to use the rules from a preexisting PBeM league then you need to set the handicap table, weather table, etc. You guys never set these option so the game has zero idea what the weather should be.

See the PBeM tool is very customizable. You are allowed to create your own weather table that you can use with it .... so for instance if you wanted to use JKL's stadium rules then you could have a Weather Table for each of the different stadium types like he does and select it for the match at the beginning of the match.

Since you have no weather table the game is completely clueless what the weather actually is outside .... so basically it will be Nice all game even if you roll Weather Change on the kickoff table since there is no weather effect for the game to change to.

Its a easy mistake, I went into detail because 1) no one has done this before so I wanted to throughly explain .... and 2) I don't think most people know you can go into the tool and set up the handicap table, special play card table, weather table, kickoff table, and winnings table all to match the rules from your league to use the PBeM tool.

Galak

Vesticle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vesticle »

Danke. Excellent as always. =)

"Don't suck!" - David