Getting Stats out of PBEM tool?

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Getting Stats out of PBEM tool?

Post by High & Mighty »

Our league is thinking of moving into the PBEM realm for our next season because of some coaches desires to move away and further their education. :roll:

Currently, we keep all the league stats and rosters in an Excel workbook with a little more detail than usual so that Excel can filter all that good stuff through pivots and functions and give us our weekly updates, match-up previews, and top 10 lists.

I was thinking with the PBEM log, the manual stat-keeping could be kept to a minimum, but alas, the log doesn't want to copy and paste and my computer skills don't extend much past Excel. Is there some way to get a text copy of the log out of a PBEM game so I can import it into Excel or is this one of the things done to help protect from cheating?

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Reason: ''
Dain
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dain »

I have heard that Ronald wanted to work on a new kind of log but don't know where is the project.
I just know that the log is not only a standard text because when you clic twice on a line, the game returns to that step. No possibilities to copy the text.

What kind of stats do you use?
Maybe there is another way to get them!

I'm working on a program which will provide stats from Pbem savegame. I mean i have in mind that kind of project, not really working on now. Just on paper.
That could be nice to add your stats to the projects which "will" implements:
nb of blocks, injuries, % carrying ball, ...etc

Dain

High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by High & Mighty »

Thanks. In my opinion, the more stats the better. (I'm salivating over the idea of being able to calculate such details as time of possession calculated on the number of turns each team had possession of the ball... :D )

But I wasn't even thinking of something that specific. Just who attempted passes, who were intended receivers, what was the length of the pass, what was the result. Who injured whom, was it a block or a foul. Who got hurt in other ways and how (dodge, gfi, rock, crowd, etc). Plus just the normal stats on CAS, MVP, COMP, and TDs. Though I would assume since it's all in electronic format, you can pretty much get stats somehow on everything but the kitchen sink.

Just some nice and easy downloadable way to get this info out of a game file when it's done so it can be imported into Excel both for league management and general historical stat-keeping. (Note: I run regressions for a living so in addition to being the life of any party, I'm always looking for ways to get stats.)

I know I've seen Galak's comments about the results he's seen in hundreds of PBEM matches in his leagues for this or that topic. I was just hoping there was some method (other than his unmatched knowledge of BB :?: and apparently 30 minutes of sleep a night :zzz: ) I was missing of getting this data out of the files...

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Weeeeeeellll .... the reason that log is not exportable to text is that the REAL log file has a LOT of extra information in it that help identify cheating for folks like me and Ronald. This is why you cannot copy and paste it.

HOWEVER, I MIGHT be able to work up a feature that would dump the game viewable log to a text file ... or Ronald could probably do it in his sleep to be entirely honest.

I'll ask him.

Oh and as for sleeping 30 minutes a night .... well I guess you found my secret. I'm really the world's first interactive computer as a lark I was specifically designed for Blood Bowl. How the heck else could I run two big PBeM leagues, program the PBeM tool, and answer questions on 3 different forums. I cannot believe it took this long for folks to catch on.

Galak

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

two big PBeM leagues
Considering how many teams/coaches, i would say the word "big" is a bit of an understatement.I would be curious what the biggest league ever was b4 the mbbl 1/2.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

To my knowledge the largest league of all is still the OLBBL.

The largest PBeM league before the MBBL2 as the PBeMBBL.

Currently ... unless I'm missing something though, the MBBL2 is currently the largest scheduled league of any format (electronic or tabletop) in existance ... I think I broke 50 coaches signed up for season 3.

Galak

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Oh and as for sleeping 30 minutes a night .... well I guess you found my secret. I'm really the world's first interactive computer as a lark I was specifically designed for Blood Bowl. How the heck else could I run two big PBeM leagues, program the PBeM tool, and answer questions on 3 different forums. I cannot believe it took this long for folks to catch on.
....and he's (it's?) REPRODUCED!
We're doomed I tell you! :lol:

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Dain
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dain »

HOWEVER, I MIGHT be able to work up a feature that would dump the game viewable log to a text file ... or Ronald could probably do it in his sleep to be entirely honest.
Oh! Galak, you said something very important to me. If you can do something in order to export the log, to a text file, we could create a "stat calculator" program without knowing the encryption code.
And we could work on it from now!!!

great, great when can you perform that? Tonigh, between 3 and 3:30? :lol: :lol:

Dain

High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by High & Mighty »

A text file of some sort would be great!

And if I could just remember to move my turn marker, I'd be all set...

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

PBeM Ettiquite is that your OPPENENT is supposed to move your turn marker .... in fact in the MBBL and MBBL2 ... its required as a rule of the league.

Galak

High & Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by High & Mighty »

PBeM Ettiquite is that your OPPENENT is supposed to move your turn marker .... in fact in the MBBL and MBBL2 ... its required as a rule of the league.
Just joking really. In general, no more forgetting, with the exception of when it's time to set up for a kickoff when it gets easier to forget to move the marker after the ko...until you realize everyone's numbers are counting out wrong. :?:

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

High & Mighty wrote: In general, no more forgetting, with the exception of when it's time to set up for a kickoff when it gets easier to forget to move the marker after the ko...until you realize everyone's numbers are counting out wrong. :?:
Yeah, I do that occasionally, you get so used to your opponent moving it you can forget when it's down to you.
Another thing easy to miss is interception attempts, not a huge problem because you can roll it later and rewind. Still, a reminder would be nice.....kinda along the lines of YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN TO MOVE A WILD ANIMAL BEFORE THIS PLAYER!!!!!
I know nothing about coding but some kind of interception warning/reminder would be nice for us dimwits! :wink:
Kudos to Ronald and Tom, the tool is so damn slick nowdays that it's getting harder to remember the little manual stuff remaining! :D

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Dain
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dain »

Still, a reminder would be nice.....kinda along the lines of YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN TO MOVE A WILD ANIMAL BEFORE THIS PLAYER!!!!!
And what about a window like the one for Shadowing or dauntless re-roll. I think that could be easier and you can't avoid the message.

Dain

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

I have a list of 35 items that I want to add to the PBeM program.

I mailed the list to bbtool yahoo group and at some point the new official PBeM BB tool site ( http://www.pbembb.com ) will have the list up under the beta requests.

One of the 35 items is automatic rolling of the interception for the player with the BEST chance of catching the ball before the passing window even appears.

IE I right click to pass, then choose the target .. the interception attempt window will open BEFORE the pass window.

Then if the player succeeds at the interception attempt, you can mail the turn back ... if there was another eligible interceptor with the same odds of catching the ball, you could give it them instead (ie you won't HAVE to leave it with the player that caught the ball if another one with the same roll (normally a 6 anyway) could have caught it.

In case you missed the list ... here are the 35 things on the list to update to the tool:

Just FYI here is the list of things on my programming list
for the tool (in no particular order):

1) Added level of cheat prevention
2) Amateur skill for PBeM Human Pub teams
3) NoDeath skill for PBeM Human Pub teams
4) Right click player menu option: AV/Inj roll
5) D6 Throw-in movement (Squigs/Fanatics) right click
6) Block Re-roll button
7) Pro re-roll button for Dodge, Pass, GFI, Pick-Up, Catch
windows.
8) Cards option 2 6s Cheerleaders = RE and
2 6s Assistant Coaches = DT
9) Change APO to APOTH with each letter being
a seperate button for leveled Apoths
10) If O in APOTH is greyed, no KO special rolls.
11) Add the Dig skill (right click player)
12) Add the Bear Hug skill (right click player)
13) Add Goblin Net throwing (right click player)
14) Add throwing Bombs (explosive, stink, and BIG)
15) Add Bullet Throw skill to pass window
16) Add option to make Niggle rolls at beginning
of each half.
17) Text export option for the viewable log file.
18) Right click D8 D6 ball scatter
19) Help File
20) Automatic Kickoff results applied
21) LRB new rules .. Horns+Frenzy counts on 2nd block
for +1 ST against Stand Firm if the 1st block was
at +1 ST
22) Option to only have passes fumble on a modified
1 from FA and TZs ... Very Sunny and Range mods
don't count.
23) Add Experimental kicking rules (along with an option to have
a setting for whether AG or ST is used for distance)
24) Add the Easily Confused skill (Thrud)
25) Add automate Argue the Call roll for Secret Weapons.
26) Investigate log rewind errors caused by automatic
Argue the Call from Fouling ejections.
27) Add option that Coach cannot be ejected from automatic
Argue the Call roll if Get the Ref kickoff result in effect.
28) Turn markers for Blitz/Pass/HandOff/Foul/Cast
29) New MVP rules are that any player not missing the game
or Niggled out can get the MVP (the tool currently
requires them to be on the field at least once) add
option to apply the current LRB rules for MVP.
30) Add option to allow Cheerleaders and Assistant Coaches
to be permantenly Removed from the roster.
31) Add ability to manually adjust re-rolls duing the Post-Game
(currently due to an alignment problem the Buy button
for re-rolls prevents this ability).
32) Add pull down menu options under the SPP top menu
to REMOVE all the different types of SPPs from a
player for the game ... (biggest pain as commish is
manually removing incorrectly given SPPs from the
html after export)
33) Be able to add a line to your html file that allows you to
choose a primary color for your team and a secondary
color instead of using red and blue.
34) Add in an automatic interception roll for the player with
best chance of intercepting when a pass roll is made.
Automate Safe Throw to go allow with this change.
35) Fix the bug that doesn't use the bbcards.ini file that you
name in the league ini file but always uses bbcards.ini
no matter what. Also add in a feature to use a different
handicap table (like the bbcards.ini option)

Galak

Dain
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dain »

Waow, and i thought my own todo list was too long!!

Is anybodyesle plan to make a program to extract stats from savegames?
I propose to list the differents stats which can be nice to know. When the txt log will be available, we will be ready to work on the extractor.

Here are my opinions:
For each team:
  • -Nb of prone player during the game
    -Nb dead
    -Nb BH
    -Nb SI
    -Nb of stunned
    -Nb of turns with ball
    -Nb turn played in game (riot)
    -Nb blocks
    -Nb Dodge
    -Nb Pass
    -Nb Catch
    -Nb Gfi
    -Nb TD
We could make %stats of average turn/scoring, %possess ball, %success armour roll and all others from the previous list.

If everybody can add his point of vue, we could create a huge stats table!
Dain