OBBLM v. 0.75 (Online Blood Bowl League Manager)

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Yelf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Yelf »

...and, is it possible to create a new ranking system?

Reason: ''
nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

The team page in the team manage box.

Look in the settings.php file.

nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

Version 0.75 is now released. Main post updated.
Fetch it here http://obblm.googlecode.com/files/obblm-0.75.zip (example: funnyfinger's http://ate.stuntyleeg.com/).
Thanks to all contributers, you know who you are :wink:.

BigSexy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigSexy »

Hey. I just recently stumbled through setting OBBLM for our small league. I was wondering if there is any kind of tutorial for using it, for myself the administrator and to direct players to as well. For right now how do I set up a regular season in OBBLM as opposed to a tournament. We're doing an open style. Do to lifes scheduling issues we are just grabbing any game we can with who ever we can.

Ironbeard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ironbeard »

Hi

Can i have some help please as i think i am being a bit dim !

I have created a file host and have created a mysql database, i have uploaded my files and edited the settings file, however when i open my page and try to access the obblm folder to open the install page I get the error message - Can not connect to mysql server.

Have a done something wrong, i have edited the setting files with my username and password and the name of the database and have listed the host as my web address.
Any help would be appreciated

nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

BigSexy, no there is not, it really should be straight forward.
If you want to play seasons I suggest either making one large FFA tournament (open league format tournament), which represents the season, or prefix multiple tournaments with the season name.

Ironbeard, it sounds like you are not specifying the correct values in settings.php or that the MySQL server is not running.
Maybe you could pass me a link to your page?

BigSexy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigSexy »

Okay, thanks. Yes it mostly straight forward. It's just I'm confused where it comes to sheduling and setting up tournaments as far as what ranking systems to use, what the different FFA matches mean, and what not. Of course this is probably due to my inexperience with league play in general.

Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the different ranking systems available in OBBLM. the - and + are opposite of what my brain wants them to be and I can't seem to account for that adequately. Could someone explain the differences in the 7 ranking systems listed in OBBLM .75 and the meaning of the abbreviations. Which one would you use and why?

-Xeterog
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

if you list the ones you don't get i'll translate

nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

The prefixes + and - specify least of and most of. They are the equivalent of sorting ascending (+) and descending (-).

Nicholas.

Xeterog
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Xeterog »

I think I'm getting my mind wrapped around it (I still want the + and - to do the opposite of what they do).

is there a way to make your own ranking system to use?

ok, the one I have the most trouble with is:
-{10*[won] + 5*[draw] + TDs + CAS | TDs & CAS max 3 per match}, -td, +name

I get that the points are sorted from High to low, but how are they calculated.

10 points per win
5 points per draw
# of TD's
then CAS | TDs & CAS max 3 per match, which is where I'm not sure of it.

I think it is # of casualties, limited by TD's and CAS in some way

purely from experiements on our 2 game old league, it looks like it is the greater of TD's or CAS (max 3)...so you only get casualty points for more than 3 casualties if you also scored more then 3 TD's (and got the casualties).

-Xeterog
nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

Xeterog wrote:I think I'm getting my mind wrapped around it (I still want the + and - to do the opposite of what they do).

is there a way to make your own ranking system to use?

ok, the one I have the most trouble with is:
-{10*[won] + 5*[draw] + TDs + CAS | TDs & CAS max 3 per match}, -td, +name

I get that the points are sorted from High to low, but how are they calculated.

10 points per win
5 points per draw
# of TD's
then CAS | TDs & CAS max 3 per match, which is where I'm not sure of it.

I think it is # of casualties, limited by TD's and CAS in some way

purely from experiements on our 2 game old league, it looks like it is the greater of TD's or CAS (max 3)...so you only get casualty points for more than 3 casualties if you also scored more then 3 TD's (and got the casualties).
That specific ranking system which you talk about will be deleted soon. I added it officially because someone requested it, but it will be removed because it's far to league specific to be used by the ordinary league.

What it essentially means is that you get, like you said, one point for each TD and CAS made, but if you made, say, 4 TDs in a match, you'll only get 3 points for that (same goes for CAS), not 4.

Yes, it's possible to create your own ranking systems and points definitions in OBBLM. Please see the settings.php file.

Nicholas

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

mattyboync wrote:on the home page ... if i want the "casualties" box to be "MVP" and just sort based on SPP

how would i change that?
Been a while since the question was asked ...

However, i've implemented this as an additional box in my website. It's the box called "Starspieler-Punkte"). I can give you the code if you want.

I also did lots of other tiny changes to the webcode, mainly to improve the look of the page (which is of course a matter of taste).

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

Please post it at code.google.com/p/obblm - thanks.

Nicholas.

BigSexy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigSexy »

I was wondering if there were going to be any issues with the OBBLM with all the C&D nonsense going on. Checked the site for it and, the OBBLM stuff is gone. Did it get hit by GW legal? No rants please, I just want to know if the online managers are going to start dropping off the net.