OBBLM 0.8 is out! (BB manager)

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

The Gonk
Rookie
Rookie

Re: OBBLM 0.8 is out! (BB manager)

Post by The Gonk »

I don't know if this would be useful, but it might-- going by memory, here are most of the steps needed to install obblm on Ubuntu:

1. Create a user for OBBLM (sudo useradd obblm -d /home/obblm -m)
2. Unzip the obblm .zip file in /home/obblm (cd /home/obblm ; sudo unzip /path/to/obblm-file.zip ; if unzip is missing, try sudo apt-get install unzip)
3. Install apache2 and configure a website root directory to point to obblm's home directory (/home/obblm)
4. Change the owner for the images directory to www-data (chown -R www-data /home/obblm/images)
5. Install mysql (sudo apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client)
6. Configure obblmdb in mysql

6.1. mysql_setpermission -u root -p
6.2. Select 2 and create obblmdb according to configuration in settings.php
6.3. Select 6 and give user obblmdb full access to database obblmdb

7. Install php and necessary modules (sudo apt-get install php5-cli php5-gd libphp-jpgraph php5-mysql)
8. Restart apache2 (sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart)
9. Open a browser and go to http://WWW.YOUR.URL/install.php. Run the installation script via the browser.
10. Remove the install.php file (sudo mv /home/obblm/install.php /home/obblm/install.php-)

Watch your apache2 error file for more information about why things aren't working (/var/log/apache2/error.log)

Reason: ''
Oxynot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oxynot »

The Gonk, why the separate user and putting all the files in the user's main directory? I'm having trouble seeing the logic behind this :)

The Gonk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by The Gonk »

Oxynot wrote:The Gonk, why the separate user and putting all the files in the user's main directory? I'm having trouble seeing the logic behind this :)
Just keeps things clean, everything related to the software can go there and I don't have to worry about accidentally stepping on it! It's not a requirement, just how I did it.

Technically, I didn't put all the files in the main directory-- /home/obblm/obblm is a symlink to the actual location of /home/obblm/obblm-0.8. Also, I used a database obblmdb08. When 0.9 comes out, I can copy the database and test before actually touching the production files and database. But really what I wanted to detail the packages needed and the chown of the images directory. And that final restart of apache tripped me up a bit...I would have expected that to be part of the package installation if it was required.

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

If you set the images folder to be owned by www-data (or whatever apache runs as) you should ensure that there is a .htaccess file in that directory that is configured to only allow the serving of images.

Also you can look into making the owner of everything the www-data group and obblm user and set the permissions to 640 for files but 750 for directories as you need the execute privilege to traverse directories.

chown -R obblm:www-data /home/obblm
chown -R www-data:www-data /home/obblm/images
This command does permissions for everything
chmod - R 640 /home/obblm
This does it for for the directories. I only just googled this as I don't have access to the documentation I made at home for this.
find -type d /home/obblm -exec chmod 750 {} \;

Finally I think you want to jail www-data and obblm. The risk of obblm is ssh or ftp access and the risk of www-data is a security hole through apache2.

I just threw this together as I don't have the documentation that I previously made. Something could be off.

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
Divinus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Divinus »

I really need some help starting me off, I would love to make a site for a table top league im starting.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I'd advise get it working on your own machine first.

Find WAMP and download it.

Run these commands on MySQL

Code: Select all

SET GLOBAL log_bin_trust_function_creators = 1;
CREATE USER obblmdb;
set password for 'obblmdb'@'localhost' = PASSWORD ('obblmdb');
CREATE DATABASE obblmdb;
grant all on obblmdb.* to 'obblmdb'@'localhost'; 
grant create routine on obblmdb.* to 'obblmdb'@'localhost';
Download the code. Setup an apache alias to the directory you put it in then go to localhost/<alias>/install.php

Then it should all work. Once you've got that done then you can basically repeat that with the hosting you use.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Divinus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Divinus »

I have no idea what im doing im just going to resort to using pen and paper for now.

I have downloaded what you said and when i try open the program it says

Aestan Tray has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

I give up for now.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Aestan Tray is another program you've got running. Not sure what it is or does.

Have you installed WAMP? If so a red W should appear in the icons in the bottom right. Left click on that and do start all services.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Divinus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Divinus »

DoubleSkulls wrote:Aestan Tray is another program you've got running. Not sure what it is or does.

Have you installed WAMP? If so a red W should appear in the icons in the bottom right. Left click on that and do start all services.
Yes i installed it but i uninstalled it as i kept on getting that error.

nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

Try contacting funnyfingers (William) at stuntyleeg.com - it's a OBBLM portal, where your league can get OBBLM hosting space.
It works quite well!

Nicholas.

Divinus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Divinus »

Yes i have talked to him, I dont want to use the stunty leeg web site as you dont get to have your own banner.

Keith-Lemon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Keith-Lemon »

Can you get this set up for free or do you have to pay for some thing?

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

I am working on a site to allow a commissioner full access to all the source and the database which will allow full customization. It will also allow the use of a subdomain to my domain or your own domain name. As I have been having to constantly upgrade the hosting plan that I use, I will be asking $5 a year for it. This may be ready for some people to try out in about a week or 2.

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
Keith-Lemon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Keith-Lemon »

Thanks let me know soon as your good to go.

cerebus13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cerebus13 »

I've been hosting OBBLM v0.9 on http://www.000webhost.com/ for a month or two now without any real issue beyond some MySQL timeouts. About 2 weeks ago however they upgraded all of their server hardware and migrated from MySQL 5.0 to 5.1. When doing this they did not run (or did it wrong) mysql_upgrade to properly migrate stuff over and I see the following error frequently now and can't really run the site anymore:

"Column count of mysql.proc is wrong. Expected 20, found 16. Created with MySQL 50091, now running 50157."

This issue was reported to the OBBLM bug tracker (http://code.google.com/p/obblm/issues/detail?id=529) and closed as being hosting related. I've had a ticket open for over a week now without any useful response so was wondering if anyone knew of any other good free hosting that offers the MySQL functions/procedures required to run OBBLM? Preferably one who knows how to run upgrades correctly :roll:.