help for the village idiot...

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

valedictor
Veteran
Veteran

help for the village idiot...

Post by valedictor »

Ok, i admit i'm a total incompetent when it comes to computers... writing posts on here is pretty much my limit...been trying to figure out the whole pbem thing for quite some time now but am still floundering hopelessly despite reading the (rather aptly named in my case) pbem for idiots posts, all sorts of other 'helpful' guides and getting hopelessly lost amongst all the different programs and leagues that are on offer.

If anyone can give me some pointers, i would be entirely grateful. What i really need to know is:

What is the most popular software in use?
Where do i download it?
What is a good league for a pbem newbie?

And also, some other random probs i have encountered while trying to figure it all out...

The skijunkie program..how does it differ from pbem exactly? Do i need this as well or is this something entirely different? Where can i download?

On the FUMBBL site, it mentions that the chat area is a good place to meet opponents, but i can't for the life of me seem to get it working.. Noticed some other people had had probs as well in the forum on there, but the solutions included all manner of technical gobbledygook that means nothing to me...Anyone know what might be the problem?

In the readme file for BB java server client (is this the pbem tool, or the skijunkie program??? - i can't even remember what i downloaded now!)
it says that i need JRE 1.3. I went to the site to download this, but when i got there had no idea what i was looking for...couldn't see this software listed specifically, although lots of others that sounded very similar..can anyone tell me what heading it comes under?

Yes indeed, now you see the extent of my uselessness.. :-? If someone could even give me quick one-line answers to these questions, it would help me no end,and get me playing a damn sight quicker than if i carry on trying to figure it out myself...

Cheers guys,

John 'The Luddite' 8)

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: help for the village idiot...

Post by GalakStarscraper »

valedictor wrote:What is the most popular software in use?
SkiJunkie's Java Client ..... AND .... the PBeM tool
Please note these are two seperate things.
Where do i download it?
SkiJunkie: http://www.geocities.com/javabowl
PBeM: Beta version is at: http://www.pbembb.com/beta.htm with the image files at http://www.pbembb.com
What is a good league for a pbem newbie?
Ski: FUMBBL
PBeM: Any LRB only league with an opening (RABBL, REBBL, and MBBL are all LRB only)
The skijunkie program..how does it differ from pbem exactly? Do i need this as well or is this something entirely different? Where can i download?
Ski's program and PBeM are too very different creatures.
Ski's program is meant to be used ONLINE.
The PBeM program is meant to be played via e-mail
Both programs can be used by one person or by two people at the same computer.

Galak

valedictor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by valedictor »

Thank you :)

Ok, have firstly tried to get the skijunkie program up and running. I have downloaded version 4.0, and my stoneage computer is currently halfway through downloading JRE... only 1 more hour to go... :)

2 more questions:

I take it i need to download the proxy server as well?

The patches: do i only need the most current one on offer, or do i need all of them after 4.0? (i.e: does 4.4 patch incorporate all the others?)

More anguished queries to follow undoubtedly....

John

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

I take it i need to download the proxy server as well?
Nope :)
The patches: do i only need the most current one on offer, or do i need all of them after 4.0? (i.e: does 4.4 patch incorporate all the others?)
4.4 will include all previous patches.

valedictor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by valedictor »

Thanks, next question... :)

It tells me to unzip to the root installation directory...where is that exactly? After unzipping the main program, i see all the various components (setups, teams, pics, etc) is the root directory one of these, or am i looking in the wrong place?

I never had these kinda problems with my trusty ol' ZX81.... :)

John

Dinaturz
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Dinaturz »

valedictor wrote:Thanks, next question... :)

It tells me to unzip to the root installation directory...where is that exactly?
The root directory is the folder where you unzipped the file (i.e: "C://JBowl" or "E://Games/JBBowl")
After unzipping the main program, i see all the various components (setups, teams, pics, etc) is the root directory one of these, or am i looking in the wrong place?
Starting from my prior statement, all these folders should have a path like this:
"C://JBowl/pics/" or "E://Games/JBBowl/teams/"

Please note that in order to let the Java VM start the application, you have to select a folder name without blanks.

I.e.: Consider these two folders: "C://JBowl/" and "C://Blood Bowl/".
Clicking on the file "Bloodbowl", the first path will allow the Java Virtual Machine to run the game, the second one don't.
I never had these kinda problems with my trusty ol' ZX81.... :)
Yes, the old good times when all I needed to use my ZX Spectrum was to turn the switch on... :smoking:

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Figured that while there was an 'idiot's guide' going on, I'd give the java client a go. Just downloading JRE now.

Spectrum? I spit on your bleep bleep doorstep. All us class kids had C64s!! :P

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
valedictor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by valedictor »

Gahh...one problem after another...

I can't seem to get the whole screen to display when i start the game. I noticed in the readme that this can happen, but having checked the resize window box, it still doesnt cure it. Anyone know what else i could try?

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Do you know what screen resolution you are running at? You should be running at 1024x768.

You can check and change the screen resolution by right clicking on your desktop, choosing properties, clicking on the Settings tab that appears and changing the screen area.

valedictor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by valedictor »

aha...that's cured it :) nice one

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Now have fun! :D

(and if only there was a handicap table....)

SkiJunkie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by SkiJunkie »

Anyone having problems installing either Java or this game should go to this link and use one of the great professional Java Bbowl install programs created by a guy named Markie. These programs only run on windows but they handle everything for you. So if you are having trouble with the zip files, or can't get Java installed, or just can't get the game to launch GO GET ONE OF THESE EXCELLENT installs. There is one that includes Java and one that does not. The install even installs the proxy for you. http://www.markiesoft.com/Markie/Markie ... wlgame.htm

This install looks just like a professional install of any CDROM game you can buy at a store. I recommend it for anyone having problems with my sorta techy install directions in the readme.txt file.

Once the game is installed and you can run it your desktop resolution must be 1024x768 or higher to see the whole game. :o My res is 1280 x 1024 so 1024x768 seems seems pretty small to me. :) When I started making the game I never thought I get this far with it so I didn't give much thought to what other people use. Now its kinda stuck there.

Anyway, let me know if you still can't get it working.

P.S. The proxy is NOT a necessity. It was made to help connect 2 people whose computers are behind firewalls. (i.e. Probably 2 people at work that want to play. :lol: Naughty people.) So unless you have firewall problems you probably don't need to mess with the proxy.

--SkiJunkie
valedictor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by valedictor »

Thanks for the tips!

May i also add what an outstanding job you've done with the programming; both my girlfriend and i have thoroughly enjoyed our first game. Many thanks for making all your hard work available.

Reckon i will familiarise myself with the controls for a day or two before i go searching for online opponents. When i do try to link up with someone, it would be very helpful if someone would be kind enough to briefly explain the following terms which are (unsuprisingly!) unfamiliar to me:

net server
net client
host
port
proxy (i take it this is what you are referring to in the last post?? if so, then that is explanation enough, cheers).

Thanks! John 8)