Help scheduling matches for OBBLM

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

The Gonk
Rookie
Rookie

Help scheduling matches for OBBLM

Post by The Gonk »

So, I've got OBBLM out of the box and installed, created teams, ran a little test tournament, recorded results-- looks very promising!

However, I'm a little stumped at how to record normal "development" play. The only reference I've found is here-- much like Lahatiel, I'd like most of our play to be self-scheduled with the ability for coaches to join or drop out at any time.

It sounds like the current solution is to make every user a League Commissioner, and they schedule their own game inside a Free For All tournament. However, it seems to require an even number of teams to create a new FFA tournament, so I really don't know what I'm doing. I could use a little help here.

Is there the ability to transfer teams between leagues? Maybe have one league for development where everybody is a Commish, and another more formal/restricted one for real tournaments?

Thanks!

Reason: ''
The Gonk
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help scheduling matches for OBBLM

Post by The Gonk »

The Gonk wrote:It sounds like the current solution is to make every user a League Commissioner, and they schedule their own game inside a Free For All tournament. However, it seems to require an even number of teams to create a new FFA tournament, so I really don't know what I'm doing. I could use a little help here.
Ah, I think I got it. I thought by "adding" teams, I was including their participation into the tournament. I now realize it's just scheduling. I can schedule multiple games however I want by simply adding the two teams to be scheduled and "creating."

Pagan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Pagan »

Yeah a FFA tournament doesn't need to have a team 'assigned' to it to play matches, they'll get added when you create a match for them.

Teams are tied to leagues and can't play between them if I recall. Try doing what you're looking for at the Division level.

Scheduling is not great in .8 for the reasons you mentioned. If you're willing to try it out grab the newest build using the svn abilities. Though be aware it is a daily build so you may run into issues. (haven't had one since the Rotter apocalypse was solved)

The Gonk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by The Gonk »

Pagan wrote:Scheduling is not great in .8 for the reasons you mentioned. If you're willing to try it out grab the newest build using the svn abilities. Though be aware it is a daily build so you may run into issues. (haven't had one since the Rotter apocalypse was solved)
I poked around at it, but the learning curve is steep and I figured I better stick to 0.8 for now.

FWIW, it does appear easy enough to move teams between Leagues and Divisions-- but only by manually editing the SQL database itself (the f_did and f_lid fields).

nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

The Gonk wrote:
Pagan wrote:Scheduling is not great in .8 for the reasons you mentioned. If you're willing to try it out grab the newest build using the svn abilities. Though be aware it is a daily build so you may run into issues. (haven't had one since the Rotter apocalypse was solved)
I poked around at it, but the learning curve is steep and I figured I better stick to 0.8 for now.

FWIW, it does appear easy enough to move teams between Leagues and Divisions-- but only by manually editing the SQL database itself (the f_did and f_lid fields).
Teams should always be tied to the same league. That's why you don't see an option for changing that. Don't edit the MySQL table directly like that, you will interfere with the game data integrity.

Instead use the divisions as separators and and remove division ties for the league (allowing teams to play across divisions in the league).

Nicholas.