Odd Calculator

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Odd Calculator

Post by Elyoukey »

Hello,
i guess it is the place to post this, i developped a online tool that is able to calculate quite every sequence.
You know what i talk about: the ending sequence when your opponent dodges 5+, two dice against your ball carrier, pickup in 3 zone, pick-up gfi gfi with no reroll on turn 16

the aim of the tool is to get the probability for this to happen:
http://elyoukey2.phpnet.org/sac/

i know there is an android application that do quite the same calculation, but i think i entered a bit more features in mine like the loner skill and the capacity to integrate several players in the action (player 1 : pick up, gfi, gfi, pass, player 2: catch dodge gfi gfi)
except it is not designed to get used on a portable device, but i will probably work on this sooner or later.

Reason: ''
Pug
Legend
Legend

Re: Odd Calculator

Post by Pug »

Now that's just awesome...may just go through any HFH results and see what % Shenanigans the boys managed to pull off!!
:D

"In Dodge We Trust"
Alu-Cinator
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Alu-Cinator »

It is a very useful application.

Thank you very much to share.

:wink:

Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

I totally agree.

It would be nice to be able to delete in a sequence. So you don't have to redo the whole procedure if you want change one action.

Nice work!

Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Magictobe »

Great application.

Now I am pushing it for a futile detail but you can add an action with 2d that has to be met like escaping a tentacles guy. You have a roll for a one die action that has to be met but you can add one for a two dice action that has to be met.

The same for a D8. The ball had to be scattered in that square to be able to make the TD or not.

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

Afroman wrote:I totally agree.

It would be nice to be able to delete in a sequence. So you don't have to redo the whole procedure if you want change one action.
Done now, you just have to click on an action to remove it.

Concerning Magictobe remarks, i will think about the 2 dice and the scatter, but it will be hard to go lot more farther, since depending on the bounce, the skills involved may not be the same :
if you have a catcher in the bounce 7 and a lineman in the bounce 6 the probabilities will split in a way that will be hard to handle.

thanks for the comments, and feel free to tell if there are any problems or other enhancements needed.

Tourach
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tourach »

super nice.
I use it to calculate the odds when people doing something increadable, so i can whine extra! again thx!

I DO want some cheese with my whine.
A.k.a MissSweden
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

WTF?!? You're threatening my native advantage! I spent years perfecting the art of factoring on the fly, and here you have some "app" that does the same thing (a little slower). Cease and desist immediately! :D

Good stuff! I'll have to let my coaches know about this. It'll really help some of the newbies: having the odds down makes the key spatial skills much easier to learn. I'm always shocked at how many functional adults can't multiply fractions.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

If you're considering updating it, you might want to replace the "odds with TRR" calc with a section on failure modes, like what you do next in the sequence if you get a push vs. a pow, say if that entails an extra dodge or a dodge at extra difficulties, or makes the next action a secondary block, or causes you to forgo the following die roll. Or if you'd TRR the dodge but not the handoff, for instance.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

mattgslater wrote:If you're considering updating it, you might want to replace the "odds with TRR" calc with a section on failure modes, like what you do next in the sequence if you get a push vs. a pow, say if that entails an extra dodge or a dodge at extra difficulties, or makes the next action a secondary block, or causes you to forgo the following die roll. Or if you'd TRR the dodge but not the handoff, for instance.
i already thought about this, but i think such an interface has a limited scope and conditionnal behavior with 'What if that happens' is not in the scope. The interface to handle this would be to complicated to set up and would not be easy to use.

Magictobe

Post by Magictobe »

Indeed, you have to keep thing simple and in one string of possibilities.

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

For speed? I can see that. But if my opponent started tinkering with an odds calculator on his turn, it would annoy me. I figured this tool is best for between games, when you're figuring out where you went wrong or planning a neat trick to use on the next guy.

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

mattgslater wrote:For speed? I can see that. But if my opponent started tinkering with an odds calculator on his turn, it would annoy me. I figured this tool is best for between games, when you're figuring out where you went wrong or planning a neat trick to use on the next guy.
i completelly do agree with you, i never spoke about 'speed', but 'ease of use'.
the aim is not to make people using it on a tabletop tournament, because it would slow to much the game. But as you said, using it between games to fix some issues.

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Then what about an advanced TRR function, so the coach can decide? I mean, trying to keep things simple for hobby gamers is kind of like designing a FormulaOne car for superior handling at low speeds.

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

Hi to all,
i will up this topic because i just added the Pro calculation and also the interception odd.

Those two features has not been very well tested so if you spot any error please let me know so i can fix.

Any feedback is welcome.

(also the domain has changed but old links still work)
http://www.elyoukey.com/sac/