OBBLM - Masters League creation / Start of New Season

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

OBBLM - Masters League creation / Start of New Season

Post by Shteve0 »

Hey guys

We're just coming to the close of our first league season with the OBBLM software.

(a) The next season will be a new set of teams. No carry overs are allowed. Should I create this league as a new division in the existing league, or as a new league entirely? Grateful for assistance.

(b) The teams that finish the existing league (and all other leagues in future) will need to be migrated to a new league specifically for developed teams called the "Masters League". This environment will be a perpetual, open format league that allows players to pick up teams they've coached in prior years and develop them further if they so wish. Should I create this as a new league or a new division? Is there a way that I can retain the teams in their current league (so as to keep historical league data) while entering them in to a new competition?

Does that make sense? Very grateful for ideas on how to pull this off :)

Cheers!

Steve

Reason: ''
League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Re: OBBLM - Masters League creation / Start of New Season

Post by nicholasmr »

First, this section of the manual may help to understand the structure: http://nicholasmr.dk/obblmwiki/index.ph ... e_in_OBBLM

Thus, since teams are entirely seperated between leagues, creating a new league is not an option given your requirements.
Also, you should note that teams and their stats cannot be "transferred/migrated" anywhere.
Currently your teams have entered match results into a given tournament (within a division, within a league). Thus, if you *could* MOVE the team to another league, for example, then all the team stats would dissapear from the league the team originally played in - causing the old standings tables etc. to be inconsistent. Do not try to attempt this, it'll wreck the data consistency in the database.

Now to your questions:
If you want old teams to be able to continue playing, then it must be in the SAME league. Therefore I'd create a new division for these old teams and simply schedule tournaments within that division for those teams.
Now, for the next season (question a) you can do either. I wouldn't suggest one of the other. However, note this: If you create new tournaments representing each season WITHIN the same division, then *all* the tournament match data will be joined together in the standings table of that division! You can, of course, view the individual tournament data (or in this sense the season data) from the tournament standings.
On the other hand, if you have many tournaments per season, it might be less cluttered if you create a new division for each season..

Note that for the above to work, you cannot use division ties (see the manual for explaination).
Also, before you do this, make a backup of your database, just to be safe if you want to play around with this. Maybe you could test both ways to see which fits you the best - it's harmless if you have a DB copy to overwrite with!

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Excellent, thanks Nicholas. I had read the page you linked to, but not fully got to grips with it. That's great.

Cheers

S

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Okay, cool, basics are in place; we have the Summer 2513 division, with the Summer 2513 and Summer 2513 Playoffs tournaments within it. Both are closed for scheduling. No problems there.

We also have a Wellington Masters Division with WMD - Season 1 tournament just about to start. I've had to turn off Division Ties within the league envelope to get this to work, but it looks good. At the same time registration is open for the Winter 2513 Division and tournament, so new teams are getting entered into that.

Minor grumbles: Coaches get the option to create a team in any division. I can't see that there is a limitation on coaches scheduling Winter 2513 teams into WMD games, either.

So, big question: is there a way I can specify which tournaments a team can be created in, and which division an existing team is currently qualified for? Because I want the teams to basically move from one division to the next on a season by season basis, and run two tournaments concurrently at all times, it would be easier for me if I could specify that certain teams are in one division and others are in the other for scheduling. Division ties don't work, since teams have an origin division that differs from their new division.

Or will it? What happens if I schedule teams from division A into tournament matches in division B and then turn on division ties? Do they remain in both divisions, or just one?

Is there another workaround?

nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

Shteve0 wrote:Okay, cool, basics are in place; we have the Summer 2513 division, with the Summer 2513 and Summer 2513 Playoffs tournaments within it. Both are closed for scheduling. No problems there.

We also have a Wellington Masters Division with WMD - Season 1 tournament just about to start. I've had to turn off Division Ties within the league envelope to get this to work, but it looks good. At the same time registration is open for the Winter 2513 Division and tournament, so new teams are getting entered into that.

Minor grumbles: Coaches get the option to create a team in any division. I can't see that there is a limitation on coaches scheduling Winter 2513 teams into WMD games, either.

So, big question: is there a way I can specify which tournaments a team can be created in, and which division an existing team is currently qualified for? Because I want the teams to basically move from one division to the next on a season by season basis, and run two tournaments concurrently at all times, it would be easier for me if I could specify that certain teams are in one division and others are in the other for scheduling. Division ties don't work, since teams have an origin division that differs from their new division.

Or will it? What happens if I schedule teams from division A into tournament matches in division B and then turn on division ties? Do they remain in both divisions, or just one?

Is there another workaround?
Sorry I haven't had the time to respond. I am awfully busy at the moment. I think my best suggestion is to make a DB backup and try different combos and test things out. The restrictions you see (and from the manual) are really just it. There are only division ties, and no way to exclude certain tournaments or division (if no division ties are set). I hope you can make the best of it anyway. If you have any specific suggestions please direct them to code.google.com/p/obblm :-)