Latest news on OBBLM hosting

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

http://www.mercuryvps.com

Finally ready to launch the new OBBLM hosting service. This installs the latest version of OBBLM, actually beyond the v 0.95 download found on the project site. Be sure to go to the OBBLM tab and do the order from there. For each OBBLM basic or plus package, $5 per year will be donated to Nicholas Rathmann for his efforts in maintaining OBBLM as well as to give him some incentive to keep this project going and to add new great features.

Some rhetorical questions for me to answer on your behalf :?:

Do you really have 99.9% uptime?
*Actually 99.9% uptime is low. I have been offering virtual machines for the past 2 years. In 2 years, I have had 1 hour of downtime in order to move physical locations as dictated by the datacenter (99.99%). The setup of the web hosting server is even more robust. The storage is on an external high availability storage network, I can switch physical servers without the loss of any ping, the network itself is Amazon's.

I see a lot of other hosting companies offering unlimited resources. Why don't you?
*I am offering resources that I don't expect you to go over and there is no throttling. Because of the robustness of the network and storage, I pay quite a premium per GB of each. If I were to allow unlimited bandwidth, someone could easily use these resources to allow downloads that would use up 2000 GB in a single day.

What if the server does crash?
*If the physical server that this is on crashes, the data is unaffected and a new server can be brought up in minutes. If enough of the storage device crashes, I can restore from the duplicated data in minutes.

What will happen with the old OBBLM hosting?
*Eventually I will require that the owners migrate to this new hosting. I have no time frame on this.

You can check out http://latest.obblm.com for the latest installation of OBBLM. I've added some coaches so you can login and test it out. These are coach1, coach2, coach3, etc up to coach10 with the password matching the username. When a new site is created, everything is ready. All I've done is login and create a new league, division, and the 10 coaches.

Any other questions or concerns?

Reason: ''
Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I'm using this service already for our league site (http://wbbl.nzbbn.com) and totally recommend it. Setting up your obblm site is the easiest it's ever been.

One thing, funnyfingers - do you want to mention domains and email?

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Latest news on OBBLM hosting

Post by funnyfingers »

Please say whatever comes to mind regarding the service. What did you have in mind regarding the email and domains? I guess one nice feature to let people know is that you do not have to pay for a domain name to use this. For the lite version, you can use a subdomain of obblm.com such as latest.obblm.com. With the basic and plus, you also have the option of using your own domain names. You can see the break down at www.mercuryvps.com on the OBBLM tab.

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
Aronne320
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aronne320 »

we've voted today to buy the new hosting :)

Me and my league mates where thinking about making a donation, but paying for the host will do the same, you really deserved some payment :)

We are just deciding wich level of hosting we want for our league and have a few question:

1) will the data and name of the site be changed in any way?
our site is at the moment http://www.lebb.obblm.com/index.php?section=main and host a lot of stats and images/custom settings/hall of fame entryes etc etc. Will they be moved to new host?

2) will we be able to customize the obblm client with logos, images and so like we're doing now?

3) will we lose any of the plugins present in obblm rc3?

http://www.mercuryvps.com/knowledgebase ... ticle&id=1

i've just come accross this link and i think this is responding to my answers.
So the entire site gets ported with this procedure right?

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

You would get the lebb.obblm.com. I have always preferred not to put that www in front, but that is fine as well.

The images thing didn't occur to me. You can move those images over though. I can do it for you. It involves copying all the player images from the images directory. Probably a lot easier for me to do since I can tar the whole folder and un tar it onto the new server.

You might just want to keep a copy of your settings files and compare between the 2. The old site still exists, so if anything is missed, I can always retrieve it.

Aronne320
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aronne320 »

great, we'll make our fund raising on tuesday, during our second day of "The grinder", hope to make the order wednsday morning (CET) we'll go for the 25 bucks option.

Just to be clear again, i follow exactly the procedure written on the faq and then move the pictures folder (or you move them), i make a backup of the old files just in case. Right?

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

Don't forget your settings. This will have your rules, welcome message, etc.

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

We just are wrapping up our first league season, and I've just started to look at website options.

Just a couple questions.

Is there a minimum character requirement for the subdomain listings? We would be looking at 4 characters.

Is there the option to use the bank rule, and if so, can the bank amount be adjusted?

Thanks!

Aronne320
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aronne320 »

#1044 - Access denied for user 'lebbobbl'@'localhost' to database 'information_schema'

when i import the database i get this error message

this is the new site: http://www.lebb.obblm.com/

i have a backup and the exported databse on my hard disk

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

The minimum is 3 characters. Everything is fully configurable. It isn't even limited to just OBBLM.
ChenZhen wrote:We just are wrapping up our first league season, and I've just started to look at website options.

Just a couple questions.

Is there a minimum character requirement for the subdomain listings? We would be looking at 4 characters.

Is there the option to use the bank rule, and if so, can the bank amount be adjusted?

Thanks!

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

Aronne320 wrote:#1044 - Access denied for user 'lebbobbl'@'localhost' to database 'information_schema'

when i import the database i get this error message

this is the new site: http://www.lebb.obblm.com/

i have a backup and the exported databse on my hard disk
I sent you an email. Please reply and I can work with you. With your DB dump, you must remember not to dump the functions, procedures, etc. But we can take care of all of this over email.

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

I've added and tested domain registration and transfers. If you are interested in buying a domain name, let me know so I can work closely with you in case something goes wrong. I tested it out and it went smoothly.