OBBLM - moving teams between divisions

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

NickJMereel
Rookie
Rookie

Re: OBBLM - moving teams between divisions

Post by NickJMereel »

Right cool.

Fingers crossed Nicholas will let us know but failing that I think I can fudge it now :)

Reason: ''
nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

NickJMereel wrote:yeah I think that will work? So I can create a tournament in a new division which initially has no teams in it. Then any teams which play a match in this mew division are then automatically included in he division too? Right?
This is correct.
If you do not have division ties enabled then teams are not tied/associated with ANY division - only a league. This means that all teams can play in any tournament of any division.

Think of it this way: say your league has two divisions of teams, lets call them East and West. Then not enabling division ties would allow for the best teams of each division (determined by annual tournaments in East/West, for example) to play against each other in some play-offs by simply scheduling a play-offs tournament with these teams in a THIRD division (this division would only contain the annual play-offs turnaments).
If division ties are enabled, teams from these two divisions may never play each other and can be regarded as completely isolated.
Although this was the intention of the league/divisions/tournaments structure, you may use it as you wish. It is a very simple structure and the only thing you should be aware of are:

1) the existence of division ties
2) whenever a team is scheduled in a tournament of some division in some league, that team's stats will not only be present in the stats of the played tournament, but also in the parent division and parent league stats.

So basically, there is no such thing as "moving" teams from one division to another if division ties are not enabled.
If ties ARE enabled, moving a team would make sense. However, because the way OBBLM is written, this would seriously damage the division stats in the OLD division, not only of the team itself, but other teams too (which have been played against). Therefore, teams cannot be moved between divisions in this case.

I hope this helped...

NickJMereel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NickJMereel »

Awesome thankyou. I totally get it now.
Really appreciate you coming back on this

Cheers
Nick

nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by nicholasmr »

No problem, sorry for the long response time :-).