OBBLM - moving teams between divisions

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

NickJMereel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NickJMereel »

Hi and please accept my apology in advance if im missing something :)

I wish to run 4 divisions.
Each division will have different coach types (part timers, full timers etc) but if a "part time" coach gets into the hobby and wants to go full time I would like to be able to move his team to the full time division.

The long term idea is to have the divisions work as separators for teams and then some tournaments will use teams only from the same division but others will use teams from all divisions.

Is there any way to move a single team from division A to division B simply?

Thanks in advance - love this software :)

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: OBBLM - moving teams between divisions

Post by sann0638 »

My understanding is the Divisions are completely separate, and it's difficult to move teams between them. I would recommend having all teams in the same Division unless it is impossible for them to ever play.

You can then just make separate tournaments in the same division.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
NickJMereel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NickJMereel »

That makes sense. Just seems odd to have divisions but not use them. What are divisions then used for? I see quite a few threads where people discuss moving teams between divisions as if its easy which made me think I was missing out on something?

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I might be wrong :)

I first used OBBLM via stuntyleeg, which meant that i had to contact the central admin every time. If you're running your own OBBLM it might be easier.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
NickJMereel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NickJMereel »

Yeah im running my own but there is no admin tool to do this. I will probably try editing the team profile conference ID if I can find it????

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Leagues are separate containers; moving teams between divisions in the same league is absolutely fine.

Have you tried just scheduling them a game in the new division?

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
NickJMereel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NickJMereel »

No I haven't tried that yet but I don't know how to move teams between divisions? How do I actually move a team from Division A to Division B? Is this an admin tool or do I need to alter the website code?

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Not as far as I'm aware. You need to either schedule a tournament in the "new" division that the team can take part in, or you can schedule them a game in the division via your admin panel.

Note that a division's results will apply only in that division, though team effects (inj, cash, spps) will stay with the team regardless, so all of this advice presupposed you plan to leave existing results where they are! :)

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
NickJMereel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NickJMereel »

yeah I think that will work? So I can create a tournament in a new division which initially has no teams in it. Then any teams which play a match in this mew division are then automatically included in he division too? Right?

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Yes, that's how it works. Just make sure you don't have division ties active.

For example, we had a division (summer 2513). All teams within it play out a regular tournament (summer 2513) and then the same teams play another tournament (summer 2513 playoffs). To cap it off, all of those same teams have now been added to a new tournament (WMD season 1) in an entirely different division (wellington masters division). All within the base config :)

NickJMereel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NickJMereel »

Right I think I get it? So the division could be considered unrequired?

Maybe I create a division called 2013 to hold teams made this year, then another division called 2014 next year for new teams. This would just gibe me a basic separator to compare teams of a similar age. The rest of the stats will be tournament drive

I think that works?

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

I deleted my last post as I am doing some testing and see the Tournaments in Divisions. So when looking at statistics for a Division, I am guessing it must be based on the matches in the divisions and not the stats of the teams in the divisions.

This leads me to want to think of a different meaning of division in terms of how it relates to choosing a division when creating a team. Seems that if you have no division ties, showing a team in a division doesn't really do anything at all. If you want to move teams to different divisions a lot, the team should probably show a fake division.

Team Amazon
League: BBL
Division: NONE

Division A Tournament 1
Division: Division A

Division B Tournament 1
Division: Division B

After promotion to different divisions

Division A Tournament 2
Division: Division A

Division B Tournament 2
Division: Division B

But when you do stats for Divison B after all of this, you are looking at stats for Division B Tournament 1 and Division B Tournament 2. If you have 3 tournaments in one year and 3 in the next, you won't see stats for just that year.

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

NickJMereel wrote:Right I think I get it? So the division could be considered unrequired?

Maybe I create a division called 2013 to hold teams made this year, then another division called 2014 next year for new teams. This would just gibe me a basic separator to compare teams of a similar age. The rest of the stats will be tournament drive

I think that works?
If the stats will be tournament driven, where is the division movement that you were originally asking about? And no this wouldn't give you a separator at least how I understand what you want. The teams being in the division don't matter. The tournaments in a division matter. The Division stats would be based on the matches in the tournaments that are in that division. This is at least how I am understanding it.

Webhosting with the latest version of OBBLM installed: OBBLM Web Hosting (be sure to choose the OBBLM tab)
NickJMereel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NickJMereel »

Thanks. Ideally I would like to be able to promote or relegate teams between divisions at the end of a season. But if its simply easier to enter a team in a different tournament instead of changing division I guess that will work.

However the main thing is I don't actually know how to physically change the division a team is in? I haven't tried this yet.

What do you do in your leagues?

funnyfingers
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by funnyfingers »

Regarding the division label for each team, this is why I suggested to use some fake division there that no tournaments use. I hope Nicholas will respond here so I can see if I am even saying the right stuff. It seems it might be easy enough to add that division change if the league does not have division ties, since as I understand it the division labeled on a team really does nothing. Could be wrong.