google docs

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

google docs

Post by voyagers_uk »

anyone used google docs to edit, and share team sheets, scores etc?

Reason: ''
Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Re: google docs

Post by voyagers_uk »

Black2 is having a go, using the Zen Excel Spreadsheet (Digger's effort) as a base

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

no-one?

HairyPete77
Veteran
Veteran

Post by HairyPete77 »

I use GDocs for some non-BB stuff and have got some simple lists and forms on my blog done using GDocs.

Whenever I have tried to do something more substantial - which has included trying BB rosters - I've always found the formatting options to be too restrictive or cumbersome and the formulas not as easy to use as Excel. I always end up going back to what I know which is Excel.

There's no reason why it couldn't be used to share rosters or tournament/league scores etc.

I've not tried it for over a year but may give it another look myself to see if it has got easier.

HairyPete77
Veteran
Veteran

Post by HairyPete77 »

I took a quick look at this earlier and it looks as if there's been a pretty big upgrade on the Sheets app. I imported my tournament roster (based on Halfling Scribe) and only one function didn't convert. It's a pretty big one - the population of positions and skills based on race - but I think it can be resolved with a bit more research. I'll look again later.

BigSpud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigSpud »

99% is done, unfortunately Google sheets can't do dependent drop downs. You use this to get the list of allowed players from the selected race. I have a script that should work, I'm just debugging it...

Food blog at BigSpud
Toffer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Toffer »

I use Google docs a lot in work. not sure how easy it would be for BB stuff. think of it as a collaborative Microsoft office with less editing tools

HairyPete77
Veteran
Veteran

Post by HairyPete77 »

Black2 that was exactly my problem...but I've got it working now. PM me if you want what I've done.

I don't know how to publish what I've done etc but I'm sure we can get over that.

In theory, given that my original Excel was based on the Halfling Scribe Tournament spreadsheet, the whole of the original could be transferred to GDocs by someone. The dropdown list bit is the only issue that needs a little coding to do.

Pete

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I'd be interested in seeing it.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
BigSpud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigSpud »

Pete has kindly shared his work with me. It's moved it on leaps and bounds. Great stuff!

I need to incorporate a little more calculation into the player value, then I think we're there. Definitely finished by the weekend.

Food blog at BigSpud