OBBLM - Division ties

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

OBBLM - Division ties

Post by Vanguard »

Does anyone know how the 'Division Ties' are implemented and what the effect of turning it on and off is?

As I understand it, if Division Ties are turned on, teams in different Divisions cannot play each other. When you create a team if Ties are on, you need to choose a Division, otherwise you just choose a League. However, Ties can be turned on and off (whether they should be, I'm not sure)

I am guessing, although I've not looked yet, that teams must be tied to a Division in the database, but this could be manually altered. Would there be any negative effects from having Ties enabled and manually moving teams between Divisions?

The background to this is that we want to run two divisions - a scheduled league and an open league. Teams can move from the scheduled league to the open league but not the other way around. Would manually moving divisions allow this?

Reason: ''
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

A common structure in obblm is for the league container to cover all seasons and competitions at a club; a division container per format and/or per season; and a tournament container per regular season or playoff components.

In this structure a commish might want to disable division ties in order to allow teams to move either from one season to the next or from one format to another. When a coach goes to schedule a game in this scenario with *any* team, they will be presented with a drop down list of all tournaments for which the commish has enabled user scheduling and has not subsequently locked down.

So in your case, yes and no... It will allow teams to participate in another division, but you'd also need to utilise the "allow coaches to schedule own matches" functionality to restrict how many other tournaments are available to each team.

Note that without division ties, teams are simply not locked in to a division - so they don't really 'move' to another one at all, they are sort of in all of them at the same time. The same is automatically true for tournament containers and cant be achieved with league containers.

Does that help?

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
nicholasmr
Experienced
Experienced

Re: OBBLM - Division ties

Post by nicholasmr »

Nicely put, Shteve0.

Vanguard, is the online documentation not clear enough?