OBBLM - Teething & Strange Browser Behaviour.

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

TheWookieWookstar
Rookie
Rookie

OBBLM - Teething & Strange Browser Behaviour.

Post by TheWookieWookstar »

Hi guys,

I've been pulling whats left of my hair out over setting up OBBLM for the Leicester Blood Bowl League.

My issues are:

After activating a request for a new coach to sign up, they cant see the league in the drop down menu when creating a team, UNLESS I as the admin go into the system and manually change their access level to 'Regular Coach' which I thought was the default?

I (and other coaches) have been using Chrome and have had mixed results. Any changes I made to the site, like replacing the banner did not show up. In Safari it did? They I stopped AdBlock on the page and that then showed me the updated image in the banner. So maybe thats just an AdBlock thing? However, I also made other changes to the site AFTER removing AdBlock and still have them not work.

I also have this issue, and I'm not sure what it is. See enclosed picture.

Does anyone know what or why it says EMPTY for the Division? Is this going to be a problem?

Any help with this would be MUCH appreciated!

Reason: ''
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Hi

The first problem is a new one on me (if it's a problem at all). I'll give it some thought in the morning, just about to get some sleep here now. How is it you have more than one league set up?

The second one is likely a cache issue with the browser. If your friend clears their cache they should be fine. Would you mind linking to your install please so I can take a look?

The third issue looks like you're yet to create a division within your league container.

OBBLM is built as a portal software which can handle multiple independent leagues. Because of this teams are completely separated from each other between leagues and teams in different leagues can therefore never compete against each other. Most commissioners will therefore (almost) always would want to create only one league which all teams are associated to.

Divisions are contained within leagues and serve as another "layer" between leagues and tournaments. Divisions have the special property that teams may be tied to them. If division ties are enabled for a league, then the divisions in the league behave like leagues in the sense that teams from different divisions (although in the same league) cannot play each other. When division ties are enabled for a league it applies to all the divisions of that league. Most users of OBBLM do not need to enable division ties for their league(s), but may choose to do so if they do not intend for teams to move between leagues now or in the future.

Tournaments are assigned to divisions and act as containers for matches. There exist two tournament types: Round Robin and Free For All (FFA) tournaments. They are both explained in the "Scheduling matches" section.

Note that in order to create matches you must - because of this structure - first create a league, in which you then create a division, in which you can schedule a tournament with matches.

Hope that makes sense. Ive been working on a .doc commish obblm guide adapted from the wiki, I can share the draft with you if you pm me your email address.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
TheWookieWookstar
Rookie
Rookie

Re: OBBLM - Teething & Strange Browser Behaviour.

Thanks for that, I have PM'd you.

Hopefully I will get my head around it all and have it setup so its all good to go!

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Sent. Don't forget to link to your site! :)

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
TheWookieWookstar
Rookie
Rookie

http://www.leicesterbbleague.com/

Now it seems to be switching between /Settings_1.php and /Settings_5.php. 5 Being the correct one, I know this because sometime on the home page it says:

Leicester Blood Bowl League (TEST1)

and sometimes it's:

Leicester Blood Bowl League (TEST5)

I set them up this way so I could once and for all see which is working, the problem is it seems to be flipping between them. I keep clearing my cache etc, but it still happening.

Can you guys go look and let me know which version you lot see?

Cheers
Duncan

ZerosGiven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZerosGiven »

This also happens, no idea why its switching in and out like this! :( So in one browser it finds the Settings_.php but on the other it does not find them!?

Two screenshots, one from Chrome and the other from Safari, taken seconds apart.

Cleared Cache etc!

And

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

When I try, I'm only seeing the second screenshot - TEST1, with no error message.

Looking at your screenshots, in the first one you are logged in under a user account. You can tell, as you have the Logout option rather than Login.
Check your user profile under Admin -> User Management and put your username into the Display Coach Access Levels textbox
My guess is that your account is still setup with access to a league that you have deleted. Remove the access to it, and it should fix the problem.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Also, try resyncing the database from the obblm admin menu. You never know.

I'm not sure what's happening here, to be honest. It may be that your settings is set up so that logged in people are redirected to a league that doesn't exist, as vanguard says.

Are you hosting, or using mercuryvps?

ZerosGiven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZerosGiven »

Hi Vanguard.

I'm the only admin of the site. When I did what you said, it showed only one League and that was:

Leicester Blood Bowl League Local commisioner

The previous League would have called the same name, do you think there is a chance that deep in the 'system' (for want of a better word) it's still confusing that new name with the old name?

Any help is appreciated, cheers!

ZerosGiven
Rookie
Rookie

Re:

Post by ZerosGiven »

Shteve0 wrote:Also, try resyncing the database from the obblm admin menu. You never know.

I'm not sure what's happening here, to be honest. It may be that your settings is set up so that logged in people are redirected to a league that doesn't exist, as vanguard says.

Are you hosting, or using mercuryvps?
mercuryvps

ZerosGiven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZerosGiven »

Will any of these destroy either the Coaches Logins, Teams they have made or anything else of real importance?

I just want to be sure I don't un-do all this work I have done so far!

Cheers

ZerosGiven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZerosGiven »

I also can't delete these boxes, no matter what I try!

ZerosGiven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZerosGiven »

So I created a new admin and give that account the same levels as I have, logged in with it in the same browsers I mentioned earlier and that seems to work, I now see (TEST1)

So that seems to fix that problem, HOWEVER!

TEST1 points to /Settings_1.php. BUT the league ID is

I'm well and truly lost.

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

ZerosGiven wrote:Hi Vanguard.

I'm the only admin of the site. When I did what you said, it showed only one League and that was:

Leicester Blood Bowl League Local commisioner

The previous League would have called the same name, do you think there is a chance that deep in the 'system' (for want of a better word) it's still confusing that new name with the old name?

Any help is appreciated, cheers!
Yes, that's quite likely.
Easiest fix is to go into the League manager page and re-name your leagues so that they all have unique names. Then check which ones your account has access to.
I'd make sure your admin account always has access to all the leagues, to be honest.
Set yourself up a separate user account for general use and keep the admin account for actual admin requirements.
ZerosGiven wrote:I also can't delete these boxes, no matter what I try!

Yes, the delete function doesn't seem to work for some reason. If you really want rid of them, you can delete them from the database directly. I'm assuming that you have access to the database through phpAdmin or similar. (Usual caveats apply here - manually altering the database can be fatal to your install. If you're not comfy with that risk, please don't do it. :D )
The posts are store in the texts table, you should be able to identify it by date or the txt field. You can safely delete that row, and it will no longer show on your front page.

ZerosGiven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ZerosGiven »

Thanks.

I only have one League active. Thats the 'Leicester Blood Bowl League'

Silly question time. How will renaming this change anything? Is it not still looking at the /settings_X.php, not the name of the league?

In the /Settings_X.php file, the intro is like this:-

<?php

/*************************
* Local settings for league with ID = 1
*************************/

Should that ID = 1 be named as per the name of the document? I.E. 1 or 5 etc.

Where i'm currently working the firewall won't let me get into the FTP, so I have to check this later to be 100% whats pointing at what.

Do you know if 'Synchronise database with game data files. — Run this when having changed the PHP game data files lib/game_data*.php.' will delete all the coaches and team etc?

Cheers
Duncan