Conference vs. Division vs. Tournament in OBBLM

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Guy in Suit
Rookie
Rookie

Conference vs. Division vs. Tournament in OBBLM

Post by Guy in Suit »

I'm on the Dev site, but I can't for the life of me figure out what 'Conferences' are are how they are supposed to work and they aren't mentioned in the wiki.

I am trying to set up divisions for rookie teams that can then graduate to the major leagues. (Commissioners able to move teams about, players cannot play teams outside their divisions.) Should I be using conferences instead?

Reason: ''
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Basically:

league is your entire container. Everything you do will take place in your league - NYCBBL.

Division is a block that encapsulates the various interrelated phases of your season. So 2015 championships, say.

Tournaments are the various phases of your season, so you can have a regular season tournament that plays round robin and scores on points, and a post season playoff tournament that doesn't affect the regular season playoffs.

Conferences are optional tables within a regular season, so you can play North American style conferences (ie all play each other in the same season and points count towards conference tables).

Admins can't (and shouldn't need to) move teams around, it doesn't quite work that way. I'm pretty sure you just want to use divisions and tournaments.

Renaming all the containers to make it more intuitive is very much on the radar, as is a wiki update. As ever, volunteers for the tasks are actively encouraged to step forward!

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Check this out. http://wbbl.nzbbn.com/

Each division is made up of regular seasons and playoffs.

When teams complete a normal season, we allow them to join the Masters Division. There's no hard and fast controls though, other than that I only allow coach scheduling in the regular season tournament that's active at any given time (all other times I "lock" them) and the WMD commish schedules all masters games himself.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co