OBBLM bandwidth?

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Talarius
Experienced
Experienced

OBBLM bandwidth?

Post by Talarius »

Hi again,

Our new league had our first games last night. Great fun was had and this morning I went to look at our obblm site, http://www.babbl.obblm.com and got a 509 Bandwidth Exceeded error. I splurged for the $5 a year account, which, if we've exceeded our bandwidth lasted a handful of weeks?

So, either I was silly to be a cheapo and should have paid more from the start, or something else is going on? I'm not a techie, so really not sure. If I need to upgrade, how do I do it?

[Edit: Also, one of the coaches in the league was saying there's a main OBBLM page with a drop-down menu of all the various leagues hosted, but ours isn't among them. I don't have the URL for this, but would love to be included!]

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: OBBLM bandwidth?

Post by Darkson »

Talarius wrote:[Edit: Also, one of the coaches in the league was saying there's a main OBBLM page with a drop-down menu of all the various leagues hosted, but ours isn't among them. I don't have the URL for this, but would love to be included!]
I think that's the NAF OBBLM page: http://thenaf.obblm.com/index.php?section=main

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

It depends on how much bandwidth your page allows per month. Most bandwidth is used by by search bots - maybe add a robots.txt file in your root folder to tell them to stop searching your site?

Talarius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Talarius »

howlinggriffon wrote:It depends on how much bandwidth your page allows per month. Most bandwidth is used by by search bots - maybe add a robots.txt file in your root folder to tell them to stop searching your site?
The website allows 100Mb per month. I don't know if this is plenty for a normal league or not nearly enough.

I have no idea how to follow your suggestion about a robots.txt file, although it sounds like a great idea. Can you elaborate? (I just looked at the log of visitors and I think you're right. Bots are sifting through the site; it's being repeatedly accessed in what doesn't seem to be real human behavior)

howlinggriffon

Post by howlinggriffon »

Essentially you just need to create a text file with a few lines of text in it - then save it in the main HTML folder on your site.

This site gives more details about the robots.txt files :

http://www.robotstxt.org/robotstxt.html

100mb bandwidth doesn't sound like a lot though - I'm using a hosting service which is £12 a year and gives me 5GB a month allowance.

Talarius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Talarius »

Awesome; done and done.

For $25 a year, I'll get 4GB a month. Not quite as good as the deal you got, but it ought to do the job just to host league data!

Thank you so much for the help! :)

Talarius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Talarius »

Hmm, the bots continue to sift through the website pages... (a possibility as explained at the link you gave me) Hopefully the upgraded bandwidth will more than compensate for the traffic.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

It certainly should! I run a national forum and three league sites off a single $25 account. You should have no trouble.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
howlinggriffon

Post by howlinggriffon »

Fingers crossed it works for you :)

Fejwe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fejwe »

I had the same issue, and after some investigation it turned out that bots were adding content to the Cemetery tab. Once we changed the access settings so you had to be signed in to post in Cemetery the bandwidth issue was resolved. Just in case that's helpful.

T

There's no such thing as Skaven.

http://motorcitybloodbowl.org/