OBBLM Migrating to a new host

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Primary_kilos
Rookie
Rookie

OBBLM Migrating to a new host

Post by Primary_kilos »

Looking for advise on how to, if possible, migrate OBBLM to a new web hosting service.

We have just completed our first season, which has tied in with the renewal of my web host. Prices for this have sky rocketed so I'm looking to move host, is it possible to move the database et al to a new provider so that we don't lose our first season data? is it as simple as downloading the current web files and SQL database and then uploading it to the new host?

T.I.A
P_Kilos

Reason: ''
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Re: OBBLM Migrating to a new host

Post by Vanguard »

Primary_kilos wrote:Is it as simple as downloading the current web files and SQL database and then uploading it to the new host?
Not quite, I'm afraid. You'll need a full backup of your database and your file structure whcih you'll need to transfer to the new hosting company. However, the new host will likely have their own database naming convention, so the database and user names will likely have to be different from your previous host. Once you have created the new database and user account on your new host, you will have to insert these details into the backup SQL file. It should be a case of doing a find and replace with a decent text editor (Notepad++ for example).
You can then run the SQL file on the new database, either via phpMyAdmin or a remote login with Workbench.
Your file dump from the original site can be put onto your new host, but you'll need to update the settings.php file with the new database details.
OBBLM will not work with PHP7, so make sure you set your site to use PHP5.X when configuring it.
It's been a while since I last did this, so likely overlooked something. Feel free to drop me a PM if you run into difficulties.

Primary_kilos
Rookie
Rookie

Re: OBBLM Migrating to a new host

Post by Primary_kilos »

Ok not quite as straight forward as I hoped but I think I already new that would be the case. Doesn't sound impossible just need some focused time.
Looking at migrating to MercuryVPS OBBLM account so the PHP should be the correct version I'm hoping.

Can I open the sql.gz in notepad to edit?

Thanks for the PM offer I may well take you up on that :D