Moving to NAF-hosted OBBLM

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

stareater
Rookie
Rookie

Moving to NAF-hosted OBBLM

Post by stareater »

Hello everyone!
We are currently running our own instance of OBBLM. We would like to cut down on the upkeep and we are considering to migrate our league to a NAF-hosted instance.

Is there a good or preferred way to export and import teams and match history? I know that there is a import team feature, but there seem to be no export functionality. Is the import xml supposed to be created from the database?

Has anyone done this kind of league move? Is the best way to move to make a db dump and import it?

Reason: ''
realmalteser
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Moving to NAF-hosted OBBLM

Post by realmalteser »

Can we have some feedback in this regard?
I would like to know what we're getting into if we host it ourselves and whether we can migrate the data easily?

Sincere regards,
realmalteser

dwarfrunner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dwarfrunner »

I tried to do this earlier this year. And from what I understood, they apparently can't migrate yet. So I had to stay with OBBLM. But I am no tech guy, so I may just mistunderstood

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Migrating all data from an own installation into the NAF-hosted OBBLM will not be possible. The reason for this is that object keys (Player ID, coach ID, match ID, etc.) will overlap massively as every installation independently starts counting up from 1 (not inculding the league ID in all table keys is bit of a flaw in the data design that was not intended for running multiple independent leagues in one installation)

What might be possible for an expert is to migrate the current state of teams, exporting them as XML and using the import function for experienced teams in OBBLM, but you'd lose all match history for these teams.

Migrating from own installation into a new fresh install (no existing data) is not an issue unless you have major version difference between source and target.

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup