PBeM or JavaBowl?

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

PBeM or Javabowl?

PBeM all the way!
6%
PBeM, but only 'cause I never played JavaBowl.
No votes
PBeM, I can't get JavaBowl to work.
6%
PBeM, 'cause I don't have time for anything else.
25%
JavaBowl all the way!
13%
JavaBowl, but only 'cause I never played PBeM.
9%
JavaBowl, I can't get PBeM to work.
9%
JavaBowl, 'cause I don't want to wait that long to play a game
13%
Don't really like either.
3%
I love 'em both!
16%

Total votes: 32

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Mestari wrote:BTW. Does anyone play with Avi Stetto's Blood Bowl IRC client anymore? As it doesn't impose any rules, that's the one you can play with most house rules. It played with it a few times in the last century, and it was definitely a good program too.
The OLBBL is one of the last leagues I know that still uses it ... of course the league just started a new season in April still using 3rd edition rules.

As for no rules allowing you to play with all house rules ... I wish you could see the settings windows for the PBeM tool. Its nice to have nothing automated to use your own rules ... but its a lot better when the program has no rules so you can use your own AND automates about 250 of the most popular ones ... :D

Galak

Reason: ''
BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

Mestari wrote:BTW. Does anyone play with Avi Stetto's Blood Bowl IRC client anymore? As it doesn't impose any rules, that's the one you can play with most house rules. It played with it a few times in the last century, and it was definitely a good program too.
I downloaded it once, but I never actually played it... I could never get it to run properlly, kept getting error's after making the first move.

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
SkiJunkie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by SkiJunkie »

firebreather wrote:No i cant get it to work either, cant get the picture to fit on the screen :oops:
You have to have your screen resolution set at 1024x768 or higher for it to fit on the screen.
martynq wrote:Am I the only one who can't get Javabowl to work? Perhaps I'm the only one trying to run it on Solaris UNIX?
Sadly I don't have a unix machine to try it out on, but I have thought I have heard of people running it on Solaris. There is a 1.4.02 version of the JRE out now. Well, at least a windows version. I haven't checked on other versions. So are you able to run other java applications? If not I can send you a simple one just for you to try out. I'm curious if the problem is java or is the problem my program. Also, if you email the error messages you are getting I'll take a look.
skijunkie "at" collegeclub.com

To the poll, I vote both. Although I never have the time to play mine, I don't have the patience to play through email. But I still like 'em both.

--SkiJunkie
Cool Hand Fluke
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cool Hand Fluke »

Voted PBeM cos i don't have time .....

I'm really p*ssing off my girlfriend by constantly logging on to see if the next turns arrived. Is this typical of PBeM's?

Darren Woodward
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

PBeM takes forever to play, and Javabowl isn't complete yet, so i voted neither. I would have voted BBirc, which allowed for every situation in the game, and didn't take long to play, but you didn't put that option in your poll.

tchatter
Super Star
Super Star

Post by tchatter »

I just want to post to say this...

PBEM doesn't HAVE to take forever to play.

If I play against a friend of mine that is in the same timezone, we can ALMOST finish a game during a lunch hour (ok 2). Almost as quick as face to face.

In my challenge league I have played a team in Australia, on a weekend, we were able to get through the first half before one of us needed to go to bed...

It all depends on the coaches, in the challenge league I get completed games back either A) 2 days after I send it out. B) 4-5 weeks later or C) anywhere in between. Some teams have only played 1 game in the last month and a half, others have played about 8.

You COULD play PBEM almost as fast as Java if you wanted to, since you can also send the file back and forth over IM. You COULD also use a program such as Exceed, VNC, or the sharing built into XP... and play that way...

Just my .02

FUMBBL Coach name: tchatter
Ex-Commish of REBBL
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

why not just use javabowl if your going to do that :p

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Grumbledook wrote:why not just use javabowl if your going to do that :p
Because like I said before .... JavaBowl doesn't support the hundreds of house rules that the PBeM tool does (and the handicap table is programmed into the PBeM tool as well as the old card tables). If you have the time and want to play basically straight LRB 2.0 rules ... Ski's program is incredible and most assuredly the program to use.

However, if you want to start using house rules (which I don't know if tchatter was), then the type of Speed PBeM he describes would be the way to go. On example I can think of easily is the Kicking rules from the 2003 Annual which are fully programmed into the program. Progressive GFI is another. Or something new and simple like a league that allowed Stiff Arm, Perfect Spiral, and Juggernaut as allowed skills. If I wanted to play with any of these options, speed PBeM would be the working choice.

Galak

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

house rules are for sissys though ;]

BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

Zombie wrote:PBeM takes forever to play, and Javabowl isn't complete yet, so i voted neither. I would have voted BBirc, which allowed for every situation in the game, and didn't take long to play, but you didn't put that option in your poll.
I didn't add it to the poll for two reasons... I was just interested in JavaBowl and PBeM, as they are the two that get talked about here most, and because I didn't have enough space for more options. :)

Chris

At times like these I am reminded of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "... I drank what?"
SkiJunkie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by SkiJunkie »

I was just interested in JavaBowl and PBeM, as they are the two that get talked about here most
You would probably get a more accurate poll if this poll were in the General message area. I get a lot of people who email me asking why there isn't a java bbowl specific message area on talk blood bowl since the PBEM tool has two devoted to it. Not that I'm trying to get a java bbowl forum created because i don't think it is necessary, but these emailers seem to think "Online/PBEM" is specific to Ronald and Tom's PBEM game. I honestly thought the same thing the first time they showed up before I went into them and looked around. The amount of chatter in the Java BBowl thread did drop significantly when it was moved from "General" into "Online/PBEM". Just wanted to let the poll creator know there are probably some Java Bbowl users that don't look at this particular forum because of the above misconception. Thus the results of your poll are might not be entirely accurate. Most of the chatter I see now a days happens on the fumbbl site. Well, and the france blood bowl league site but that is in french. :) [/quote]

--SkiJunkie
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

BlanchPrez wrote:
Zombie wrote:PBeM takes forever to play, and Javabowl isn't complete yet, so i voted neither. I would have voted BBirc, which allowed for every situation in the game, and didn't take long to play, but you didn't put that option in your poll.
I didn't add it to the poll for two reasons... I was just interested in JavaBowl and PBeM, as they are the two that get talked about here most, and because I didn't have enough space for more options. :)

Chris
You may not be interested, but others obviously are (appearently i'm not the only one who mentioned BBirc in this thread). And if you're going to have 4 options for each of the other 2 tools, you could at least have one for BBirc. Favoritism is the worst way to run a poll.

BlanchPrez
Legend
Legend

Post by BlanchPrez »

I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that other's are interested in BBirc, Zombie. However, there are only so many positions to a Poll, and I wanted this one to focus on JavaBowl and PBeM, as those are the two that get talked about the most (until this thread, I haven't seen any conversation on BBirc, but it could be because I'm not looking for them). Besides, I added the neither option for just this reason. "I don't like either, because I prefer BBirc," as well as "I don't like either, just because I don't like online BB," or whatever.

Maybe you could start another poll, that lists all the different online BB games.

Chris

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

SkiJunkie wrote:but these emailers seem to think "Online/PBEM" is specific to Ronald and Tom's PBEM game
Well that was never intended .... Ski ... I'm sending a note to JohnnyP tonight ... we'll get that fixed ... apologies.

Galak

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

I voted pbem cus i cant get java working. Currently i cant get the jre to install. Sorry but dont offer solutions, im done trying (5 seperate attempts over 3 different times since it came out).

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.