Editing Teams on a Mac for JavaBBowl

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Biff Smackwell
Veteran
Veteran

Editing Teams on a Mac for JavaBBowl

Post by Biff Smackwell »

I did a search for this but didn't find anything. If there's already a topic out there, just point me towards it.

I tried editing a team .html file in MS Word, but quickly found out that Word changes the file after saving it. It adds a lot of crap in the beginning of the file (and possibly elsewhere), making the file unreadable by JavaBBowl. None of the other programs I have have allowed me to successfuly edit the files, so if any other Mac users out there have edited a team file, could you let me know what program you used? Thanks.

Reason: ''
Three touchdowns in one game. I almost got the Al Bundy Trophy.

[url=http://oldscratch.smackwell.com]Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum[/url] HeroQuest, BloodBowl, profanity... what more do you need?
BadMrMojo
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by BadMrMojo »

Yay! Another refugee from the Wintel Zombies!

The best thing you can get for your mac no matter what you do is get BBEdit. If you (or a close friend) has an academic ID, you can get it reasonably cheap. It is quite simply the world's greatest text editor (as opposed to the world's most bloated Word processor). I use it for a whole lot more than I can put in a single post under Massachusetts law.

The older, free version is still available as well. Even better.

Lesson to you all? Never use Word, given a choice. :lol:

{edit: Barebones Software apparently dropped BBEdit Lite to make another free editor, Textwrangler. I haven't used it myself, but I'd try that first, for the extra features. It sounds like a similar, more updated and supported version of the same thing, with a different name.}

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

don't you have the goodness of notepad on macs?

BadMrMojo
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by BadMrMojo »

Well, yeah... Textedit... but trust me. Get yerself BBEdit Lite or (maybe?) Textwrangler. Way better.

Biff Smackwell
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Biff Smackwell »

Hmm. I saw TextWrangler the other day... didn't even think to pick it up. I'll give it a try.

I'm using OSX, and there's no SimpleText. TextEdit opens up the file, but shows the frames of the html and isn't editable. I'll let you know how TextWrangler goes.

Three touchdowns in one game. I almost got the Al Bundy Trophy.

[url=http://oldscratch.smackwell.com]Old Scratch's HeroQuest Forum[/url] HeroQuest, BloodBowl, profanity... what more do you need?
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

BBEdit mate, that's your best bet. Even if you just get the "lite" version.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]