Halfling Playbook

Contains old topics long since discussed. Now here purely for reading, not for posting to.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Robotorz wrote:Playing with flings is fun but if you plan on winning and this is crucial to your enjoyment of play then DONT. The ods are against you even after reading a playbook by Galak.
Yeah but if you can get a 50/50 win record with Flings in a league ... its fun bragging rights. But yeah, don't think this Playbook will give you a winning record with the little guys.

Updated the Playbook for additional thoughts.

Galak

Reason: ''
campaigner
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by campaigner »

Darkson wrote:
campaigner wrote:what would we do without Galak? :)

where can I read those new chef rules?

c
http://www.midgardbb.com/Experimental/E ... sters.html

Did you really need to ask? :wink:
I just wanted to give Galak the opportunity to promote his site a bit more.

ah, well, I guess I could have guessed... :wink:

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

One other major note on playing Flings ... don't be afraid to take risks ... in fact odds are you will not win without them ... this is not a team for a timid players.

Here is a before and after shot of a single turn from one of my recent games in the PBeMBBL league against a Norse team .... the Brown players are Norse without extra skills from their starting for all important purposes. The light purple are No skill Flings ... the deep purple are no skill Ogres. The really light purple player #16 has the football which is how the PBeM program shows ball possession.

Figure out what I had to do to have this turn (that a good brainteaser by itself) and you'll realize that part of playing Flings is realizing that you are already riding a long shot ... you might as well go all the way.

Galak

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Looks like you moved #3 in front of his #8, threw a 1 die block against his # 9 and managed to ko or injure him.

Then you had to make a go for it to do a long bomb thowing the halfing with the ball, and you managed to stick the landing?

Now here's the real question - did you try to block #2, or did you realize that if you got a pushback, that's the only way he'd get a hit on the ballcarrier?

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Skummy wrote:Looks like you moved #3 in front of his #8, threw a 1 die block against his # 9 and managed to ko or injure him.

Then you had to make a go for it to do a long bomb thowing the halfing with the ball, and you managed to stick the landing?

Now here's the real question - did you try to block #2, or did you realize that if you got a pushback, that's the only way he'd get a hit on the ballcarrier?
Perfect deduction Skummy. And all #81 did is stand up .. since I wanted to tie up his player #2 without pushing him closer.

BTW, #16 did manage to score the following turn after much shock from my opponent at the turn.

Anyway, the whole reason for showing this turn is to show what Flings can do if you take some risks. Without the TTM option, the odds that the Flings could have gotten out of that ST 3 with Block pile up where pretty slim. One of the things I never forget with pile up is that an Ogre can pitch out the Fling with the ball pretty easily, and then all there guys are still piled up while your lone guy streaks down the pitch. Like in this example.

Galak

Orin
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Orin »

Robotorz wrote:Playing with flings is fun but if you plan on winning and this is crucial to your enjoyment of play then DONT. The ods are against you even after reading a playbook by Galak.
probably not many people who need to win to have fun would consider halflings as a first choice. They wouldn't consider halfings at all. On the upside: people who do play Halfings probably play them for the fun of it.
They can't run, can pass, can't fight, but hey, are they cool or what? 8) [/i]

The truth of the BBRC 2004 finally hits home:
"What!? No more Dauntless Ogres!?"
campaigner
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by campaigner »

Orin wrote: They can't run, can pass, can't fight, but hey, are they cool or what? 8) [/i]
dat's da spirit, man! :smoking:

Switzerland is small and neutral.
We're more like Germany. Ambitious. And misunderstood.
- Prof. Farnsworth, Futurama
Bifi
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Bifi »

GalakStarscraper wrote:After your first game, hopefully you'll have 120k. If you do, buy an Apothecary and a Fling ... leaving 40k for more ingredients your next game. ...

Finally ... yes I advote starting TR 100 Halfling teams to freeboot Deeproot for their first game to help jump start the team. Its a nice way to pick up an extra 10k for the win ...
Dear Galak,

1. How can you get 120.000 gp after your first game?
2. And how does Deeproot earn you extra 10.000?

Thanks a lot for the playbook, it inspired me very much so I will start the halflings ASAP. Since I'm not especially lucky, and my teams have the nasty tendency to become unplayable after about 10 games (a lot of 1s on FF rolls...), I thought of picking something really funny, and as we already have one Goblin team around, and I have seen this guide...

Thanks again!

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Bifi wrote:Dear Galak,

1. How can you get 120.000 gp after your first game?
120k assumes 4 very important things:
1) Your first opponent will only have 2 rerolls so you'll only need to spend 20k to swipe all his rerolls leaving you with 40k in the bank.
2) You get a 61k to 80k gate for your match (30k bonus)
3) You win your first game (10k bonus)
4) You roll a 4 for cash.

That would be 40k+20k+10k+40k=120k

Now its not out of the question ... but that might not happen. If you don't get to 120k .. you should (unless bad luck is out to get you) have enough to buy the Apothecary and have 40k left over ... so do that ... (if you don't even have 90k .. then just buy the Apothecary anyway and rough it the next game without extra ingredients). Then use your next purchases to buy more Flings up to 16 always leaving 40k in the treasury after purchases at the end of each game.
2. And how does Deeproot earn you extra 10.000?
Since your opponent didn't have any rerolls and you had the LOS from hell (2 ST 6 and 1 ST 7) ... you won the game ... ie +10k to your gold roll.
Thanks a lot for the playbook, it inspired me very much so I will start the halflings ASAP. Since I'm not especially lucky, and my teams have the nasty tendency to become unplayable after about 10 games (a lot of 1s on FF rolls...), I thought of picking something really funny, and as we already have one Goblin team around, and I have seen this guide...

Thanks again!
Hope it helps. Diesel's Lizards are given my Flings a good fight right now ... its anyone's game at this point yet.

Galak

bubb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bubb »

Those were my Nordiques and you are right...I was shocked... :o

Looking at the way the field was set I thought I had any TTM attempt fairly well covered....

I have played Flings before in the REBBL Challenge League and Galak is right. Don't expect to win too much but it is really fun to play them and envision the look of shock on your opponents face when they open the game file

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

I forgot the most important part of the Halfling Playbook.

If the team loses its Ogres in October during the review and the BBRC decided to not move Take Root to an onpitch effect. Then my Playbook for Halflings will be ... don't play them.

After 2 years of playing Flings ... I'll be retiring my teams if this happens. Flings have no tactics with offpitch Take Root other than run away and hide until your Trees show up.

I'm a little sad ... by given us 120k Ogres for the last year, the BBRC allowed Halflings to become a legitimate low end team. Take away the Ogres and leave Take Root to on offpitch effect and the team is unplayable in my opinion after working with them non stop for 2+ years. Very much a pull the rug out from under the team effect to be sure.

So if everyone could do me a favor, email Fanatic or your favorite BBRC member and ask them to make one of the version of onpitch Take Root on the Hot List experimental. Otherwise, my strong advocation of giving Flings a try will become ... "sorry don't play them ... they don't have a chance and they have no legitimate tactics."

This also means that I only have about 3 months left to play Flings in the PBeMBBL, since that league is pure LRB. Onpitch Take Root would be made experimental first and I have zero desire to watch my Halfling team that I've been building up get destroyed from their first game against a Chaos Dwarf team when both Trees fail their Take Root roll ... (it only take one game with Flings to destroy them). So anyone wanting to play against my Fling team in the PBeMBBL .. the window is closing. When/If OnPitch Take Root becomes part of the game ... I'll bring the team back out. I have no desire to play with rules that I know don't work and trash my team that I've actually enjoyed playing.

Galak

Alesdair
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Alesdair »

*blinks as i look at the play shown above*

Hang on...

Did TTM get changed so you can do long bombs???
That's one good reason for me to try even harder to convince my league to adopt LRB instead of the Semi-DZ-semi-HouseRules way we've been playing...

Pass me another Elf, Captain. This one's split.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Alesdair wrote:*blinks as i look at the play shown above*

Hang on...

Did TTM get changed so you can do long bombs???
Nope that was a Long Pass by the Ogre and the Halfling ran his full 5 squares after landing and did one GFI to get to where you see him.

Galak

Alesdair
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Alesdair »

In that case why did you throw him so far across field that he couldn't make it to the end zone...

Or where you just eating up the clock so that the norse didn't have time to get a reply tuchdown...

Pass me another Elf, Captain. This one's split.
Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

GalakStarscraper wrote: So anyone wanting to play against my Fling team in the PBeMBBL .. the window is closing.
Galak
Having already done so and seen what can happen, I'm not sure I'd take up that offer again until someone comes up with an anti-halfling playbook!