Halfling Playbook

Contains old topics long since discussed. Now here purely for reading, not for posting to.

Moderator: TFF Mods

ScottyBoneman
Super Star
Super Star

Post by ScottyBoneman »

Darkson wrote:
GalakStarscraper wrote:Game 10 ... my TR 131 ... opponent TR 140 Goblins ... Won 2-1 ... Cas 2 for/2 against (Foul Play)
Bugger, I blame Blitz! and Ripper for that :pissed:
Ok, mostly strong coaches there.

Reason: ''
[size=75]The ocean doesn't want me today.[/size]
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

:pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

:wink: :lol:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
ScottyBoneman
Super Star
Super Star

Post by ScottyBoneman »

Darkson wrote::pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

:wink: :lol:
Heh, heh!

[size=75]The ocean doesn't want me today.[/size]
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

That was not an easy game against Darkson. He freebooted Ripper, had an Ogre and a Troll, and was using most of the items out of the Halfling Playbook in how he built his Goblin team. Playing against my own suggestions for Stunties was not a lot of fun ... :lol:

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Argh ... each game makes me miss the team more ... after defeating a Chaos opponent ... record stands at 7 wins - 6 losses with 2 more TDs scored than allowed and a 4 game win streak.

Galak

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Time to make the Gobbo Playbook then ;)

Let me start you though:

Don't freeboot Ripper (useless b*st*rd, grumble grumble, mutter, mutter).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Time to bump this thread based on the number of folks asking about Flings lately.

To add to the thread. I took Halflings to the Underworld Cup tournament. Ended up being the 2nd highest ranked USA player at the tournament.

Anyway ... not a bad tournament for the 'Flings ... maybe I have figured out how to play them ... here was the record:

Game 1: Undead ... 1-2 loss
Game 2: Skaven ... 1-2 loss
Game 3: Skaven ... 3-0 win
Game 4: Amazon ... 2-0 win
Game 5: Dwarf ... 1-2 loss

Two important notes ...
1) Notice I was never held scoreless and never beat by more than 1 TD. (even when playing against Dwarves)
2) Add it all up, the team scored 8 TDs while only allowing 6 TDs.

I realize that the Flings are about to lose the Ogres ... but with them this is a team that you can coach to victory.

Galak

Orin
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Orin »

I'm going to coach a new Halfling Team. Using the current LRB, I thought this was a nice line-up:

13 flings 390
2 Ogres 240
2 re-rolls 120
FF 9 90

This leaves 160k to Freeboot Deeproot and a Master Chef and leave 20k in the bank.

I'm not sure about the chef though. I like the new rules for the Chef better, but hey, every re-roll stolen from my opponent is worth something.

PS: As soon as the new rules apply, I'd probably swap my Ogres for Trees and convince my League commissionar to take on the on-pitch Take Root rule. That won't be difficult, since my league commisionar is me 8)

The truth of the BBRC 2004 finally hits home:
"What!? No more Dauntless Ogres!?"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

New rules apply now, and the on-pitch take Root isn't even experimental (yet!).

Orin
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Orin »

What?! The new rules have finally been released and no one told me?? After all the fuss here on TBB I'd have thought people'd be screaming at the top of their lungs. I'll just have a quick look around.

(Luckily, I'm still the league commissionar, so if I say on-pitch take root is fine, then we're using the on-pitch take root. Maybe I'll even buy a tree for my Woodelves as well)

The truth of the BBRC 2004 finally hits home:
"What!? No more Dauntless Ogres!?"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Heh, you've obviously not looked hard enough, there's 1 or threads about the new rules ;)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Last post on my Fling team.

Finished the PBeMBBL run ... After 16 games and often playing with a lesser TR, my Halflings have reached a 50% win rate in the PBeMBBL LRB only league. The team will be entering temporary retirement until on-pitch Take Root comes back.

PBeMBBL Halfling team: Iron Chefs
http://www.pbembbl.org/teamView.php?teamid=13

Overall record for 16 games:
8 wins - 8 losses
Held scoreless: twice
Lost by more than 1 TD: twice

Game 1 ... my TR 100 ... opponent TR 100 Dark Elf ... Won 2-1 ... Cas 0 for/1 against (Khain's Favorites)
Game 2 ... my TR 107 ... opponent TR 100 Wood Elf ... Lost 1-2 ... Cas 1 for/5 against (Fangorn Hammers)
Game 3 ... my TR 116 ... opponent TR 100 High Elf ... Lost 1-2 ... Cas 2 for/1 against (The Divine Prophets)
Game 4 ... my TR 119 ... opponent TR 100 Skaven ... Lost 0-3 ... Cas 0 for/7 against (Stench of Decay)
Game 5 ... my TR 116 ... opponent TR 113 Norse ... Won 2-1 ... Cas 2 for/7 against (Icewind Dale Nordiques)
Game 6 ... my TR 115 ... opponent TR 107 Dark Elf ... Lost 3-4 ... Cas 1 for/2 against (Khaine's Fury)
Game 7 ... my TR 115 ... opponent TR 117 High Elf ... Lost in OT 2-3 ... Cas 5 for/2 against (Vardo Malte Rina)
Game 8 ... my TR 125 ... opponent TR 119 Chaos ... Won 2-1 ... Cas 1 for/5 against (Benefinical Mutations)
Game 9 ... my TR 125 ... opponent TR 141 Lizardmen ... Lost in OT 1-2 ... Cas 1 for/3 against (Armour-Gekon)
Game 10 ... my TR 131 ... opponent TR 140 Goblins ... Won 2-1 ... Cas 2 for/2 against (Foul Play)
Game 11 ... my TR 129 ... opponent TR 157 Norse ... Won 2-0 ... Cas 7 for/2 against (Battle Creek Dragons)
Game 12 ... my TR 136 ... opponent TR 137 Chaos ... Won 2-1 ... Cas 3 for/3 against (Chaotic Mongers)
Game 13 ... my TR 139 ... opponent TR 144 Chaos ... Won 2-0 ... Cas 2 for/2 against (Miskatonic University Chess Club)
Game 14 ... my TR 149 ... opponent TR 140 Dark Elf ... Lost in OT 2-3 ... Cas 2 for/0 against (The Dark Saints)
Game 15 ... my TR 143 ... opponent TR 158 Skaven ... Lost 0-3 ... Cas 0 for/0 against (Ekrund Runners)
Game 16 ... my TR 131 ... opponent TR 131 Halfling ... Won 3-1 ... Cas 4 for/1 against (Nutters of the Underhill of Frogmorton)

The part I'm very happy with ... the last 50% of my games.
5 wins - 3 losses ... 14 TDs scored/11 TDs allowed
2 of the 3 losses were Overtime losses and the game against the Skaven I had 3 of my best players killed by a turn 2 first half Pitch Invasion (see the TR drop from game 15 to 16).
And the final stat I'm very proud of for my last 8 games ... 21 CAS inflicted!!! / 13 suffered. Yeah Flings break, but you can hurt them more than they hurt you played right.

Oh well ... now we wait for onPitch Take Root and see how much tougher it is to play Flings with Trees vs Ogres.

Galak

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Heh. A pair of shutouts and getting more casualties than a norse team! Pretty amusing stuff...

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

I'm pretty sure Game 7 went to overtime too, Galak. It's still one of my proudest moments... collected -1 AV, -1 MA and two NIs (the niggles from aging).

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

sorry to bump this ... but I keep having to find this thread for other forums.

Galak