The NAF Championship 2014 1st Prize

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

The NAF Championship 2014 1st Prize

Post by spubbbba »

I have once again been asked to paint up a team as 1st prize for the NAF GT. So after doing Khemri in 2012 and Norse/Dwarfs in 2013 I thought it was time for some pointy eared AG4 magic.

I had already done a High Elf team using the existing GW models, but wanted to make a unique team. When GW came out with some new high elf models I thought some of them had a lot of potential for Bloodbowl models and went a little crazy on e-bay purchasing bits for them. So I'm glad I'll be able to finally put them to good use as the new Dark elf range has been very tempting as well.

The Skycutter crew were the main reason I got so excited as they had dropped the silly big helms and long scalemail skirts for something a lot more suitable on the pitch. I also got the helms from the shadow warriors as i think they look great so may mix them in half the linos.

Blitzers will be made from Dragon Princes but using legs from the dark elf corsairs. A couple of them have scales and I may try sculpting some onto the top of their boots since they look a little light when for blitzers.

Throwers will be very much like the linemen but with phoenix guard heads. However I do have some phoenix guard torsos that could work as well but they have cloaks which normally I don't like on Bloodbowl models. it might be useful to differentiate them from the linos however.

Catchers use a mixture of the white lion chariot crew and foot troops, that model's right arm is from a dark elf but I think I will change that as it doesn't really fit. Some of them should be in dynamic catching poses too.

No team would be complete without star players so I have built Soaren Hightower as I've not done him yet and the new Phoenix riders were ideal for him. I had planned on doing Prince Moranion as well but the test model I made was a bit boring so I will see if I can come up with anything better and if I have the time.

For colour schemes I want to avoid the traditional blue, silver and white and have already done gold, red and white. I experimented with gold, blue and white or red, white and silver, these look ok but a little dull. So I may try something different like green or maybe not use white.

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
axiom
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: The NAF Championship 2014 1st Prize

Post by axiom »

Looking great - the short skirt are significantly better than the longer robes you usually see on HE conversions.

I think dark green, bone & gold would make a nice scheme.

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

Huzzah! My new kitbash project of 2014 was going to be High Elves, along similar(ish) lines.
But all I now have to do is win the NAFC. Much simpler!
Thanks for this!

(Oh, but I was kinda thinking red and black? Okay? Thanks..! )

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Thumbs up.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Much as I loathe Elves, I see these being a very attractive team.
Nice of Granny to give us usable bits at last...of course, if she'd ever grasped the consept that BB players would happily buy conversion kits if they put together packs of suitable sprues or whatever maybe they'd still be supportsing the game.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Look forward to seeing these at the NAF, that's as close as I'll get to them!

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Looking good!

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

Great job so far. This is just the high elf team that I wanted to put together, but was put off by the amount of kits need to source all the bits!

Justice for the Agribowla Three!!!
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

axiom wrote:Looking great - the short skirt are significantly better than the longer robes you usually see on HE conversions.

I think dark green, bone & gold would make a nice scheme.
Thanks, I really like the idea of green and either bone or a light green. Might need to mix in some silver and/or gold to avoid them looking too much like wood elves.

Here is a pic of 2 spare dark elf models with my original ideas for test schemes. But I'm going to paint over the red, white and blue bits with those colours you suggested to see how that looks.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
axiom

Post by axiom »

I guess I had the mid-1990s Dragon Princes in mind. As it turns out, they also had red and white on the colour scheme too:

http://collector-info.com/Manufacturer/ ... ]%2001.jpg

;-)

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

axiom wrote:I guess I had the mid-1990s Dragon Princes in mind. As it turns out, they also had red and white on the colour scheme too:

http://collector-info.com/Manufacturer/ ... ]%2001.jpg

;-)
Hmm, I am a little wary of GW’s infamous “red” period, those models are a bit garish, though better than the dull blue paint scheme on the current dragon princes. Plus I already did an elf team in red, white and gold. Red, gold and green may work as a Caladoer themed team if I tone it down a bit and will try red, green and silver too.

In the meantime I have repainted those 2 models in green and bone.

Tritex
Legend
Legend

Post by Tritex »

Looking good, be great to see what they are like when finished. :)

Blood Bowl .. Live to play and play to live! Check out now:

www.tritex-games.co.uk
www.tritex-games.co.uk
Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

How about making the bone coloured cloth a mustardy yellow colour. That would make it a bit less bland and stop the chainmail from standing out so when u look at it.....yellow will go great with the green too :)

Either way...impressed with ur patience in holding off on the painting!

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

High elves? Hardly worth winning now...

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Team is fully built now and I've started undercoating them.

So it's time to decide on a colour scheme. I may end up being weak and just giving them gold scalemail, silver armour with white and blue clothes and dark brown boots/gloves. Not very exciting but none of my test schemes have really inspired me so far.