Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Community Discussion » Tournament Postings » The NAF Championship

What should I focus on after the full team of 16?
Star Players - Glart, Fezglitch and Hakflem 76%  76%  [ 19 ]
Display base 20%  20%  [ 5 ]
Markers, coins and footballs 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 25

Post subject: Re: NAF Championship 2017 Prize team
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:39 pm 
Legend
Legend

4 more skaven are done, bringing it up to a team of 15, just the rat ogre to go and the main team will be complete. The poll has a strong favouring of the star players so I’ll work on them next. The good thing being that they are already built and undercoated and I can do them 1 at a time, stopping if time runs out. There is still 2 months to go, so I’m hopeful I’ll be able to consider working on the display base too and maybe even the markers.

This lineman uses the torso from a WHFB stormvermin as I only had parts for 6 linemen and wanted 7. His legs from a standard blood bowl model whilst the shoulder pads were made of greenstuff. His arms and head were taken from other linemen too.

The legs of this lineman were also from a WHFB stormvermin with his torso and arms being taken from the standard models. I had to carve a gap in his skirt to make room for a blood bowl sized skaven tail since the stormvermin came with normal sized tails.

I wanted a blitzer who could be team captain instead of the thrower if desired. For him I kept the blitzer torso but swapped in legs from a lineman and repositioned his left arm. He head is from a WHFB stormvermin champion and he uses the tail from a deathrunner.

I had already used parts of a deathrunner for the thrower but this time took another to make the last gutter. I gave him a head from a WHFB clanrat with the knife arm from the standard gutter with a hand from a stormvermin. I also swapped his tail with the thrower.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:17 pm 
Legend
Legend

I had meant to start work on the rat ogre next, but he was still being converted so I decided to focus on one of the stars.

Glart is a simple conversion using the Warlord Queek model commonly used to represent this star. I wanted him to have some originality so filled in the gap where his back banner would be, chopped down the display base and swapped his hands for clawed weapons from the plastic gutter runners. I liked the idea that his claws were weapons as opposed to a mutation.

For painting I decided to keep him in team colours, the model was already suitably impressive being in a dynamic pose. I gave him black fur as that is associated with elite skaven and added more white edging decoration than you’d find on the normal players.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 pm 
Legend
Legend

The Rat Ogre is finished now, meaning the normal team of 16 is pretty much done aside from their bases and numbering.

The Island of Blood rat ogre is commonly used as a blood bowl player, no wonder as he’s a great looking model. I didn’t want my version to just use the standard model, so did add a few extra parts; the face mask from a Storm Fiend, shoulder pad from an Ork Flash Git and knee pad from another blood bowl model. With the normal skaven getting enormous tails I had to use a suitably impressive one from the Dark Eldar Clawed Fiend to make his really stand out as prehensile. Having seen the forgeworld rat ogre I am glad I didn’t wait as I really am not a fan of him.

Painting was done in a similar way to the rest of the team. I started with a darker base coat for his skin as I wanted him to be a little more weathered and tough looking. I also went with a different fur colour, starting with dark brown and adding grey for highlights. The fur was sculpted strangely being large flat patches with the occasionally tuft. So I ended up painting on some more tufts of fur in place of this.

His armour took 2 attempts as the washes went wrong on the first and it ended up looking a bit too dirty, even for skaven.

It is just over a month until the tournament, which means I having to choose how best to prioritise the remaining time. I have started work on Fezglitch, meaning he will get done on time, but I would also like to make a display base.
I’ve already bought some of the bits but it is important that this matches the bases of the players, so I need to hurry up and decide the final look. I’m deciding between making it a sewer with underground flagstones, bare earth with small amounts of plants or astrogranite, possibly adding chunks of warpstone. Some of these will take a lot more work than others and that will be a factor.

I may have to drop Hakflem sadly. Looking at the 3rd edition model I had planned on using he does not fit in with the rest of the team and don’t have time to convert my own. I suspect GW will release a new model for him at some stage and hopefully he’ll look as good as the plastic skaven. I’d probably use the same colour scheme and possibly do the Headsplitter conversion I’ve been working on at the same time.

I could churn out the markers and footballs pretty quickly and may do those once the bases, numbering and display base have been completed.

Board index » Community Discussion » Tournament Postings » The NAF Championship