The NAF Venue

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

DukeTyrion
Rookie
Rookie

The NAF Venue

Post by DukeTyrion »

I do not play many table top tournaments, so apologies in advance if anyone thinks I am not best placed to make comment, but I read in the NAF 2017 tournament thread (which I am thinking about going to) a mini debate about the Nottingham Venue versus Warhammer World, versus other locations.

Much in the way that a seminar on history 2 buildings over from the natural history museum may get people thinking 'why not there', I think the NAF may be falling into a similar trap, rather than thinking of moving the venue to other areas. Much like the England World Cup qualifiers while Wembley was unavailable, moving the venue may allow others that don't get to travel much to come along to the big annual event.

So, could the NAF possibly consider different venues for 2018, 2019 and beyond. I know it's extra work, but the benefits of including new players in the big event may be worthwhile, such as Birmingham for 2018 and Manchester for 2019 or such.

Anyway, sorry if I am not best placed to make such suggestions, but after reading the other thread, I thought it deserved some discussion.

Thanks

DukeT (Peter)

Reason: ''
Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Re: The NAF Venue

Post by Garrick »

Peter,

1) I believe this is the largest Blood Bowl tournament in Europe outside of the annual international tournaments (Eurobowl / World Cup) and the logistics are phenomenal with a highly motivated and critical set of attendees.
2) Blood Bowl coaches come from all over Europe to attend this prestigious tournament including around a dozen from Scotland each year.

So if you are going to mess around with the venue to accommodate new players it doesn't appear to make much sense to move it from one middle England venue to another middle England venue and then a third middle England venue.

Now if you were suggesting Edinburgh for 2018, Paris for 2019 and Berlin for 2020 ...

The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Hi,

When we first had to find a venue other the Warhammer World, continuity was an important factor, and staying in Nottingham was an easy way to link the event with its spiritual predecessor 'The Blood Bowl'. It was also very convenient, as the NAF treasurer Geggster lives there and so the man holding the purse strings could involve himself directly in the search. We looked at other venues in other places, but the geographically central location is extremely important to drawing the largest possible crowd. No matter how great the venue, a NAFC in London or Scotland would probably draw a smaller crowd. With the way the UK scene has developed in the last few years, I think it is even more important than before to keep the event in the midlands. There seems to be a lack of tournaments in this part of the country, and so keeping the NAFC around is very valuable.

To answer your points more directly, I really don't see any huge benefit in moving the event to another midlands location. Especially not given the extraordinary amount of work it would be to find and negotiate with a new corporate venue (as the size of the event would demand). It happens in all walks of life of course, but the amount of people who have opinions about the NAF who are nowhere to be seen when it comes to doing the hard graft is very large indeed. :wink: So a large factor at play in any discussion will be the preferences of those actually doing the work. As such, if Hawca and team want to stay in Nottingham I am fully behind them, knowing only too well what is involved behind the scenes.

Cheers
Joe

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
DukeTyrion
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DukeTyrion »

My only request was that it be discussed and considered, so if the people doing the organisation have talked about it and find Nottingham to be the most convenient, then so be it.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Birminghams ok but more in the South, Nottingham is a little more central for anyone traveling from the North. (For the benefit of anyone not clued up on geography :lol: )

Apart from what's already been said the regular NAFC venue is good. The hotel is amazing and from what I remember about Warhammer World, as much as it's the centre of Games Workshop and a fabulous place to visit it's on the edge of an industrial estate and has no adjoining hotel.
I do prefer the lay out of Warhammer World though for obvious reasons with its gaming themed tables and decor bar is nice and on-site shop etc. The NAFC venue is always been a bit dark and gloomy for me, but maybe that's a good thing as the last thing you need on the Sunday morning is bright lights glaring off all the boards.
But it's the bit in between games which is really good. The nice rooms great breakfast and awesome shower. Plus it's literally a 2 minute stroll from the gaming table to your room/bar.

It's almost as good as the Dungeonbowl venue ;)

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Yeah and of course if we go back to Warhammer World then they will insist that we only use their figures, which to my mind would be a backward step.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Boneless
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Boneless »

As a few have mentioned the logistics behind this organisation is massive, it starts on the Weekend following one NAFC and continues for the next 51 weeks in the year, (I gave myself 5 days off last year from it ;p)

we are in constant talks about venues, gifts, tables you play on, food, costings etc. its like no other organisation of an event ive ever known. the Welsh open at 50 - 60 people is simple compared to it :)

We currently have a very good deal with where we are at a massively discounted price (Remember its a conference centre)

but the big question is simple, and answered above i think. is if we was to move where too? thats closely followed by how much is it.

I could bring the NAFC to Cardiff and most likely make it cheaper but this would I believe impact on numbers.

UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

I absolutely acknowledge that using the same venue eases the job significantly. I also realize that consistency is a good thing.

That said: I think it is a cool idea, though, moving it around. Glasgow, London, Paris, Cardiff; you name it!

Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

hawca wrote:As a few have mentioned the logistics behind this organisation is massive, it starts on the Weekend following one NAFC and continues for the next 51 weeks in the year, (I gave myself 5 days off last year from it ;p)

we are in constant talks about venues, gifts, tables you play on, food, costings etc. its like no other organisation of an event ive ever known. the Welsh open at 50 - 60 people is simple compared to it :)

We currently have a very good deal with where we are at a massively discounted price (Remember its a conference centre)

but the big question is simple, and answered above i think. is if we was to move where too? thats closely followed by how much is it.

I could bring the NAFC to Cardiff and most likely make it cheaper but this would I believe impact on numbers.
Massive respect for what you guys do and the awesome event it consistently is every year. Must remember to buy you a beer this year to say thank you!

The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.

landrover
Legend
Legend
Location: Reffing at a tourney near you. Bribery preferences start with sweets....

Post by landrover »

Heff wrote:Yeah and of course if we go back to Warhammer World then they will insist that we only use their figures, which to my mind would be a backward step.
I don't see this as a negative point for your argument.
Surely the lack of Lego Dwarves would be a plus in your book??!?

Squad Chaos captain.
Thrudball co-organiser.