Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Calculating ranks of coaches during a tournament

Post by Babs »

Hi!

Bevan is developing an excellent program for Blood Bowl tournament organisation.

It not only ranks players for the next round by the swiss system, it also factors in things such as which types of teams they've played against already, which coaches they play often, how many agility or strength teams they've played so far and so on.

It works really well (having used it at CanCon and MOAB and I'm now using it to organise my local league).

What we're trying to figure out is how people organise the rank of players during a tournament.

In Oz, most tournaments work by the 7 point system (7 points are handed out per game)
1 per coach
3 to the winner (2 each if drawn)
1 to the winner if they won by more than 1 TD, otherwise this goes to the loser if there is only one TD difference
1 to the casualty count winner (1/2 each if this is tied)

We don't include sportsmanship or painting results in this rank.
Some tournaments do though. I'm wondering how this is done. Which formulas do people use?

Put another way, we're working on sportsmanship and painting, and are interested in how people are calculating ranks during a tournament that _include_ those in the calculation (rather than being completely seperate). Any ideas?

Reason: ''
=-) Babs (crotchety old, washed up has-been)
ex-BBRC member
ex-NAF AUS/NZ Tournament organiser

Make sure you have read the Feudball Novel.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Often painting & sports are only factored into the final positions (IMO this breaks the Swiss contract but it doesn't make a huge difference).

Depending on the weight you want to place on it you either use them as the 1st tie-break (as opposed to TDs or something) or count them as up to one games worth of points (i.e. score up to 7).

Some tournaments score them every round (like PK&Qs did), others just as a one off score.

There are get systems like the BB where coaches vote for their best opponent - and then the number of "best opponents" converts into tournament points.

Sometimes painting is scored by opponents, sometimes by the organisers.

AFAIK pretty much every tournament has a different system.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
thiophene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thiophene »

i tried to do the same kind of programm but with a poor excel sheet :lol:

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Yeah. They are very difficult to do. Tim has produced a very good spreadsheet for handling tournaments. I've written a java application (working, but unfinished). There is Bevan's program too.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

And Javatol's (Delphi programmed) ... that looks quite convincing as well.

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup