Chaos Cup 2005

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Ombi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ombi »

Frank's Dark Elves and Dean's Skaven played for the Championship if I recall it correctly. Sorry, don't know their TBB names. :) Dark Elves won it all.

Goblins won the award for least TD's given up, and my Chaos Dwarfs won the most TD's scored award. :o Of course, no one can win more than one award. :) I think I came in behind the the tourney's 1st and 2nd place teams for the TD award. Phil and his Tower of Nuffle won best Sportman. He played Amazons. I don't recall who won the other awards. I think Valen won the best overall award (painting, sportsman, and record combined), but I could be wrong on that.

As for my team's experience at the tourney:

I played 2 Khemri teams in my first 2 games. Ouch! I managed to win the first one, although I got beat up pretty bad. My Chaos Dwarfs are used to getting hammered into the ground though. :-? It was scoreless at the half, but I got some pretty good rolls in the second half to escape with a 2-0 victory. Casualties were 2-1 his favor, and I was down on guys for most of the game.

I almost come back in the other Khemri game. I was down 2-0 at halftime thanks to some scary dice rolling for me. My Hobgoblin tried to catch up to the blockers near the sidelines at midfield. Rolled a 1 for a GFI, then rerolled it and got another 1. The ball went out of bounds, the fans threw it in about 10 squares backwards right in front of one of his skeletons, who happily picked it up and ran it in for the TD. :lol: I scored 1 TD in the second half, but couldn't pull off the miracle play to tie it. A well played game on his part.

Next game was against Phil's Amazons. He had a very cool Tower that we dropped the dice from the top of it and it came out of the bottom. An impressive custom made field too. I guess my Chaos Dwarfs were a little too much in awe of their surroundings, since the Amazons clearly outplayed them and beat the Big Hats up the whole game. I lost 2-1 and actually won the casualty battle 2-1, but suffered enough KO's to only have 4 or 5 players on the field at the end of the game. :o :evil:

The next day I played against a Chaos team. Early on, we were both trying to out do each other for rolling the most 1's and skulls, but I started to roll better as the game went on. His luck gave him nothing to work with. I won 3-0 and he won the casualties 3-1. I really hate to see a game with that sort of horrible luck on one side. I've been there myself plenty of times.

Last game was against John's Dark Elves. My opponent was great to play and chat with, despite ending most of his turns with a roll of a 1 to dodge or GFI. This was the only game that I actually had the player advantage, KO'ing many of his players each drive. Casualties tied at 1-1. He had a couple of drives that could've been TDs, but his 1's kept on coming up. I won 3-1, but it should've been much closer.

So a 3-2 record with my Chaos Dwarfs. After 6 tourney appearances and always either breaking even or with a slight winning record, I think it's time to take a break with them. It's good to see them go out on a good note.

I had a great time and plan to make my third trip to the Chaos Cup next year. A big thanks to Galak for doing a lot of the tourney work, and the guys at the Battle Bunker for hosting it.

Jim

Reason: ''
lowsman2
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lowsman2 »

Nazgit wrote:... so come on - what happened? Didn't this finish more than 24 hours ago? And we've heard nothing from anyone who attended? :o Wait a gorram-minute ... this is the Chaos Cup! :P They've all been dragged into the Realm of Chaos, and will return to us in the form of a matching set of porceline ducks. :wink:
Does that mean Valen has been turned into a beautiful swan? :lol:

hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

lowsman2 wrote:
Nazgit wrote:... so come on - what happened? Didn't this finish more than 24 hours ago? And we've heard nothing from anyone who attended? :o Wait a gorram-minute ... this is the Chaos Cup! :P They've all been dragged into the Realm of Chaos, and will return to us in the form of a matching set of porceline ducks. :wink:
Does that mean Valen has been turned into a beautiful swan? :lol:
More likely an Emu!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Sorry was out sick yesterday.

Yeah ... there were 18 folks which actually isn't a bad size for a US based tournament outside a convention.

However GW is seriously upping the ante ... the 1st prize for the Chaos Cup was a 16 man team of the winner's choice painted by the GW staff with oversight and assistance by a 14 time Golden Daemon winner ... so for all those of you that had better things to do than attend the Chaos Cup ... Frank thanks you for his wonderful 1st prize.

Doing this from memory:

Winner: Frank Bedford (Solarflare) with Dark Elves
Runner Up: Dean Peltis with Skaven
Most Valuable Coach: Valen with Dwarves

Best Painted: Michael (need to get last name) with a very incredible looking Pro Elf team.

Most TDs outside of the top 3 awarded above: Jim Morgan's Chaos Dwarves

Least TDs allowed outside of the top 3: Ethan Rippon's Goblins

Most CAS: Alex Schutte with Khemri

Best Sportsman: Philip (need to get last name) with Amazons

==========================

... it should be noted that Valen tied for Best Sportsman (so I don't know why you guys give him such a hard time).

And Joe .... for all your critics of the Chaos Cup ... at least we have GW's backing which isn't easy to get for SG events. They have a permanent stadium for the event. There is a permanent spot in the Bunker for the Chaos Cup trophy and a plaque showing the winners from each year. They are making etched crystal trophies for the top 3 winners and the GW staff painted 16 man team is just about the best first place prize I've ever seen offered for any BB event.

Why it doesn't get more players ... got me. US geographics are a serious pain to deal with. But they have already agreed on the date for next year and they are going to offer the same 1st prize next year and with the double NAF points as well ... I'm hoping the tournament breaks 30 to 40 players next year ... we'll see.

Galak

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

pretty nice first price that

did you play galak?

flings?

how you get on?

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

With that kind of prize (better than the BloodBowl itself by miles), I guess that are really trying to push the Chaos Cup at its current venue. Fair enough. :) That wasn't common knowledge though IIRC ... if it was your numbers may well have been higher.

I'm not critical of your organisation Tom, or of the venue in itself. I'm sure it's great. I just feel the major tournaments should be something special ... a major event on the circuit. If you moved the event to Spain for a year (for example), you'd easily top 100 coaches.

The awarding of mega NAF points for what must be one of the smallest tournament on the circuit kind of rankles me too. Though I understand that this is very minor issue. :wink:

So, if the Chaos Cup isn't going anywhere, what about introducing a sixth "floating" major? I really like this idea ... rewarding those countries with a vibrant and well organised BB community with both a major event and some NAF bonuses. The introduction of the Oz major already sets the precedent for going beyond the traditional four majors of the fluff (within the NAF at least).

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Majortusk
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Majortusk »

how about just going to the chaos cup now that you know what it entails?

Andy Welton
[url=http://www.bloodbowlcentral.com]Blood Bowl Central[/url]
Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

Well I was going to try and finally make it to The Chaos Cup next year to meet some new faces. That prize makes me want to go even more! Nice one Tom!

Hopefully things will work out. I'd say I'd drag some clowns from my league along, but I have given up on them as they always bail and leave me with partially formed plans. :lol:

What's the date for next year?

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Majortusk wrote:how about just going to the chaos cup now that you know what it entails?
How many tournaments have you been to in England? :wink:

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Nazgit wrote:The awarding of mega NAF points for what must be one of the smallest tournament on the circuit kind of rankles me too. Though I understand that this is very minor issue. :wink:
The trick is to increase the number of folks that come rather than move it.
So, if the Chaos Cup isn't going anywhere, what about introducing a sixth "floating" major? I really like this idea ... rewarding those countries with a vibrant and well organised BB community with both a major event and some NAF bonuses. The introduction of the Oz major already sets the precedent for going beyond the traditional four majors of the fluff (within the NAF at least).
That's an issue for the NAF. The OZ Major was added so that each major continent had access to a Major event. With England and Germany having majors the feeling at present was that Europe+UK had representation. If the NAF thought there was a need for a 6th major to float around Europe so be it. But AT PRESENT ... all the majors are run by GW ... even the Oz one is finally getting GW interest (not sure if it did get it finally this year or not, but I know they were talking to Babs).

IF GW-Spain agreed to run a Major event ... maybe the NAF would be interested. The point of the Majors was per my understanding to have yearly reminders to GW that the BB community exists.

The other thing GW and I talked about doing is the below for next year's Chaos Cup.

1) Attendance for the Chaos Cup will be $20.
2) If you attended in 2005 and bring a friend, you get $10 off your entry fee for each friend up to 2 friends OR an extra limited edition Chaos Cup figure for each friend (your choice of the 2 options ... so bring 3 friends and get $20 off and an extra figure)
3) If you did not attend last year and bring 1 to 2 friend, you each get in for $15.
4) If you did not attend last year and bring 3 or more friends, you each get in for $15 and each get an extra limited edition Chaos Cup figure.

Add this to the 1st place 16 man team painted prize ... and now you have some pretty good draw to visit.

Galak

Galak

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

kinda expensive to bring friends from here ;]

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Grumbledook wrote:kinda expensive to bring friends from here ;]
Understood ... but Valen almost came over with 3 friends.

Galak

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

valen doesn't have 3 friends!

I hope to make it next year, don't believe anyone has done all 4 majors yet

hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Grumbledook wrote:valen doesn't have 3 friends!

I hope to make it next year, don't believe anyone has done all 4 majors yet
In one year? Or overall?

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

overall