What to expect at Dungeonbowl

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

What to expect at Dungeonbowl

Post by Indigo »

Without wanting to offend any German members here, inc. all the people who I've met at tourneys and I'm friendly with, what can we expect at Dungeonbowl?

Reading some posts here about previous events, other German tournaments etc. suggests that perhaps more than other countries, German players tend to enforce rules like Illegal Procedure, 4 minute turns, no pass measuring before a pass declared etc.

Is this true? Can we expect to play a load of "rules lawyers" more intent on winning using rules technicalities than in the spirit of the game? Will I need to bring a hammer to smash up chess-timers?

And will there be shaking cups as far as the eye can see?

Don't misunderstand my question, it's not an insult, just a response to observations I've made...

Reason: ''
Mootaz
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mootaz »

I've never had any of these problems at any German tournament. Of course, the Dungeonbowl is a big tournament, so the amount of "kids" could be higher. But I've not had this feeling last year.

But I think you will see alot of shaking cups :wink:
I don't use them but what do you see wrong with them?

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Mootaz wrote:But I think you will see alot of shaking cups :wink:
They slow the game down where they don't need to. I don't mind people taking a little while over THINKING about moves, but is it really necessary to add extra time to such a simple thing like rolling dice? (unless you have a little man stored inside the cup who changes the way the dice land :lol: )

Sharky2k
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sharky2k »

some choaches want to play with clock and no measuring before declare a passing action. these guys are not the "normale" bloodbowl players, these are most guys that play normal warhammer tournaments. the other guys play the hmmm let me call it tournament normal rules ;)

ah and yes dice shakers are common :)

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23605][img]http://botzliga.de/community/images/pics/bembelbowl/bembelbowl.jpg[/img][/url]
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Be prepared for some rudeness from GW's side though... Somehow they have a difficulty talking English :wink: . Hope they fixed that for this year though.

But I liked last year's tournament, no opponent of mine had any difficulty talking English to me.

Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

the only problem i have with dice cups is when they slam it down and all the models jump one square to the left

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Sharky2k
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sharky2k »

Hangus wrote:the only problem i have with dice cups is when they slam it down and all the models jump one square to the left
most players slam then not so hard on the table.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23605][img]http://botzliga.de/community/images/pics/bembelbowl/bembelbowl.jpg[/img][/url]
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

its alright i just set the player up one square to the right :D

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

that reminds me of buying ear plugs this year - i always get a headache when playing against coaches with dice cups. :roll:

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

lucifer wrote:
They slow the game down where they don't need to. I don't mind people taking a little while over THINKING about moves, but is it really necessary to add extra time to such a simple thing like rolling dice? (unless you have a little man stored inside the cup who changes the way the dice land :lol: )
Stop moaning, I use a dice cup and they rock :wink: :lol: :lol:

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Mordredd
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mordredd »

When I first played someone who used a dice cup I thought it was a bit unnecessary, and he did slam it down a bit hard. But now, a few years on, I'd be very happy if use of dice cups was mandatory. I've had too many games where my opponent's dice have (at least seemed to) almost never rotate after leaving their hands and therefore their 'rolls' were not random. And asking them to please make sure that future rolls actually roll seems to only cause offence as none have been able to take it as anything other than an accusation of cheating.

If you put the dice in a cup, put your hand over the top, shake vigorously and then roll from the cup then it cannot be seem as anything other than a fair roll. And if you slam the cup down (preferably not too hard) then it traps the dice so you never lose rolls (and time) thanks to losing dice off the side of the table. As far as I'm concerned dice cups are brilliant and I'm always happier when playing someone who uses one.

Mordredd's Apocalypse: the Old World's premier Dwarf Magnet. :-?
hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Valen wrote:
lucifer wrote:
Then you need to get a dice cup with a flat bottom. That should stop it rocking valen!!! :roll: :roll:

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Valen

Post by Valen »

Mordredd wrote:When I first played someone who used a dice cup I thought it was a bit unnecessary, and he did slam it down a bit hard. But now, a few years on, I'd be very happy if use of dice cups was mandatory. I've had too many games where my opponent's dice have (at least seemed to) almost never rotate after leaving their hands and therefore their 'rolls' were not random. And asking them to please make sure that future rolls actually roll seems to only cause offence as none have been able to take it as anything other than an accusation of cheating.

If you put the dice in a cup, put your hand over the top, shake vigorously and then roll from the cup then it cannot be seem as anything other than a fair roll. And if you slam the cup down (preferably not too hard) then it traps the dice so you never lose rolls (and time) thanks to losing dice off the side of the table. As far as I'm concerned dice cups are brilliant and I'm always happier when playing someone who uses one.
I agree it stops people thinking good dice is cheating ti sjust luck as it should be

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Valen

Post by Valen »

hoomin_erra wrote:
Valen wrote:
lucifer wrote: They slow the game down where they don't need to. I don't mind people taking a little while over THINKING about moves, but is it really necessary to add extra time to such a simple thing like rolling dice? (unless you have a little man stored inside the cup who changes the way the dice land :lol: )
Then you need to get a dice cup with a flat bottom. That should stop it rocking valen!!! :roll: :roll:
Stop posting and satrt taking your world cup turns

Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

Mordredd wrote:If you put the dice in a cup, put your hand over the top, shake vigorously and then roll from the cup then it cannot be seem as anything other than a fair roll. And if you slam the cup down (preferably not too hard) then it traps the dice so you never lose rolls (and time) thanks to losing dice off the side of the table.
Thats a very fair point. Never really had a view either way on the matter but this is a very good summary.
My only concern was I borrowed Darkson's at Spikey a few months back thinking this was a fair and simple thing to do. Mino, 3D blitz, triple skull. OK, so I lauched the ****** cup somewhere across the room but yeas, I can see overall they have merit.

BUT - Indigo's point at the beginning is a fair question. The bloodbowl community seems to get bigger (excellent) and as it does, so do the various interpretations. I played six damn good blokes at Eurobowl this year but I am sure every game was slightly different due to rule interpretation. My games on Sunday v Austrian and Danish players were both great but they had VERY different ideas as to how the same rule worked. I just let them have it how they wanted- hey its a game folks- but in some tourneys consistency is kinda handy.