Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

ace2k00
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

The Spiky Club Open, Rule Pack Review 2006

Post by ace2k00 »

Hi Guys

if you remember back when i first set up the event i came to you guys for ideas and we had a great first tournament..

I Think its time for a review of the tournament rules for the open..

TEAM SELECTION
Teams should be selected from the Teams section of the Living Rulebook. A MAXIMUM of 1,100,000 Gold Coins are available to Field your team.

BIG GUYS
Big Guys may be purchased for your team. See the rules in the living rulebook for more details.

WIZARDS
Team wizards may not be hired as the event’s wizards take offence to anyone who thinks they are better than them.

STAR PLAYERS
Star Players will not be allowed as they are unique and it seems unfitting that more than one team could use them at the same time.

.TEAM ROSTERS & M.V.P’S
Your teams will not progress at normal levels. At the end of each game, each team coach must allocate a player on his side as the M.V.P.
The M.V.P of the match will receive one new skill form his skill lists.
No player may receive more than one M.V.P Award during the event.
Any Coach, Found Changing Skills around between matches will be punished by resetting his roster.

DEAD AND SERIOUS INJURIES
Due to some unscrupulous wizards the normal life of a blood bowl player has been prolonged for this event. If a player dies or is seriously injured during the match a wizard appears in the dug out and whisks him away to his tower for full healing/re-animation.
In other words.
Players, which die during a match, are healed to full health for the next match with all skills and fundamentals intact.

TIME LIMIT
There will be a time limit of two hours on each game so play fast. Nobody likes a time waster.
If the game has not finished by the 5 minute warning you will be told to even up turns and then the score at that time will be taken as the final score
in the event that a Game within the Play offs is ties at the end of regulation, there will be a penalty kick out.. the players should roll a d6 each the highest score wins, this should be a best of three attemts..

SCORING
We will play a total of 6 games of Blood Bowl over the weekend. The First your first 4 games in a league format. The 5th & 6th games will see the top 4 teams from each league running for a chance at winning the trophy the rest will be battling for pride and to improve your over all ranking for the weekend
Games will be scored as follows:
· 10 points for a win
· 5 points for a draw
· 0 points for a loss
· One bonus point for each Touch Down scored up to a maximum of 3
· One bonus point for each Casualty (DISCOUNTING FOULS & FANS) caused up to a maximum of 3
· Total Up ALL Casualties and Td’s for each team if one team scores more than 6 casualties and touchdowns over their opponents score then add an ADDITIONAL one bonus point

Sportsmanship
There will be no sportsmanship scores added to this years event, however if you are deemed to be in breach of sportsmanship you will receive a yellow card this will deduct points from your score, if you persist in un-sportsman like behaviour then you will be red carded. This will eliminate you from the finals if you reach them.

PAINTING
Painting will be scored out of a possible 25 points and will be used to find the best painter at the event, so will not be added to the total scores.
This will be scored by the event referee’s
Team Painted: 5 points
Team Based: 5 Points
Team has Converted Models: 1-6 Points
All Members of the Team Highly Detailed, Eyes, Numbers ect: 1-6 Points
Nice Touch, Their own dugout, scenic base ect: 1-6 Points

the red text is changed from last year

Please post any comments or ideas in this thread and i will sort through them..

Oh.. and Im looking for help with this years event.. i have realised that i cant do it all myslef... so if anyone wishes to help out with any aspect of the event please let me know...

cheers

Dave

Reason: ''
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Sorry Dave, but can't find them there.... :(

dwarfcoach
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl
Location: That odd twilight that exists 'cause you have only had 3.5 hours sleep

Post by dwarfcoach »

Me neither. Where should I be looking...?

*Mr. T pities the fool. Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off. *
Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

And I think you meant to say "I cant do it all myself" :-?

As a local and attendant of many BB tournies now, I guess I should help mate. As I only live 2 miles away it will be easy for us to communicate.

However......I do have some ideas and would like to input and I too didnt get anywhere on that link. Let me know mate.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I think the Pearly K&Q scoring system is the best I have encountered. The Spiky system leaves a lot to be desired IMHO.

For reference (IIRC):
Spiky
10 points for a win
5 points for a draw
1 Point for each TD or CAS (max 4)
1 bonus point for scoring >5 TDs + CAS than your opponent.

Pearlies
32 point system:
Winner gets 17 points to start
+3 per net TD
+1/-1 per net CAS (up to a max of +/- 3).
A clean sheet is rewarded by +1 per TD scored, up to a maximum of 3.
The loser gets 32 minus the winner's score.
In the event of a draw then the score is 16 +/- net CAS.
No one can score more than 32 points and no less than 0 points.
At Spiky, I remember losing a couple of games very narrowly in the final turn, both 0-1. I got either zero or one point for these games, which is less than I could get for losing 8-0 (provided I scored a couple of CAS)!!!! :o :-?

I felt that the Pearlies system rewarded good play, for both the winner and the loser. I won a couple of games by the odd TD there, and my opponent got some points, which is what they deserve after a close game IMO. I didn't start to get amongst the big points until I recorded some big wins.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
ace2k00
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ace2k00 »

mmm yeah sorry the rules pack had been taken down.. i will post it here

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

What are the dates of this tourney this year, I may be interested in coming to this. :wink:

GO STAMPEDERS!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Torg, it will be sometime in October.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

No definate dates yet? I'm going to have to book my holidays this week (or maybe next) so I was hoping for a firm date.

GO STAMPEDERS!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Sent Dave an email asking if there's a firm date.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Dave,

For the play off/final games I'd recommend that in the case of a draw in the game that the tournament points be calculated as normal and the higher placed player declared the winner. In the event that this is still a tie to then resort to the dice roll. This will reward the player who has performed better throughout the rest of the tournament.

My 2 coins of lowest denomination.

ace2k00
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ace2k00 »

a sound idea..

ace2k00
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ace2k00 »

So what do you other guys think of the pearly system?.. is there anything you guys want?

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Speaking personally I see the two systems as different. Neither is better or worse than the other. And this is where BB tournaments thrive (as opposed to, say, WFB tournaments). Viva la difference! I say. Besides which, keeping it different from the rest keeps the players on their toes. :D

Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

My personal view is I prefer straight six games and top points wins but I agree with Lucifer.
I aim to attendend close on 14 NAF events this year, 11 of them weekends and 5 in Europe. If they were all the same then the variation of teams and rosters wouldn't come up. Variation is good and Spikey is unique with its "after 4 games it's down to 4 players" idea.

Balance is a key thing - just look around this site and see views about which race is too strong etc. By having different tourney rule sets and little differentiators then each has thier own little uniqueness.

Dont change too much Dave - maybe get the final under better scrutiny for time keeping perhaps as that was the "gripe of every other tourney in 2005" but on the whole - it aint that broke and our American friends having a saying for that situation.