Tournament skill progression

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

I like variation of tournies so I would be happy to play one or two where all skills are up front and indeed where you can take the extra ST/AG or whatever. I would be happy to play something like that.

And Valen - what you did last year for Newquay was great and I would suggest you keep it the same. The TR115 and 2 skills was different and that itself made it a good tourney. Why change? It was fine.

Reason: ''
kithor2002
Legend
Legend

Post by kithor2002 »

I also like the idea of varying the skill formats.
But anyway for my opinion stat. increases will be a bit too powerful and give some teams a greater advantage than others (like a St4 or Ag5 WD or an Ag4 skink :o ).

Member of Team Hellhound at WC II Amsterdam 2011 and WC III Lucca 2015
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

Lycos wrote:And Valen - what you did last year for Newquay was great and I would suggest you keep it the same. The TR115 and 2 skills was different and that itself made it a good tourney. Why change? It was fine.
Your probably right, I like to tinker :lol: :lol:

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Aramil wrote:Definately Tr110 is the best solution to have balance between races...
There looks like there is pretty much nothing to choose between TR100 & TR110 - some races do better, some do worse but the overall balance is about the same.

http://www.irwilliams.com/naf/by_tr.html

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Mordredd
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mordredd »

I like the idea. My league has been thinking of holding a local tourney and I've been pushing for skills being selected before the event. I don't think that I'd go for any stat increases (Wardancers are annoying enough at AG4 thank you). I probably wouldn't go for any traits either.
Aino wrote: Ps: Plus in these options ....
You have 4 skills plus one of those 4 options:
1. one ST+1
2. one AG+1 and a skill
3. one MO+1 and a trait
4. two traits

Where are the mutations ?? =P
Traits=doubles=mutations :wink:

Mordredd's Apocalypse: the Old World's premier Dwarf Magnet. :-?
Aramil
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aramil »

Aino wrote:Aramils post even suggest there were none, or almost no Chaos coaches around =/
There are 2/3 coaches in Italy that sometimes play chaos in tournaments... Liam came to the Italian Open with Undeads... the other two didn't show up :(
Personally I think that the Farina System is really good for chaos... an Ag4 beastman, 2 block CW, 2 Guard CW, 1 Break Tackle mino already from the first match... well, that's much better than any other tourney! :wink:

Aino wrote:Ps: Plus in these options ....
You have 4 skills plus one of those 4 options:
1. one ST+1
2. one AG+1 and a skill
3. one MO+1 and a trait
4. two traits

Where are the mutations ?? =P
Obviously mutations are traits... so if you choose opt.4 you can have two mutations 8)

--------------

About stats increases... BloodBowl is also stats increases, mutations, doubles... why keeping them far from the game?
If you take ST+1 that means you have one skilled player less than the others and a player on the field that will be blocked and fouled every turn!
Sure, St4 WD is annoying, but also a Side Step gutter runner isn't so nice to meet... and two are better/worst than one!

If you look at the IO results, you see that the ST5 WD teams didn't show up in the top10... instead two Dark Elf team did it.
Also lizardmen were lowly ranked, also if they had access to the Ag4 skink...

The more we test this system, the more we can understand if it's really balances as we (me, Farina e other Italians) think or it needs adjoustments :wink:

Creator of the Italian Open, the oldest two-days BloodBowl tournament in Italy
Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

Lycos wrote:I like variation of tournies so I would be happy to play one or two where all skills are up front and indeed where you can take the extra ST/AG or whatever. I would be happy to play something like that.
That, of course, goes without saying

gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

I let chaos and nurgle teams take mutations on non-big guys as normal skills. it's been tested in 6 tourneys already in the states with no real advantage for the Chaos teams but more fun for them. (limit 1 claw)

if you think about it, if they are taking a mutation they are turning down other needed skills for chaos---block, sure hands, guard or tackle. so it works pretty good.

NFL: Praise NUFFLE!!!

Ronin Nuffle Lover.....Want a piece of me?

Werewolf Gambler

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,gken1,white,blue.png[/img][/url]
Glorian Underhill
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Glorian Underhill »

I like the call of it:

The Farina system. :P

and don´t forget the chicago system. Your opponent can use your dice, or they cannot been used at all.

And everyone knows the swiss system. :-)

Spike!ImageSchau - Der deutsche Blood Bowl Podcast
http://www.soehne-sigmars.de/feed/spikeschau/
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

In which case we have the "English Farina" system at Waterbowl ;-)

TR 105, just to be different. It means that you can't quite get everything you want in all teams (e.g. Orcs). Also gives the elves a hand up as they can start with the extra reroll (leader). AG5 Wardancer? Not that big a deal? They can't have anything else though.... Str 4, Strip Ball or Side Step would probably be better starting skills

stick_with_poo_on_the_end
has a big box

Post by stick_with_poo_on_the_end »

Yep I definatly agree, this system looks great and you will prob see a lot more teams that are "slow out of the box" such as elves and chaos doing better.

I think i will be taking Chaos to the Waterbowl, (with a very silly roster) just for a giggle to see how in works out.

I agree with Gken1, let chaos and Nurgle take mutations as normal. Chaos are such a big part of Bloodbowl, but you don't see enough of them at tourneys.

Word to Your Mother.
ace2k00
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ace2k00 »

i think that that system is awsome. it gives a coach a chance to customise his team to his style of play before the event.. i would like to se traits/mutations left in but i agree that stat increases are too much..

as such i am gonna look into this for spiky this year...

Rolleriño
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Rolleriño »

ianwilliams wrote:
Definately Tr110 is the best solution to have balance between races...
There looks like there is pretty much nothing to choose between TR100 & TR110 - some races do better, some do worse but the overall balance is about the same.

http://www.irwilliams.com/naf/by_tr.html
Try the 105! It is the most balanced!
In Italy we had 7 tournaments with TR 105 during 2005:
7 different coaches winners with 4 different races (3 skaven, 2 Norse, 1 Undead and 1 Human).

I think that stats increases are too much for a Tournament. Some races became overpowered (an Undead team with ag4 Ghoul...).

A lot of italian coaches tell me about how boring was to play 6 games with the same team. Skill progression is a way to change the team tattics during the tournament!!!