Using trams in Amsterdam

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Using trams in Amsterdam

Post by Yavatol »

For those who are going to visit the Dutch Open, I expect some of you to use the tram quite a lot to travel to and from the venue. So here is some info to help you do that as cheap as possible.

You can pay a ticket in the tram itself but this is more expensive than using a 'strippenkaart' (or a stripcard in English). The strippen card will allow you to travel 7.5 times within the center zone for 6.70 while a individual ticket bought in the tram will cost at least 1.60. There should be no need to travel beyond the central zone. (The venue is just a little bit outside the zone, so you can get of the tram at the zone border and walk the last few minutes).

You can buy a stripcard at the Railwaystation at little shops called 'kiosk' and at the bookshops, too.

A stripcard has 15 strips, and you have to pay two strips when traveling through one zone (hence 7.5 trips). Traveling trough 2 zones will cost you 3 strips, etc. You pay by stamping them in a machine or having them stamped by the tramconductor when you get in. Probably is easiest to ask the first time.

What is important that you stamp them in order. So on your first trip you need to stamp the strip marked '2' indicating you have spend the first two strips. If you stamp it at the wrong end you have wasted the entire card. You can share a stripcard with more people by having it stamped twice. Stamping 2 and 4 indicates two one-zone trips, while only stamping 4 indicates one three-zone trip.

Once stamped the payement remains valid for one hour (the stamp has a timemark) and you can take any bus, tram, or underground in the center zone during that time.

Reason: ''
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

And if you join forces you can even get a 45 strippen card that will be even more profitable! You can share cards, as long as you make a stamp for every person driving along with you! :D

Stunty King of Lutèce Bowl 2006!:lol:

Owner of a "Deputy Dook Badge"
kaboom
Super Star
Super Star

Post by kaboom »

hitch hiking can be cool... :wink:

the come back of the come back
Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

Draco wrote:And if you join forces you can even get a 45 strippen card that will be even more profitable! You can share cards, as long as you make a stamp for every person driving along with you! :D
I advice against this as you'll save only a euro (or less IIRC) but at the risk of loosing it in its entirely, or ending up with half a card unused.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

How long do they last? Could we buy one strip and it will last us all weekend? And I am assuming we need a tram to the venue from the hostel?

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

The stripcard is valid for two years or so (officially until 1 year after the next raise in price, the last raise was very recently). The stamps are valid for 1 hour. So one stripcard should see you through the whole weekend. If you have any left over strips you can even save it and use them next year!

Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

That's very helpful, thanks. Appreciated