Da GROTS Kup, pics

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Colin
Legend
Legend

Da GROTS Kup, pics

Post by Colin »

The GROTS (Greater RedDeer Organisation of Tacitcal Silliness) gaming club in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada just held a tournament, da GROTS Kup organised and hosted by yours truly on this day April 1 (no April Fools joke) :wink: . We had a great turnout with 12 participants from Calgary and Edmonton as well as those from the GROTS gaming club here in Red Deer. Here are some pics;

Some of the action from round 1

Our resident painting expert, Glyn Evans (also known as Zaphod) was the expert painting judge for the Best Painted team award which occured during the lunch break.
The winning team painted by Andrew McKechnie, though he can in dead last in the tourney he did go home with a prize. :wink:

Second round action

Third round action

Fourth and final round action

Carson Jarvis, winner of the Best Sportsmanship award

As mentioned Andrew won the best painted team award. Both Carson and Andrew are members of the GROTS gaming club.

Second place went to Scott McGaffin of Edmonton

First place and Da GROTS Kup trophy went to Chris "Toppy" Trollope of Calgary (he actually took home the smaller version on the corner of the table, the actual Kup stays in Red Deer on display in the store) :wink:

Congrads to all who showed up and participated. All had a great time, next year will attempt to be bigger and better. :wink:

Reason: ''
GO STAMPEDERS!
Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

Sweet. I love seeing Canadian tournaments.

Is that the same Hasslefree Paintslave Zaphod from the FOD?

http://www.impactminiatures.com
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Correct Chairface, he's the resident painting expert at the club and runs a painting clinic and painting contest every year. He's also the head of TAMP (The Alberta Minatures Painters) and doesn't leave too far from Red Deer.

GO STAMPEDERS!
lawquoter
Legend
Legend

Post by lawquoter »

great pics torg. Looks like a great time and a good turnout. What, Torg's now infamous dwarves decided they were too good to take to the pitch?

:lol: :wink:

NUFFLE SUCKS!
LQ says " I may be slow, but the sh*ttiness of this beer hasn't hit me yet."

I twist nuffle's teat and laugh.
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

My dwarves we there, but as I was taking the pics, you didn't get to see them. :wink:
I played this year as we had a odd number, but hopefully we will get more people next year and I won't have to play (though it was fun this year) and will just run it. Debating whether to leave it as a one day or expand it to a 2 day tourney, we shall see.

GO STAMPEDERS!
Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

Torg wrote:Correct Chairface, he's the resident painting expert at the club and runs a painting clinic and painting contest every year. He's also the head of TAMP (The Alberta Minatures Painters) and doesn't leave too far from Red Deer.
Wow! You're lucky to have him judge the contest. He's rediculously talented!

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

He just came in on our lunch break and looked at the teams and gave me a list of his top picks (who he thought was 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc), it didn't take much of his time but glad he could do it. Felt that a neutral judge is better than people voting (which becomes a popularity contest and the best painted team doesn't necessarily win). :wink:

GO STAMPEDERS!
Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

Good idea. I'm sure that he was fair. Do you have a better pic of the winning team?

Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Unfortunately no.

GO STAMPEDERS!
DesTroy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DesTroy »

So Toppy won the thing, eh? Does this mean we who compete at the Apocalypse are lucky not to have to face him (as he runs that tourney)? Or did he just luck out? :D

Great pix Torg! Wish I could have been there!

---troy
[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img] [b]NBA Novice Heretic[/b]
As renowned bard Bruce Slannstein said, "Blind faith - in anyone or anything - will get your ogre killed."
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

He played Woodies and didn't luck out to win. You can win one game through sheer luck (having great dice rolls while your opponant always rolls crap), but kinda hard to do that for a whole tourney. I heard he usually wins his league as well, so wasn't surprised he won (BTW, he never lost and only had one tie).

GO STAMPEDERS!
AbBBA
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AbBBA »

Torg did a good job of getting people together - I'm really glad to see growing leagues in Edmonton as well as in Red Deer above the two established leagues in Lethbridge and Calgary.

This is GREAT WORK - Keep it up everyone - So when is Lethbridge gong to host a tourny?

And as for me not playing in the Apoc Challenge on July 1 & 2 - I actually feel realy good about running the tourny with support from the AbBBA board members.

Toppy

DesTroy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DesTroy »

Well, Toppy, it's now easier to find a place to play since Showcase Comics moved one door west to their new location, which features a dedicated gaming room in back (colloquially known as "the Bobcave" after store owner Bob Hoff). So you guys may yet see a proper tournament down here! :D It's just a question of time, money and effort. But isn't it always?

There actually was a time back in the late 80's (playing First Edition!) when we were simply running tournaments every month or so rather than playing a full league, but there was no outside participation to speak of...I still have the trophy we used. Never won the thing, but I have it. It's actually a brick glued to a trophy base...we would stuff the entry fee cash into the holes of the brick! :lol: Who knows, it may come back...heh heh heh... :wink:

---troy
[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img] [b]NBA Novice Heretic[/b]
As renowned bard Bruce Slannstein said, "Blind faith - in anyone or anything - will get your ogre killed."
Rustycan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rustycan »

It was a great tourney Torg! Will be there again next time to regain my cup!!!! Toppy will be crushed!!! 8)

When I was a kid, my father used to say the two worst things in the world are Ignorance and Apathy,
Well I dont know and I dont care!!