Calgary Apocolyse tourney pics

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Colin
Legend
Legend

Calgary Apocolyse tourney pics

Post by Colin »

Spent the past weekend in Calgary for third annual AbBBA Apocolypse Challenge, eight games of BB over 2 days, it was a little grueling but fun.

The group I came down with, on the left two of TBB's posters Father and Balbaroy, Scott's the next (though don't recall him being on TBB) and on the right is TBB's Rustycan.

The group that came up from Lethbridge, can't remember all the names (sorry about that), but TBB's own DesTroy is the one sitting in front with the "You've just been Nuffled!" t-shirt.

We got started bright and early on Saturday July 1 (Happy Canada Day!!) and would play 4 rounds. I was playing Dwarves just like last year. I tried to get a Necro team painted up to use, but then remembered about the TBB legacy fig I promised to do (that was due by the end of June) and didn't get the team finished in time to go, so had to use the dwarves, which was ok.

My first game was against against Tom's (he has a TBB login name but can't remember it) Wood Elf team, The Art School Killers. Lost 2-0 but scored 4-1 in CAS.

Some of the other round one action. The tourney was held in a different location this year, though a little hotter was a definate improvement.

The AbBBA (Alberta Blood Bowl Association) Apocolypse Chalice

Round 2 opponant was Glen who played the Dark Elf team, The Darkside Raiders. I was able to bounce back to a 3-1 win also score 5-0 in CAS.

More of the round 2 action.

Round three had me facing off against elves again, but this time it was Dale's (Father on TBB) High Elf team, Passing Fancy. Squeaked out a 2-1 win and got 3-1 in CAS.

Some of the round 3 action.

Round 4 and the final round of the day had me facing Alex and his Wood Elf team, the Desert Runners (?? :-? I guess there was a lot of clear cutting happingi in those elve's forest). He looked happy at the start of the match but that would change quite quickly as Nuffle screwed him over really good, never saw so many 1's and skulls in one game. I won 3-0 and 4-0 in CAS.

Some of the Round 4 action
The last game to finish that day....I have to say those Calgary players all seem to play VERY slow.

Our host Toppy (ToppyT on TBB) looking very festive in his Hawaiian shirt, but as it was fairly hot in there, was quite appropriate. :wink:

The end of day one leader board showing that I was tied for 3rd overall, tied for 3rd in TDs and tied for first for most CAS.

Day 2, Sunday July 2

Selene, the resident Witch Elf (sorry couldn't resist :wink: ) was my first opponant of the day, facing her Dark Elf team, Wolves Redux, I could only manage a 1-1 tie (screwed up in the last turn of the first half and threw a one die block which came up skulls instead of going for the throw that could've resulted in another TD), but I did score 6-0 CAS.

Round 5 action

Scott's Khemri team that was the eventual winner of the Best Painted award (sorry didn't get a better pic, but great looking conversions as well as the paint job :wink: )
Most of the team pics I took didn't turn out well, but I did get a good shot of Selene's DE team, check out the lava bases.

Round 6 saw me facing off against Steve's Human team, Thoughts for Jocks (players were named after philosophers). Steve seemed very exited to play me and he wasn't disappointed as my traditional tourney 2nd day crash and burn was in full effect. I lost 0-2 and the same 0-2 for CAS.

Round 6 action.

Round 7 had me face off against Sean's (Balbaroy on TBB) Dwarf team, the Bad Luck Bombers (who didn't live up to their name). There were 4 dwarf teams at the tourney (including mine) but his was the only one I faced. I lost again 1-2 and 1-3 in CAS.

Round 7 action.

Round 8, the last round (phew!), had me face Corey's High Elf team, the Silver Dragons. He doesn't look very impressed for good reason as he just couldn't stop rolling ones. He seemed like a really nice guy but Nuffle did screw him over and I won 3-0 (of course when it didn't matter as I was already out of the running) and 4-0 in CAS.

Round 8 action.
We all had to wait for this last game to finish (did I mention that the players from Calgary were VERY slow players? :wink: :P )

Once the slowpokes finished, it was time to had out the hardware.

Toppy doing the last minute calculations with his wife looking on.

In the mean time we took a group pic, total of eighteen players for this tourney, up 2 from last year.

As mentioned earlier, Scott got the Best Painted Team award.

Selene, though being a Witch Elf was able to collect the Best Sportsmanship award.

Sorry forgot this guy's name but he's the manager of the Chinook Centre GW store (in Calgary) and he got the "Raspberry Slushy" award for taking the most CAS against (he played Woodies, yes there were quite a few elf teams at this tourney). He seemed more excited about winning the actual raspberry slushy than the trophy itself.

Richard got the award for most CAS inflicted (beat me out by ONE, you bastard!!! Just kidding of course, Richard's a great guy, gongrads. Would've felt a bit better if it hadn't been so close, ah well)

Dale (Father on TBB) collected the trophy for most TDs scored (yes another elf team :roll: what a surprise! :P )

Toby (TBB's Rustycan) can in 2nd overall (same as the first year of the tourney when he last attended)

Steve is stoked to win the Apocolypse Chalice for being champion of the tourney (the smaller trophy on the table behind is the actual one he gets to take home with him, he gets his name on the big one).

It was a great time had by all. Thanks again to Toby for letting us crash at his place for the weekend and also to Toppy for putting on another great tourney.

Reason: ''
GO STAMPEDERS!
Father911
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Father911 »

Thanks for posting the pics Torg, it was a great tornament. Kudos to Toppy for all his hard work. Now we just need to get a tornament rolling up north here... :D

DesTroy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DesTroy »

WHAT!? No pix of the wonderful scoreboard I created??? :P

Just kidding, oh Supreme Grand Heretic...I am most grateful for the T-shirt. GROVEL GROVEL GROVEL :wink:

Well, at least I didn't finish last, for the first time ever at this tournament...although 16th out of 18 isn't much of an improvement...the 2 wins I got were against guys from my league...same with the 1 tie game. Yikes. Nuffle seemed to be twice as angry at me for having accepted Torg's gift!!! No triple skulls this time, but it hardly mattered. Oh well... :roll:

---troy
[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img] [b]NBA Novice Heretic[/b]
As renowned bard Bruce Slannstein said, "Blind faith - in anyone or anything - will get your ogre killed."
AbBBA
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AbBBA »

3rd Annual Tournament results are up at

www.abbba.org

at the
Tournament Results (PDF File)

Great weekend, Looking forward to another one next year.

Man - Running things forever sucks.