Where's my mojo gone?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Where's my mojo gone?

Post by Deathwing »

:?:

I'm in a rut tournament wise, big time. Just seem to be drawing games I should be winning and losing games I should be drawing. Thing is I'm not getting spanked very often (although we all get the odd game that we're never really in with a chance) but sooooo many seem to have gone to the last turn and I'm just not getting the rub of the green at present. And a lot of my opponents of late have been pulling off plays verging on the ridiculous!

Going into the Albion Coast this year my NAF game record was a reasonably solid (if unspectacular) W49 D33 L28. A mighty single draw and 4 losses was enough to get me my first wooden spoon down there, and I followed that up with a 1/2/3 record at Carnage, good enough to place me 27th of 30. Adding in my miserable Tulips performance (where I failed to win a single game and finished 2nd bottom to Gobbos) and a slightly better Sat (2/0/1) at the Thrud Bowl, I've managed to win a whopping 3 out of my last 19 tourney games! :oops: (And one of those was against halflings! :o )

I just don't know what gives, granted the dice haven't been kind, but bloody hell.. it really has been a shockingly bad streak. Watch out at Spiky, I'm owed a run of luck big time!

Oh and while I'm here having a whinge, about the spurious rumour that I heard; i.e. a few people have said I'm always crap first game on a Sunday morning because I'm hungover...
I was intrigued enough to check....
... last time I lost on a Sunday morning was Sept 05 to Richy at Carnage... time before that was the Dutch Open Feb 04. So ner ner ner ner ner... :P

Reason: ''

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Then of course there's all the games you've missedSunday morning... ;)

Seriously, I know how you feel. I went through a few months like that late last/early this year, where I felt like I shouldn't even bother rolling dice. Was thinking of taking a roster with no rerolls, as they never worked etc. Strangely, it all picked up at the BB, where I played 5 games (none counting of course) and won 3 or 4 of them (loss to Dwarfcoach in an extremely hungover game Sunday morning :oops: ), and since then, it's not been to bad, no to good (exception being Albion).

Let's just hope I dont face you at Spiky, I think I owe you won for the AV rolls in Southampton. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

maybe you left it in a plant pot in a nottingham castle?

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

It is surprising how large a role luck plays in the outcome of a match, especially at tournaments. Playing in a league against noobs half the time, or with a TR gap, I tend to forget. I always used to think that the deciding factor was coaching ability, and that a good coach would beat an average one 9 times out of 10. Now I am not sure it is even more than 5/10. :wink: It is so often the small rolls that decide a game - the ones you don't even remember afterwards. Like only getting a pushback on a block that would have opened up a chain of 2D blocks. Or failing a GFI on the first turn.

I have a lot of respect for the coaches that constantly place high in tournaments. Lucifer and Gumboo must really be good to always have the edge over the dice. :D

Something that I recognise from PBeM is that luck comes in streaks. You can win a league and then a month later be in a position where you are losing eight games at once. :-? I find that once I feel I am on a bad streak, I stop playing positively - almost forgetting that the dice can come up 6 instead of 1. :)

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

helps that they use powergaming teams ;]

Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

Been a long time since we had a true Deathwing post.... and can you believe that Halfling win might have been the one against me at Thrudbowl when you needed extra time!! Soooo lucky.

But we do know what you mean. My awful run was not in tourneys (the odd game yes) but a spell in the ECBBL. It has to happen to all of us. I say it plenty of times, you get good ones and bad ones (meaning luck in games) and there is bound to be a run when you play as many games as you do that it goes all wrong.

You know your a top player, we know it, but you get bad luck, it happens. Just got roll through it.... (literally it seems).

TFF mod team
Gumbo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gumbo »

Mate, my tactic was to nobble you with vodka in our game, and seeing as I was winning on the 'vodkas conceded' by 5-0 by the first half, you cant really blame yourself.

Now...

TO THE BAR!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

I've had a ridiculously unlucky 3-tourney run last year too so I know exactly what you mean. It's so incredibly frustrating to lose your first games against good players due to a little bit of bad luck, then slide off to the lower tables, see your opponent try all kinds of stupid and down right ridiculous plays and succeed in them too while your simplest plays grant you immediate turnovers. :-?
Luckily that streak has ended.

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

probably in the envelope with my membership card and dice...... :roll:

(although I do have dice now, so my Mojo is unaffected - Thanks to Lycos for his assistance) :wink:

seriously though DW you've been through a lot, and I know what it means to work hard on machines, it's a labour of love...... :smoking:

you will rediscover your fun/game winning style, keep the faith :D

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
kithor2002
Legend
Legend

Post by kithor2002 »

Sorry to hear that Woody,

but this could be also a hint:
Maybe you should change the team....
Or did the record include all your ranked games?(I'm a bit lazy to look to the NAF page :wink: )

Or maybe all your opponents were a bit too eager because they sat opposite the NAF president :wink:

Anyway your mojo will return and maybe you'll win the next tournament :P

Member of Team Hellhound at WC II Amsterdam 2011 and WC III Lucca 2015
Glorian Underhill
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Glorian Underhill »

I lost my mojo on january 2006. The tourney record of my dwarfs got worse with every game. And then on the 28th of january my two wins where against a halfling in the first game, and then a win on round 6 against amazons on the table before the last table. I wasnt allowed to play on the last table because the halfling player from round 1 sat there. :roll:

After that most people told me to change my Team, get over dwarfs, try something new.

But I said NO! This is a test of Nuffl. He has granted me great wins in the past. Why does he hate me now. I have thought night and day of it until I came to the conclusion that I have to change something.

1st. If Im to drunk to count I have drank too much.
2nd. A hangover on Sunday focuses your thoughts. Get drunk every Saturday, but be sure to keep it all in yourself.

3rd and most important. Remeber when you pushed an opponent for the first time in your life out of bounds. Hold on to that feeling. Nuffl knows this and tries to spoil it anyway by smashing the opponent players into the cas box before they reach the sideline.

Worked well for me in the last three tourneys.

Spike!ImageSchau - Der deutsche Blood Bowl Podcast
http://www.soehne-sigmars.de/feed/spikeschau/
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Initially I was going to suggest you sell me your minis and use the money to get a whole mess of liquor and hire a hooker till I realized that may have been your problem in the first place. You're supposed to get the hooker drunk and then play BB with her, taking advantage of all her drunken, rookie mistakes on the pitch. Then laugh at her and kick her out of your room before midnight without ever laying a hand on her. Go to bed early and know when you show up on Sunday that all your friends got chlamydia the night before and you didn't. That will take the sting of losing out of the game. Feel better about yourself at the expense of others.

Simple huh?

Have fun!
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

you spelt losing wrong!

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

If that's the only thing you could nitpik out of that whole post I'll consider it a success. :P

Have fun!
Gumbo

Re: Where's my mojo gone?

Post by Gumbo »

Deathwing wrote::?:

I'm in a rut tournament wise, big time. Just seem to be drawing games I should be winning and losing games I should be drawing. Thing is I'm not getting spanked very often (although we all get the odd game that we're never really in with a chance) but sooooo many seem to have gone to the last turn and I'm just not getting the rub of the green at present. And a lot of my opponents of late have been pulling off plays verging on the ridiculous!

Going into the Albion Coast this year my NAF game record was a reasonably solid (if unspectacular) W49 D33 L28. A mighty single draw and 4 losses was enough to get me my first wooden spoon down there, and I followed that up with a 1/2/3 record at Carnage, good enough to place me 27th of 30. Adding in my miserable Tulips performance (where I failed to win a single game and finished 2nd bottom to Gobbos) and a slightly better Sat (2/0/1) at the Thrud Bowl, I've managed to win a whopping 3 out of my last 19 tourney games! :oops: (And one of those was against halflings! :o )

I just don't know what gives, granted the dice haven't been kind, but bloody hell.. it really has been a shockingly bad streak. Watch out at Spiky, I'm owed a run of luck big time!

Oh and while I'm here having a whinge, about the spurious rumour that I heard; i.e. a few people have said I'm always crap first game on a Sunday morning because I'm hungover...
I was intrigued enough to check....
... last time I lost on a Sunday morning was Sept 05 to Richy at Carnage... time before that was the Dutch Open Feb 04. So ner ner ner ner ner... :P
Try dwarves, cant go wrong with em!